Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Lithium Battery Options (Read 706 times)
peejster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seattle, WA
Lithium Battery Options
01/29/19 at 17:36:04

I did some looking around and saw several references to lithium batteries as a replacement for the brick of a battery that comes stock. I too would like to eliminate some weight and some bulk so I am looking at going that route.

I have seen references to Ballistic (maybe here or maybe other sites) but with them shutting their doors last month, I will not be going that route.

I have seen people using Antigravity batteries - that seems like a viable option; I am looking at the 8 cell. It's a good size/weight and it has plenty of cold cranking amps (it took several times of reading the product description until I realized that it was 240 CA (not 240 CCA) but even the 192 CCA will be more than enough).

I am currently leaning towards the Shorai. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this battery. All the specs seem good except one - the product listing states that the charge system must not output more than 15.2v but based on the Clymer Service Manual, the LS650 charging system puts out up to 15.5 volts. Anyone know how accurate that is? If my bike wasn't already apart, I would just test it myself.

Here is a link to the Shorai:
https://shoraipower.com/lfx14a1-bs12-p62

Thanks
peejster

2003 Suzuki LS650 with 2800 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Lithium Battery Options
Reply #1 - 01/29/19 at 18:25:18

I bought an Earth-X......it is super light and works just fine.

I bought it just about this time of year in 2013.....so it is 6 years old and shows no signs of getting weaker.

(Gyrobob had problems with them and hates EarthX)

« Last Edit: 01/30/19 at 05:36:44 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/29/19 at 19:26:29

My experience with Antigravity has been a 33% usability rate.

Some come dead, some last less than a year.  Some work as intended.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 01/30/19 at 05:57:01

I've been running a little Antigravity AG-801 for two full seasons now.  Working out great for me.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 01/30/19 at 12:30:13

I have a Shorai in my sportster for about five years. Top quality , it's always ready go. Just remember if you use a lithium battery you must have a lithium charger. Think the tracker has a BatteryTender brand lithium battery , seems to be of good quality as well. The Shorai are highly rated as well as highly priced !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #5 - 01/30/19 at 17:51:36

I have a Battery Tender Lithium Iron BTL14A240C in my S40 for 2 years now.
I just purchased a WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery 380CCA Hjtx20Ah-Fp-Q for my V11 sport naked. This battery lays on it's side.

IP Logged
peejster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 01/31/19 at 12:14:12

Ruttly wrote on 01/30/19 at 12:30:13:
I have a Shorai in my sportster for about five years. Top quality , it's always ready go. Just remember if you use a lithium battery you must have a lithium charger. Think the tracker has a BatteryTender brand lithium battery , seems to be of good quality as well. The Shorai are highly rated as well as highly priced !

Did you have to make any changes to the charging system / rectifier on the bike or did the stock setup work?

Yes, mounting flexibility - i.e. laying it on it's side - is a big reason I am looking to go lithium.

2003 Suzuki LS650 with 2800 miles
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 02/01/19 at 04:05:19

No mods needed , plug n play ! Just added foam spacers that came with both batteries to keep them tight in battery box. Cut just under ten pounds on the tracker just changing the battery , even more on the sportster.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 03/06/19 at 08:18:42

Two out of three earth-x batteries I bought failed.  They swelled up and leaked blue crap all over my FJR-1300 and my RYCA bike.  The owner's attitude essentially was "you did something wrong because our batteries are perfect.  Go pound sand"

I use Firepower brand now.  They are the same battery Honda uses in some of their bikes,.. they are just labeled differently.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #9 - 03/06/19 at 15:19:58

I personally have had bad luck with the lithium batteries.  Ive used 5 on 3 different bikes and all of them started having problems within the first year and a half.  At $150 a pop or more I cant bring myself to buy them anymore.

Ive always used the correct chargers, and even balance chargers and never got great results.

So for now I have just been using Sealed AGM batteries (like the optima batteries).  They have been working great, even if it dies from the heavy load of this thumper compression after a few years the batteries only cost 20-30 bucks so no big deal.

Also, they are about the same size as the lithium battery and not too heavy.  Ill have to peek it, but I think it was this model...

https://www.batterysharks.com/Yuasa-YTX9-BS-p/YTX9-BS_M12-8-120-D.htm?gclid=E...

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 03/06/19 at 16:35:29

These batteries that Honda uses OEM have an internal balancing system so the individual cells are handled independently.  Earth-x batteries are supposed to do that but they tend to swell up pop, spewing blue stuff all over.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #11 - 03/06/19 at 17:10:38

I wanted to make a correction,

Actually this is the battery I have been using.  Even smaller, but its been working good.  Grin

I havent had to at all, but I dont mind jump starting my bike down a hill if needed, some people aint gonna take that chance.  But like I said, its been fine for over a year now. I wanted minimal size and weight, but tired of expensive lithium failures. My brothers been using his for 3 years now, still cranking.

I keep it on a tender when sitting.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SigmasTek-ST5L-BS-Battery-Replacement/684786640

WWW   IP Logged
Jonty03
YaBB Newbies

food tastes nicer in
small houses

Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
Reply #12 - 03/07/19 at 12:08:58

If you're thinking of changing to a lithium ion battery you might want to think about changing your regulator/rectifier to this:
https://shop.revivalcycles.com/lifepo4-lithium-battery-optimized-mosfet-regul...

JAB
  IP Logged
Jonty03
YaBB Newbies

food tastes nicer in
small houses

Ormskirk, Lancashire, England
Reply #13 - 03/07/19 at 12:12:52

Sorry it cut the end off the link!!!
Revival Cycles - lithium optimised reg/rectifier.

JAB
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/07/19 at 12:18:15

Jonty03 wrote on 03/07/19 at 12:12:52:
Sorry it cut the end off the link!!!
Revival Cycles - lithium optimised reg/rectifier.

If you use the hyperlink button, it fixes that issue.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 18:21:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lithium Battery Options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.