Send Topic Print
New Guy with a new S40 (Read 130 times)
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Guy with a new S40
01/09/19 at 11:10:14

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a while now but thought that I would finally say hi and introduce myself. A few months ago I got bit by the bug and was trying to choose between a 2009 S40 and a 2009 GZ250. Both had 3,200 miles and both were garage kept, with the S40 being 200$ more than the GZ250 (after negotiation, both owners came down substantially from their initial offering prices). After vigorous research, I joined two Savage/S40 groups on FB and their members vehemently steered me towards the S40. I came home a couple of weeks before Xmas with the S40 and I'm very glad I did. Since then I've replaced the mirrors with larger ones, and found a pair of OEM saddlebags, owners manual, Clymer manual, Dyna muffler, and Raptor 660 petcock off EBay. I don't want to do anything drastic to the bike, other than the Versy cam chain tensioner, K&N filter, re-jet, and Dyna muffler. I mainly want to do the re-jet and filter/muffler so the engine will breathe the way it should instead of the lean stock setup.  My hometown is 1,500 feet above sea level so I'm curious as to what Lancer will advise me as far as the re-jet combo goes. In any case, I thank the mods for letting me in and I can't wait to learn as much as possible about this bike, I've only had it a few weeks but it's really grown on me. Cheers!

S40_maiden.jpg
  IP Logged
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Guy with a new S40
Reply #1 - 01/09/19 at 11:10:58

new mirrors

mirrors_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/09/19 at 11:11:28

saddlebags

saddlebags.jpg
  IP Logged
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/09/19 at 11:12:54

original listing pic

s40_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/09/19 at 11:13:37

first purchases

S40_accs.jpg
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 01/09/19 at 13:45:29

Congratulations on the new bike, and welcome.

I got bitten by the bug about two years ago. My first bike was a 250 Ninja. But after a few months of riding I realised I was really a cruiser guy. I found this forum and did a lot of research then got my S40.

I started out similar to you in that I wanted to do the basic mods to get the bike running how it really should. However I've found it all to be so much fun that I started tinkering with other things - my next mission will be to install the high compression piston that's sitting on my work bench.

Your bike looks tidy. I'm sure you'll love it even more once you change the exhaust and re-jet.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/09/19 at 16:49:51

Since then I've replaced the mirrors with larger ones,

Why? Once it's in the mirrors it Only gets smaller..
Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 01/09/19 at 21:22:19

Welcome to Savageville Big Al.  You are gonna have a great time here.  My compliments on a pristine 2009 S40.  It looks showroom.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 01/11/19 at 11:24:25

The stock air filter does a good job and is not anything that needs changing to make the bike run better( it supplies enough air even to work with most mods) a change in jets ,  the white spacer mod , and a Dyna muffler,  will have the bike running much stronger.I'd look at doing these first. welcome aboard!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/12/19 at 06:15:37

Batman, I have the K&N on order, so are there any disadvantages to it in comparison to the stock paper filer?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 01/12/19 at 07:58:26

I'm not a fan of K&N , ( they use cotton as filter material- which absorbs water)  but about the worst thing you can do is mount it directly to the carb. I'd keep some or all of the stock hose that's between the carb and filter and mount the K&N to it. this allows the air flow to straighten before entering the carb and should work much better.
      The K&N is very open ,so you'll need to adjust the fuel screw to set your idle mix, do the spacer mod , and change ( at least) your main jet (larger). Be aware that the bike's screws are J.I.S.(Japanese Industrial Standard)  , philliphead screwdrivers can be used if the point of the driver is blunted (filed or ground) so that the blades fit down fully into the slots.
      None of the procedures are hard but I'd research the pitfalls(drilling to deep to remove the cap over the mix screw/ striping the heads on the tiny screws on the plate holding the needle jet- spacer mod -all soft brass). How you mod the spacer and what size jets you use will depend a lot on your mods and elevation above sea level .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Big Al
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/12/19 at 11:26:55

I just got the replacement element for the standard filter box. I'm also gonna order Lancer's JetSet kit, didn't know about the JIS screwdrivers though, thanks! I'll look into that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 04:00:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Guy with a new S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.