Mag Wheels (Read 167 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Mag Wheels
01/31/19 at 09:44:32

I rolled the S-40 out of the shop today with Mag Wheels on it.    

The GS550 (1981 ish) has a wide rim and a different pattern than the GS450 does , it also has a "LARGER" rear brake shoe so I went with the 550 version .    

Here is a picture:  

The rear pulley didn't fit without some modifying , but a variable speed Jig Saw with a course blade made modifying the aluminum pulley easy.

So , here's what posible :

0129191632a.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Mag Wheels
Reply #1 - 01/31/19 at 10:44:17

MM, that looks really nice. Good job!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 01/31/19 at 12:02:03

I've got an extra set for the GS450 now that I didn't use  ... thanks to Dave's post on tire and rim width .  

I went with the 110/90-16 rear on a 2.75" rim (same as our factory width).    The tire looks narrow next to a the 140/90-15 I pulled off .    The front tire is a 90/90-19.    The set-up reminds me of the 1970-ish bikes where a  3.25 front would be matched with a 4.00 rear .    Best I remember they handled just fine ... I'll find out when this cold snap fades out !   Roll Eyes

side_view_Mags.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 01/31/19 at 14:24:32

Looks good! Did you go with a 2 piston caliper, and or a bigger disc, or stick with the stock front brake?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/31/19 at 17:46:24

Badwolf , I used the disk you sent and the dual clamper , that Dave sent (I was glad to have them both) .   That along with the bigger 550 shoe on the rear , makes for "REAL" Stopping power !   Wink

raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 01/31/19 at 18:38:14

It looks really good, I am surprised at just how much it changed the appearance of the bike.....GOOD JOB !

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/31/19 at 20:51:16

I've got a pair of SV650 front dual piston calipers and I compared them to the one Dave sent.    It would have taken more length from the F.Forks to use the larger disk.   The larger dia. disk would have been nice but the right-way would have been to use the SV650 forks.   I did't want to go that far.   Tongue
The modified dual piston caliper that Dave made has a lot more stopping power than the factory single piston ever did.  

With the long "Rake" of the LS650 , I don't want to be doing "Stopies" anyway.   Grin

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 01/31/19 at 21:31:54

I went with the larger vented disc and made a extended bracket for the dual piston caliper. ( had to make a bracket anyway, why not go with the bigger disc?)
Two fingers REALLY slows me down in a hurry! Tried 3 fingers hard and locked-up the front tire at 30mph!
I am building a ''Batwing'' style faring (slowly) and when it is done I'll use a 100/90 16 tubeless on the front. The wheels are off a 02' Suzuki Maruader.
The front rim is 3'' wide and gives the tire a WIDE profile.
Dual piston caliper,
larger disc,
3'' smaller wheel & tire!
I'll be able to stop on a dime & give you 9 cents change!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 02/01/19 at 09:00:37

I'll be able to stop on a dime & give you 9 cents change!  

OK , just don't bend the forks !   Grin

I hit the front brake on the guzzi really hard one time with a tire (SportsDemon) that was about bald , and it ripped the tire.   Yea , about 1/2" wide tear about 1/8" deep.    Its a big dia. dual piston type (V-7 II)
The anti lock turned the brake off then on again one time.   But I dropped some speed in a hurry !  Wink  
That was last Spring while ridding with Dave and Stew (near Suches , GA.) , It's really hard to get and stay out in front of those two when the game is on !   It could have been the machine and not the rider  or I wouldn't have been in front in the first place ???    Roll Eyes

be safe !  Smiley

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 02/01/19 at 09:31:06

What ?  😯
Racing on public roads ? 🤔
Tell me in ain’t so !  😬
🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 02/01/19 at 09:48:28

LANCER wrote on 02/01/19 at 09:31:06:
What ?  😯
Racing on public roads ? 🤔
Tell me in ain’t so !  😬
🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍

I heard that is a sin  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 02/01/19 at 09:50:14

Lancer , you know our MOPADS won't even do the speed limit on those back roads !     Lips Sealed

But ,

I wish you could have been with us !   Smiley
Those same "MOPADS" could gain enough speed on the down-hill side of the mountains to be fun !!   Grin

Ray , you should know "I don't sin on the strait-a-ways , only on the curves" .   Wink

Its on those mountain- roads that don't have Strait-a-Ways that we get into trouble .   Tongue

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 02/01/19 at 10:07:25

Nice job MM , I really like it. It's goes perfectly with everything else you've done to the bike. I would own that bike and not need to change anything.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 02/01/19 at 10:21:38

Ruttly

Thank you !  Smiley

That is a modified HD Fat-Boy seat , Old Dina boards , Sportster wide Bars , and a lot of home made stuff !   Grin

A 4.5 gal fuel tank is one thing I want , but cutting the frame might be the only way to get it ?   Huh

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 02/01/19 at 10:40:59

Looks like my kinda travelin machine. The time is nearing to selling a few bikes and building another Savage and what I picture in my mind , it will look like your bike.  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:35:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mag Wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.