Send Topic Print
Joeyt's Bike Build (Read 834 times)
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Joeyt's Bike Build
02/03/19 at 10:33:57

Howdy everyone. Let me start by saying, glad to be on the forum after lurking for a bit, and I apologise if this thread should have been in the cafe(I wasn't sure.)

This thread is to document my build, and have a place to get feedback and criticism throughout the build. While I'd like to get her built ASAP, it will be a slow build and will likely be updated as I am able to work on her. Constraints are primarily time and money.

Goal for advice is to search through the forums to try and understand an issue, then present what I do understand in an effort for somebody to fill in the gaps or correct any flaws in my thinking.

So, let me kick this off with a picture of the bike. She's a '96 with just over 9k miles. Just bought her as the first bike I personally own and I intend to build a little bobber out of her. She will get a name in the future and as I instill some of my own personality into her, just like I've done with my cars and other things over my couple years.

I have some tube and end caps on order, which will be used to build a dummy oil tank. The battery is stock size and brand new, so instead of buying a smaller one to fit on the muffler bracket, I intend to work with it to try and build a box that will tuck it down and out of the way as much as possible. We've had some rain that's kept me from trying to plan/mock something up from cardboard and PVC.

P_20190113_132802_vHDR_Auto_HP_2.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Joeyt's Bike Build
Reply #1 - 02/03/19 at 11:11:08

I would advise you to run the bike stock for now rather than jumping into a build.  Looking at your bike I see problems , You should at first ,get the bike running right, the bluing on the header pipe shows that it has been running lean, (I would think it's entire life) and you have a leak at the muffler /header pipe connection . I f you intend to change mufflers we would recommend  a HD Dyna , as a good one,  and a good starting point , we could then advise proper jets depending on your elevation( the carb is tuned to the muffler ). you should also read up on the spacer mod, and you may want to check the cam chain tensioner . after the bike is running well and there is no chance of damage ,you can begin the build as time/ money allows.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/03/19 at 11:17:32

Don't let it sit and idle on the sidestand.
That starves the cam of oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/03/19 at 13:53:37

Thank you for spotting those issues. I'll look into a remedy for the lean status first. Versy's tensioner is also in the plans. I figured that it was an issue and had intended to rejet after a pod filter and exhaust.

Are CA models even leaner than the rest of the country? I'm learning how a carb is tuned, and the smaller jets they come with here means less fuel going into the carb, correct? Should I first pull the fuel mix plug and follow directions to adjust that?

While Dyna is tried and true, and I happen to have one in the shed, I was hoping to run as short an exhaust as possible without running a drag pipe(I realize that's a terrible idea.) A friend had offered to weld up a 1.5" header with a baffle and turn out after it. I told him maybe after I was sure his idea wouldn't damage the bike. Provided baffle placement and size is correct, is this a viable solution at the exhaust side?

Edit: was rereading a thread here about drag exhausts. Somebody stated they had a 2" baffle at the end of their pipe that caused damage. Somebody else had said a 4" baffle 2" into the header is a good start. Could anybody comment on a 4-6" baffle into the header 2"+turn out or glasspack length behind that? I will also see about grabbing one of Mr. Lancer's jet sets and cleaning the chrome on the Dyna muffler.. just in case.  Grin

Thank you!

IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #4 - 02/03/19 at 16:58:37

I have excessive bluing on my header pipe as well... No apparent leaks but going to change the header pipe gasket just to make sure and I know I have to look more into the jetting as I get backfires when I let off the exhaust... The exhaust is a 2.5" Screaming Eagle turnout pipe with NO BAFFLE... I am replacing the baffle in the coming weeks... My issue was when I got the bike it had exhaust wrap on it that was torn... I took it off and noticed the excessive bluing and where the wrap was... I want to remove the bluing but unsure how at this point... I never worried about it before as I never had a bike this bad...

