Send Topic Print
Joeyt's Bike Build (Read 834 times)
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Joeyt's Bike Build
Reply #15 - 02/05/19 at 15:04:53

I've been looking into cone engineering as you recommended, sir. Their 12" shorty looks like it'd fit the look I'd like, but they don't offer that with a baffle. Would adding a lollipop of some sort inside the straight through portion or just before it in the header remedy the lack of a baffle, or should I just give up on a small muffler and get the "quiet-er" model? What do you personally run on Rex?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 02/05/19 at 15:08:47

I put the quieter reverse cone on beast but I'm still working thru some issues.

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/05/19 at 15:33:03

verslagen1 wrote on 02/05/19 at 15:08:47:

Vers! I've been meaning to inquire about your items, but first!

What issues have you been having with the quieter baffle?

Back to the items as I'd like to fix the issues before they rear their ugly heads. So as I understand, your chain tensioner+head plug total around $200? It's on my list just as soon as I find the cash!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 02/06/19 at 07:23:50

joeyt wrote on 02/05/19 at 15:04:53:
I've been looking into cone engineering as you recommended, sir. Their 12" shorty looks like it'd fit the look I'd like, but they don't offer that with a baffle. Would adding a lollipop of some sort inside the straight through portion or just before it in the header remedy the lack of a baffle, or should I just give up on a small muffler and get the "quiet-er" model? What do you personally run on Rex?

Did you look under "Motorcycle Exhaust Builder Components" on their site ?

REX has a Test Unit muffler that was part of Cone Engineering R&D program about 14 +/- years ago.  It started life as a large bologna shaped & chromed muffler for the big HD road bikes.  I did change it slightly by completely removing the outer shell, and I've just used the inside which is the actual muffler.  Besides I just REALLY like its shape.  Cool    It does have a straight through core of 1.75", with dual coil passageways around the core.  Those passageways are made in slightly different size/shape.  The muffler works well in low-mid range with a nice low rumble which builds in the upper range.  It does aide, noticeably, in the prevention of the backfiring of the engine if/when jetting/tuning may not be perfect in some part of the range.  

I did have a '09 S40 that I put both the chromed trumpet style and the quite core muffler on the bike.  I liked them both.  The trumpet looked very good and sounded great but it was loud.  The quiet muffler looked good in the brushed SS, the welds perfect, good strong steel, and it had a nice low rumble when idling and it increased gently as you reached the high range.  It was never what I think of as loud, just a nice rumble all the way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 02/06/19 at 09:40:56

joeyt wrote on 02/05/19 at 15:33:03:
verslagen1 wrote on 02/05/19 at 15:08:47:

Vers! I've been meaning to inquire about your items, but first!

What issues have you been having with the quieter baffle?

Back to the items as I'd like to fix the issues before they rear their ugly heads. So as I understand, your chain tensioner+head plug total around $200? It's on my list just as soon as I find the cash!

No issues with the muffler.
but be forewarned, he does not sell a muffler ready to mount to the savage.
I welded on my own adapter and mounting rail.

No new adjusters available at the moment... waiting for a sale.
recycled adjuster = $120, $40 rebate when you send in your core.
plugs are $20

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/06/19 at 10:12:53

Solid advice you two. Thank you.

So with the jet kit on the way, and probably a cone muffler coming after that, I'm going to call up my buddy and see if he still wants to do a header for me.  Grin Overall excited.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 02/06/19 at 10:23:17

joeyt wrote on 02/06/19 at 10:12:53:
Solid advice you two. Thank you.

So with the jet kit on the way, and probably a cone muffler coming after that, I'm going to call up my buddy and see if he still wants to do a header for me.  Grin Overall excited.

Would he like to make 2?   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/06/19 at 10:37:57

I'll ask him! 1.5" header. Im undecided yet if I'd like to ask him to copy the original header, or something more similar to the Ryca one. He can be a bigger grump than I.  Shocked

Edit 2/8
A quieter cone is on the way, 1.5". My buddy got busy, and is unavailable to whip up a header. Can't blame him with his situation.
Any muffler shop should be able to weld one up, correct? Is there an off the shelf flange anybody knows of that I might be able to take to them or would they be able to copy the one on the bike?

