Send Topic Print
Recent purchase (Read 203 times)
MegaslXLR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Recent purchase
01/18/19 at 15:10:11

I recently purchased a 96 Savage bobber, previous owner stated that last time it was riden it puffed a little black smoke then died wouldn't restart. I have yet to pick up bike and need a little help on where to start. I am mechanically inclined so I'm not worried about a single thumper being all that hard to diagnose.  I did smell the tank (Harley peanut) and no fuel smell. Has standard petcock from my understanding the factory one has issues on it's own. Also before it was put away there was a tapping, could this be timing chain?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Recent purchase
Reply #1 - 01/18/19 at 23:18:13

Tell us your mileage ,location, carb jetting(and how clean/dirty it is), exhaust set up.  The stock petcock will have a hose that runs from the diaphragm on the rear of it,  to the right side of the carb.It would be wise to pull the right side cover and check the condition of the cam chain ,and tensioner .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MegaslXLR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/19/19 at 08:07:48

No idea on millage due to not having odometer. In Florida and no idea of jets. Petcock is standard on off res Harley due to tank swap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/19/19 at 14:07:37

Given the fact that the mileage is unknown, this becomes all the more reasonable.

.It would be wise to pull the right side cover and check the condition of the cam chain ,and tensioner .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 01/20/19 at 14:29:53

Jet sizes, exhaust set up? Remove the sparkplug and add a bit of oil to the cylinder( to lube the rings and walls)  check the compression ,does the battery turn the motor over  or is it frozen? does it have compression ? You said you where mechanically inclined , "showing is better than telling"  If you need advice, we need more info.

« Last Edit: 01/20/19 at 19:44:51 by batman »  

IP Logged
MegaslXLR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/21/19 at 06:35:50

Starter turns over engine fine, pulled carb did a light cleaning not to in depth due to not having jet clears on hand. When put back on bike it would burp for a second and then nothing. Going to check compression tonight and pull car to again to due a more intricate cleaning. when checking for spark it seemed like it was not throwing a strong spark but was there. Will get more images showing the aftermarket petcock that was installed. I should also mention I did not hear any timing chain noise when starting. Would this only be noticeable when running or would a slight noise be hear while starting?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/21/19 at 08:59:42

A shot of aerosol spray with a flammable propellant, ether, something that burns without a carburetor, will make deciding what to do easier.
Did you put it on prime?
Got fuel in the bowl?
Once the battery starts running down
It Will crank it over,
It just won't Fire the plug.
So it won't start.
Check your battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/21/19 at 09:31:58

Not knowing the mileage ,It really would be best to check the cam chain tensioner first, if it is extended far enough ,it could come apart and ruin the motor (spitting out the spring) especially if it starts, and might allow the valves to advance enough to prevent starting .I don't know if you could hear any chain noise at cranking speed.
     If you tested the spark without placing another plug in the motor at the same time, and saw a weak spark ,there may be no spark during normal starting due to the extra load placed on the starter. As JOG2 stated if the voltage of the battery drops below about 10 volts the motor will turn over but there wont be enough voltage for a spark .You could test with a voltmeter .  

IP Logged
MegaslXLR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/21/19 at 09:43:22

I had extra batteries around with full charge and used them. strong cranking low spark. Ill see what happens when I pull and clean the carb off tonight and clean it. Is the decomp control needed in warmer weather? or could I remove it from the bike?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 01/21/19 at 12:05:44

The decomp isn't  always needed, it has nothing to do with cold starting, it has to do with the piston stopping on the compression stroke when shut off,(which isn't all the time),the starter isn't strong enough to crank through it without help. You could remove it but when the starter fails to turn the motor over, you'll be forced to roll the bike forward( in gear) and pop the clutch to move the piston past the compression stroke , or you could use a manual decomp lever ( and bypass the clutch switch, to be able to use both hands). Or Ryca sells a foot pedal linkage to activate a manual  decomp lever.

IP Logged
MegaslXLR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/21/19 at 05:57:18

Ok so after finally getting some time in the shop to remove the engine and tear it down to the jug, I come to find the previous owner lacking a tachometer seems to have over heated the engine causing ring failure. Jug is scored and rings are melted. Looking at a replacement jug on line just wondering what years are compatible for the 96? Was there any changes in the design or would a jug from older or newer 650's work. Not looking to big bore it just want to get it running and then maybe find an engine that I can build while still enjoying the bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/21/19 at 06:14:46

All years of jugs/pistons/heads are interchangeable.

You might consider buying one of Lancer's 94mm Wiseco pistons.  They include rings, and the compression increase makes a bit more power.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MegaslXLR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/21/19 at 07:17:14

Thanks Dave, i figured as much from what I was looking at in the manual and online. Better to check before I buy a jug that may or may not fit. Do the pistons have a website or use the ones I found on ebay?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/21/19 at 07:21:56

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 02/21/19 at 15:02:35

Mega, there are several size Wiseco pistons available, 94/95/96/97mm.
Whether boring your scored cylinder or buying a good used cylinder is most cost effective depends on your cost of boring it somewhere.
Most folks like the 94mm since it is easier and less costly to install, but if you choose to bore then you could choose any size except the 94.  The price for the any of the sizes are all the same, $199.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recent purchase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.