Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Filter/Airbox Questions (Read 164 times)
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Filter/Airbox Questions
01/26/19 at 15:16:43

So I got around to rejetting my S40 today. Along with the jets I decided to try and fit on the ryca elbow and cone filter. Everything is back on and the bike is running better (and faster) than ever.

I tucked the tube that runs from the engine to the airbox back on the airbox. I have seen one post now with a little KN filter on the end of it. Having ridden the bike I'm guessing either way will work? Eventually Ill remove the stock airbox and use the space for wiring/battery but I just want to make sure nothing weird is going to happen that just didn't happen on my little jaunt.

18930.jpeg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Filter/Airbox Questions
Reply #1 - 01/26/19 at 15:52:55

Have you done the spacer mod? that will make an even larger improvement than changing the jets.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #2 - 01/26/19 at 16:01:28

Yes! Went with 2 washers to start with.

Heres a link to the thread with the KN breather as well, 4th pic down.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1121534397

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #3 - 01/27/19 at 09:46:25

Update: Noticed the cone filter is wet wear the fins meet the plastic/rubber (large side of fins.) the fins themselves seem to be dry its just right where they end. Would this be to rich on the idle mixture or is this normal?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 01/27/19 at 10:36:31

You used two washers on the jet needle . What is your elevation above sea level?  If it's not below 1000 feet, you may be running to rich and need to use three washers to drop the needle a bit.

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #5 - 01/27/19 at 11:31:27

East coast, about 150 above sea level where I live. When my wife saw it she asked if it was just from the humidity getting sucked in?

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #6 - 01/27/19 at 11:39:52

Upon closer inspection I'm pretty sure its just the silicone is shiny where it curls over the filter.

Once I fully remove the airbox there should be a small KN filter on the breather tube coming from the engine head right?

0127191435_HDR_resized.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/27/19 at 15:57:23

I'm not fan of K&N they use cheap cotton as a filter material, which absorbs water , where as most filters use foam which doesn't . I would place the filter where it is as protected as possible ,not hanging out the side of the bike.
    Yes ,you will need to filter the breather tube ,it breathes both ways as the piston moves up and down ,an unfiltered will pull dust and dirt into your engine oil otherwise .

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #8 - 01/27/19 at 16:04:53

Got it!

-Find a filter using foam.
-Reroute the cone so it's more concealed inside the bikes chassis.
-Leave the breather tube in the airbox and when I remove it get a foam filter for it as well.

Would a simple shield in front of the cone suffice if I left it on the side? Wont be a permanent solution but maybe temporarily?

IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #9 - 01/27/19 at 16:13:22

ZSteele wrote on 01/26/19 at 15:16:43:
So I got around to rejetting my S40 today. Along with the jets I decided to try and fit on the ryca elbow and cone filter. Everything is back on and the bike is running better (and faster) than ever.

I tucked the tube that runs from the engine to the airbox back on the airbox. I have seen one post now with a little KN filter on the end of it. Having ridden the bike I'm guessing either way will work? Eventually Ill remove the stock airbox and use the space for wiring/battery but I just want to make sure nothing weird is going to happen that just didn't happen on my little jaunt.

I have the same filter location... Kinda hits my leg... I am going to relocate it in the coming weeks...

1996 Suzuki Savage Street Bobber, Arlen Ness Air Filter, El Diablo Ape Hangers, Kuryakyn Flame Mirrors with more parts to come...
WWW   IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Reply #10 - 01/27/19 at 16:20:19

Yea I already made a hack job of shortening the silicone elbow this morning. I think when I move the battery to where the airbox is currently I'll just point it down or get a straight coupler and mount it straight off of the carb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 20:28:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Filter/Airbox Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.