DSCN2509aaa.JPG

1996 Suzuki Savage Street Bobber, Arlen Ness Air Filter, El Diablo Ape Hangers, Kuryakyn Flame Mirrors with more parts to come...
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/03/19 at 18:31:06

Why is your bike in jail?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/03/19 at 18:41:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/03/19 at 18:31:06:
Why is your bike in jail?

I guess it's been leaning the wrong way in it's life.. da dum.. oh.. nevermind.  Grin

It's in there while I get the garage cleaned out.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 02/04/19 at 08:29:31

Since your resources are limited, my advise is to divide you build into small enough chunks that you can complete each one in minimal time and then be able to put the bike back on the road.  That way you can enjoy it as you build it.  Too many people take these things down too far all at once and then spend years trying to compete them.

IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #8 - 02/04/19 at 09:22:38

Check out TC Choppers and Blue Collar Bobber for your build... I have discovered the Savage has NO Custom Parts to order... I have read Harley Pegs will work with modifications... I am attempting to put an FL Rear Fender on mine now... I get a few ideas and then used WISH.COM to buy the parts like the 1937 tail light and license plate bracket... I paid $11 but had to wait 2 months... Battery Box I am working on and if you have any ideas please share... This one I am lost on as nothing looks good for my taste..

Stop.png

1996 Suzuki Savage Street Bobber, Arlen Ness Air Filter, El Diablo Ape Hangers, Kuryakyn Flame Mirrors with more parts to come...
WWW   IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #9 - 02/04/19 at 10:10:11

TC Brothers has these and in a prior post I asked... Batman gave me some good advice NOT TO PUT REGULATOR INSIDE IT...

TCBrothers_001.png

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/04/19 at 11:02:25

Good tips good tips! Thank you all. Yes, the build is getting divided up. First step is to remedy the intake/exhaust troubles. Good looking out on wish, I forgot that existed!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 02/04/19 at 11:49:48

Simichrome- makers of- Blue Away (420071)  may work on your headers, but don't waste your time or money until you rejet.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
playhard67

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/04/19 at 17:40:09

Irish Bill wrote on 02/03/19 at 16:58:37:
I have excessive bluing on my header pipe as well... No apparent leaks but going to change the header pipe gasket just to make sure and I know I have to look more into the jetting as I get backfires when I let off the exhaust... The exhaust is a 2.5" Screaming Eagle turnout pipe with NO BAFFLE... I am replacing the baffle in the coming weeks... My issue was when I got the bike it had exhaust wrap on it that was torn... I took it off and noticed the excessive bluing and where the wrap was... I want to remove the bluing but unsure how at this point... I never worried about it before as I never had a bike this bad...

NRR Boot... What are the specs on your handlebar?  Rise?  lower dimension by risers?  Did you have to get extended cables for this handlebar?

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/04/19 at 18:13:24

Actually, Mr. NRR, maybe your muffler might be what I'm looking for. Would you happen to have a part number on that? I'm also looking into a similar pipe.. voodoo something or other turn out muffler or even a 12" reverse cone if I can find one. It seems a lot of the cheaper, smaller mufflers are just glasspack or they have no information regarding that. Thank you.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 02/05/19 at 14:20:33

joeyt wrote on 02/04/19 at 18:13:24:
Actually, Mr. NRR, maybe your muffler might be what I'm looking for. Would you happen to have a part number on that? I'm also looking into a similar pipe.. voodoo something or other turn out muffler or even a 12" reverse cone if I can find one. It seems a lot of the cheaper, smaller mufflers are just glasspack or they have no information regarding that. Thank you.

The less expensive mufflers are typically basically all the same, with just a slight metal baffle, it it’s even ther, and then just a little fiberglass batting.  The baffling effect is minimal at best, and the loud sound coming out is a very harsh sound.  I’ve had a couple of them and added a really good amount of a better quality batting and the sound improved a little, but just a little.  Something like that I would usually just offer here for anyone who just wanted it for just shipping cost.
A lot of them are also on the small side.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:31:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Joeyt's Bike Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.