Send Topic Print
Sticky Tar (Read 96 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Sticky Tar
01/29/19 at 20:17:05

Probably not  something that Americans are thinking about right now but while you are having a big freeze down here in New Zealand we are having a heat wave.  Tar and small stones are death to our belt drives.  So far I have been stopped twice and managed to remove the stuck stones off pulleys and belt
The mess also builds up under the guards.  No real damage as yet but easily could be if we are not aware of where we are riding and when

Hiko   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Sticky Tar
Reply #1 - 01/29/19 at 20:55:19

Plus the chips flying up to smash car and truck windscreens.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 01/30/19 at 17:41:49

Well what can we do about it? 'It's almost impossible to mount a mud flap to the front fender, or to add a thin piece of plastic or sheet metal to the top of the belt guard on the side toward the tire . so I guess it's just something we'll have to live with. Wink

« Last Edit: 01/30/19 at 19:08:34 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #3 - 02/01/19 at 00:43:49

Yes there does not appear to be much we can do about it except be aware
and avoid these areas if at all possible
From what I can make out the majority of the sticky stones causing all the trouble come off the rear tyre, hit the top of the front of the swing arm and then into the belt

Hiko   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/01/19 at 07:53:03

Hiko , if that's the case ,why not place a mud flap at the front of the rear fender long enough to carry the stones below the swingarm. The tip of a plastic fender off a dirt bike might be used ,for it's strength and slight flexibility and ease of reshaping .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #5 - 02/01/19 at 16:42:34

Had a look at it again ...not easy nor helped much by me fitting a taller tyre
not that I would go back to the original

A picture on the News here a few days ago of a car with curtains of tar
hanging off the wheelwells. The tar would do its own reshaping of any skirt I imagine

A rare situation we have to live with I think

Hiko   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/02/19 at 03:22:37

I can remember as a kid riding my bicycle - we would seek out the bubbles in the road tar and pop them with our tires. I don't ever remember is being hot enough to come off the road and stick to your tires.  The Township Road Department used to spray used motor oil on the dirt roads to keep the dust down - those roads could get very slippery in the hot summer days, and when freshly applied you could get free undercoating on your car.

The roads up here in KY no longer get "tar" - they use a rubberized joint sealer and it does not turn liquid in the sun.....but it does get squishy and flexible when it is hot.  The "tar snakes" on the road can provide some interesting "alternate handling" issues when you are banked over in a corner and hit one.....my little Ninja likes to jump about 3" sideways until the tire gets off the tar snake and back onto the pavement.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 02/03/19 at 15:34:58

The roads down here are nearly all sealed with small chip stones embedded in tar In recent years they have started sealing the cracks with "tar snakes"

Unfortunately sometimes the road maintenance gangs get carried away with this and we often find quite large patches repaired this way
Not good for motorcycles.

Hiko   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:30:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sticky Tar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.