It's hard to find a place in LA that will do the job these days.

« Last Edit: 02/08/19 at 10:35:39 by joeyt »  
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/09/19 at 15:53:19

I hate to bump the topic without any progress, however I've run into a problem.

I took the bike out for a short ride to stretch her legs after sitting out rain the past couple weeks. I held the throttle open a bit to get her started up with choke pulled(she almost started without choke.) Let her warm up, she wanted to die at idle a few times.

After warmed up, I rode around the neighborhood giving varying degrees of throttle. Runs just fine, then I come to a stop. She died a second before stop. Okay, start her again and go round the block. Stop, she stalls again. I recreated this issue several times. Never seen a bike do this.

My gut tells me:

1. Idle set too low. Increase idle a little bit.
2. The lean status is causing this.
3. Sitting outside, despite under shelter, caused moisture to gather in the tank? Fresh tank would fix this, I reckon?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/09/19 at 17:53:20

I haven't read this entire thread so possibly someone has already brought this up but your problems sound like a stock fuel petcock failing.  Most people eventually switch to a Raptor petcock.  In the tech section there is a thread that explains how to replace it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/09/19 at 19:49:54

engineer wrote on 02/09/19 at 17:53:20:
I haven't read this entire thread so possibly someone has already brought this up but your problems sound like a stock fuel petcock failing.  Most people eventually switch to a Raptor petcock.  In the tech section there is a thread that explains how to replace it.

New one ordered. Thank you for the observation. I forgot the original one is probably 22 years old.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #26 - 02/10/19 at 05:58:16

If the stock petcock was failing, it may have been weeping (on) without the engine vacuum, check your oil level to see if it has gone up, smell your oil also if it smells like gas. Change it if so, even a little bit of gas in oil is bad.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/10/19 at 07:38:03

Matchless G11 wrote on 02/10/19 at 05:58:16:
If the stock petcock was failing, it may have been weeping (on) without the engine vacuum, check your oil level to see if it has gone up, smell your oil also if it smells like gas. Change it if so, even a little bit of gas in oil is bad.  

I will change the oil when I swap over to the new petcock. If the oil has gas mixed in, should I also be worried about the piston rings not sealing correctly?

Edit 2/12/19
Few more things on the way. Petcock is already here. Nobody local seems to stock a KN137 and I'm too lazy to drive 10 miles to the Suzuki dealer for a filter. Soon as the vacuum caps and fresh fuel line is here I'll be swapping petcock. Shortly thereafter oil change. I'm glad I put that off until this possible issue showed up. Typically I service a used vehicle as soon as it's bought. Shell T4 w/ no additives based on whatever I could find online from 2017 onward. Certain topics suggest it sits at 1200ppm zinc(or did between 17-18.)

Two different 180 prebent tubes(3" and 6" radius) arriving tomorrow and muffler day after that. I might have just enough time to measure and mark where to cut. Local shop said they'd do it for $30 as long as they dont have to measure a thing.

Hopefully the tube will suffice. It seems the Ryca header has a short straight section right at the flange.

« Last Edit: 02/12/19 at 12:14:56 by joeyt »  
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/14/19 at 09:52:22

Tube's in, looks good. Would anybody know if I should have the muffler shop weld the tube to the flange or cut a short bit of 1.5" ID pipe to weld to the tube(I believe thats how Suzuki and Ryca have done theirs)? Has anybody done anything similar?

I think I've seen it welded directly to the flange, and I would gladly edit this post with a link to the bobber build I'm referring to if it's okay to link to outside websites/blogs.

Also, to pull the air fuel mix plug, is 3/32" required or may I use a 1/8" bit? Alternatively I think I have some tiny self tapping screws in the garage.

« Last Edit: 02/15/19 at 09:58:16 by joeyt »  
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #29 - 02/14/19 at 13:57:52

Joeyt,
I'm sure you have been warned about not letting the drill go too deep when you drill the brass plug.

I put a sleeve on the drill so only a small portion of the drill was exposed.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 17:53:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Joeyt's Bike Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.