Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tip of the iceberg in Home Hacking (Read 68 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tip of the iceberg in Home Hacking
02/01/19 at 06:46:34

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/dad-hacker-spoke-to-baby-taunted-me-...

A while back a guy a grew up with was on national news showing how he could remotely access the new insurance modules placed into cars that record your driving and allow for discounts to safe drivers.  In this presentation he shut the brakes off of the car in from of him, it was driven by the newscast staff and they confirmed they lost braking control.

Last week he showed how he can literally take control of a Google self-driving car and send it to another location.  His team stated they can do the same with a Tesla and Uber but this is unconfirmed.

He regularly shows people how he can access anything in their home that is "smart" tech and connected online, like thermostats, cameras, lighting and the "smart" locks that are controlled by your phone.

As we smart-tech our homes for convenience we are literally opening the home to anyone that has internet access.  The gas smart oven is going to be a nightmare.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Tip of the iceberg in Home Hacking
Reply #1 - 02/01/19 at 07:46:25

YIKES.......

When I was at Boeing, they were investigating the possibilities of flying aircraft WITHOUT pilots, using a remote location similar to control towers.

I can tell you this, as I saw it with my own eyes, they "track" every 787 aircraft presently from a control room in Everette.

The technology already exist at going pilot-less, I believe, its just a matter of selling it to the public.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 02/01/19 at 08:42:24

Much as I believe that pilot error does exist, when pilots no longer fly , neither will I.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 02/01/19 at 09:09:20

Well we saw AI brought down the brand new 737MAX.
On previous flights the pilots were able to over-ride its authority, but the final flight was just too low to the ground and under full trust, not fatal in itself, but much more complicated under such conditions.

Get you chip......its coming  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 02/01/19 at 13:36:45

Precisely why I don't have a web cam on my desktop, have tape over the camera and microphone ports on laptops that do have them, refuse to get a single device in my house that is wifi controlled/accessible (thermostat, alarm system, etc), don't own a "smart" TV, love my 2004 pick-up that doesn't have the modern day crap on it, still use a blackberry phone (because no one cares about hacking those old things versus the mainstream android and iphone platforms, live way back in the woods where you can't just sit at the curb and tap into my wifi...the list goes on.

I don't trust anyone that says to use their device and your privacy is of utmost importance to them...those actually the ones I trust the least!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 02/01/19 at 19:15:40

One way to protect yourself from hacks like this is to make sure that your email/password combo isn't on one of the hacker databases. They can use these databases to try your email/password to try to gain access to other sites, in hopes of finding users who share passwords across sites.

The  motorcycle forums owned by Verticalscope were hacked in 2016, and they had one database for ALL the forums. This is how my email/password combo for those forums ended up on the hacked database. (I was registered for 3 model specific forums).

You can check if your email/password was exposed using this site:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If so, then try to find all the places where that email address was used, and make sure you have new passwords for those sites, or, delete your account.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #6 - 02/02/19 at 08:08:07

I don't know how much faith I would put into that site. According to the test, my email was leaked from two sites. One I had never heard of, and the other is a video site that does not require a login nor have I ever posted anything there.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 02/02/19 at 10:26:03

If you haven't heard of those sites, then they may be "outlets" or marketing aggregation databases.

An "outlet" is where hackers release personal data from a hack, if the hacked site doesn't pay the ransom. "Collection #1", and Pastebin are two of the better known "outlets".

Marketing aggregation databases are companies that buy information, legally, from other websites, and then make that information available to subscribers. These sites don't contain passwords, but they do track online behavior and try to tie it to unique email addresses.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/03/19 at 12:45:16

So this is the information I received from my friend who was on the newscast etc. regarding passwords/home safety.

"All passwords are compromised and sit stored in gigantic databases that are continually sold and re-compromised. Your social-security number, credit cards, any identifiable information is already in the system and available to anyone willing to purchase them. Your information is in the 1.6 million user data stolen from this business, and 2.5 million stolen from that company. "Hacking" into personal home networks is amateur hour when we are discussing personal information. The advantage is that your personal information is in a bundle of millions upon millions and the chances of it being used reduces with every major compromise.

The best solution is monitoring your personal information versus trying to keep it from being found in the first place. This is how Lifelock and the like work and advertise by putting their personal information out to the public. Its a "here take it, now see if you can use it" approach and it works substantially better.

"Smart" tech breaches are another game. Firewall that stuff all day long it won't keep a dedicated hacker out. But anything is better than nothing. I would not network (internet) connect any home appliance, lock or light. Put in a wired system for interior use and internet for exterior. Put in a remote box for lighting and use it like a garage door opener. These open the garage door through the phone apps are a criminals dream come true. Use a wired home alarm with a code input at the physical location, and I added a decoy code per your recommendation.

Basically keep your physical home off the internet and monitor your personal information that has already been sold 10 or more times anyway."

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:36:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tip of the iceberg in Home Hacking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.