Send Topic Print
Help...... (Read 241 times)
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help......
01/10/19 at 18:49:51

Looking at a 2006 650- I"m a senior w/lots of bike experience but dont ride much now and never on a big highway. I like to tinker, and dont love the cruiser look, but dont want to make any major/pricey changes. THe major things I can see now is the handlebar risers- thats just not me. Same w/the forward controls, and the LOW seat. I was hoping someone can offer some ideas to alter these items to make it more of a standard bike. I dont want to invest a fortune in special after mkt parts, so hopefully some of you can offer tips and ideas on how I could do some of these things myself. And, pictures would be great!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Help......
Reply #1 - 01/10/19 at 19:10:14

Go look at the Bike Builds thread at the top of the Rubber Side Down section.

There are lots of ideas up there.....however getting the bike out of the cruiser/forward control stance and into a standard with mid mount pegs does require some involved work.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 01/10/19 at 19:15:53

It sounds like the Savage isn't your cup of tea. I'm not in to the the cruiser thing at all (my s40 is a conversion), so I understand from where you are coming.. Conversions require time, skill and money, so that's probably not in your future either.

What have you owned in the past? Perhaps that can help lead you to your next bike.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/10/19 at 19:18:05

I was there looking and didnt seem any/many standards. Did notice some have gotten rid of the bar risers? That may be cheap and easy, and the seat could be padded and covered to raise it some at a cost, but those foot pegs.........thats what I was hoping someone could offer some options.

IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/10/19 at 19:27:32

What bikes have I had? Well its over 50! Last 'real' one was a Buell 1200, now a Yamaha XT250 dual sport, but one of the things I am looking for is something inexpensive, and this 2006 650 at $1000 w/6800 miles sounds OK. Looks all stock, new rubber. If I could find out HOW to get the pegs and contriols back some I may be OK with it? I have had LOTS of four stroke singles, but only one Suzy, a DR650.

IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/11/19 at 09:12:30

Anyone help me on making a plate to move the pegs/controls back?

IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/11/19 at 09:13:36

Anyone help me on making a plate to move the pegs/controls back?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 01/11/19 at 12:30:35

I built a standard from this bike.  I wasn't too hard or expensive but it's not really easy or cheap either.  But if you want a 650 standard...you could probably find a Kawasaki W650 out there.  Smiley

Anyways, look here for more pictures: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1472222031/0

And here for more ideas on mid-controls: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1487785879/0

IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/11/19 at 18:04:08

Love it! I am looking hard at a 2005 here but want to know IF moving the shifter/brake/pegs is not too bad a job? Cant see the pics- but I assumed the pegs w/need a cross bar attached to the bottom of the frame- is there any holes/locations handy for that? And the shifter- can it just be shortened back to the shift shaft on the side of the case?

And, can the front end be lowered simply by letting the tubes up thru the clamps?

Again, love what you did!  George in Tallahassee

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/13/19 at 03:34:20

burrpenick wrote on 01/11/19 at 18:04:08:
Love it! I am looking hard at a 2005 here but want to know IF moving the shifter/brake/pegs is not too bad a job?

Several of us have relocated the footpegs, and some have bought RYCA parts and others have fabricated them.  It is time consuming and requires tools and skills if you are going to build your own.  The only way you can get bolt on parts is to go to RYCA....and their footpegs are set back a bit far for a "standard", and are really rearsets.

You can't just raise the fork tubes in the yokes, as the top yoke holds the tube in place with the top nut.  You have to buy and replace the top yoke with a yoke that has a clamp....RYCA sells them.

Commander Chaos has a bike build in that is nice - unfortunately most of his photos have disappeared from the thread.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #10 - 01/13/19 at 06:56:25

I am in the same boat, I have a ryca conversion already, but I feel the pags are too far back.
My target is to build my bike so I could get on it blindfold (not ride it course)
and not be able to tell the differance between my ryca and my favorite bike my 1966 Puch 250 sgs.
I was out in the shop the other night measuring things and found that the handlebars are about the same height, but the pegs on suzi Q are waaaay back. Ouch  Sad

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 01/14/19 at 08:57:03

burrpenick wrote on 01/11/19 at 18:04:08:
Love it! I am looking hard at a 2005 here but want to know IF moving the shifter/brake/pegs is not too bad a job? Cant see the pics- but I assumed the pegs w/need a cross bar attached to the bottom of the frame- is there any holes/locations handy for that? And the shifter- can it just be shortened back to the shift shaft on the side of the case?

And, can the front end be lowered simply by letting the tubes up thru the clamps?

Again, love what you did!  George in Tallahassee
------------------------------

I put links to two very detailed threads that contain lots of pictures.  Read through them and you'll get a better idea of how to move the pegs.

As for the forks.  If you want to keep standard bars instead of cafe clip-on bars, you'll have to lower them using spacers (either purchased from Ryca or cut from PVC) or have the upper legs shortened.   Both methods require disassembly of the forks.  Ryca has a video on their website.  

I lowered mine 2" with a PVC spacer which reduces the travel by the same amount. I ran it that way for almost 3 seasons and it's okay, but I decided to send my fork legs out to Gordy's Goodworks to have them shortened instead.  This will allow me to run the stance I want while retaining full travel.   I sent them out last week so I can't confirm the results yet.  

« Last Edit: 01/15/19 at 05:47:51 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/14/19 at 20:34:51

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/15/19 at 20:44:48

burrpenick

I put some  Harley Floorboards on that slide to the rear about 5 inches from the original pegs .    The front of the board can be about where the original pegs used to be.    

If ya put tall shocks on the rear then the geometry of the whole bike changes and it feels like a standard.    Your also  up off the ground and the seat don't seem low anymore.  An added benefit is your ground clearance grows !

The Pegs to Floorboards requires some welding and imagination !  Roll Eyes

I've got a Suzuki GS500 2007 model w/<17,000 miles for $1000.oo  
I rescued it last fall and been "Fixing stuff" and ridding it a little.   I thought it might lend itself to a "belt" drive conversion but it got new chain (o-ring) and sprockets instead.  
Only fly in it is the cold weather starting has a problem , but once it hits a few licks ... its just fine .   It sat for a year and a half and I think the carbs need to spend some time on the work-bench.  Huh

it looks a lot like this one , but no trunk and silver color  ,  I had an idea about putting a trunk on it and keeping it ... but 3 bikes over-fills my parking area !  Embarrassed

What I'm saying is : "There are a lot of Sport-Bikes out there too"

« Last Edit: 01/15/19 at 23:54:32 by MMRanch »  

trunk_2.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/16/19 at 08:06:37

I check out the 06 Boulevard Sunday, and have read ALL the replies. There is just too much that I'd want to alter to buy THIS bike. I like its simplicity, sort of low weight, and low cost, but in the end, that cruiser seating/riding position killed it for me- funny, I know that is what SOLD the bike to the masses!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:18:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.