ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: HD Livewire = $30k
Reply #15 - 01/10/19 at 09:30:53

Dave wrote on 01/08/19 at 12:37:41:
That slide appears to be low enough.........that it is technically a "crash". Huh

Just because you may be able to pick it up before is stops sliding....doesn't mean your are still "riding" the thing.
---------------  

Do your stretching beforehand Dave

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #16 - 01/10/19 at 09:32:45

Then do this all day long...

More pictures here: https://www.altamotors.co/the-wistle-2018

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #17 - 01/10/19 at 09:33:56

So $30k for a Livewire or $13k for a street-legal version of the Alta Redsihit??  Like I said, no wonder why HD pulled out of their partnership.  They wanted Alta to fail.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/10/19 at 11:03:23

OK....I will admit that is was not a crash - it was some serious showing off.

I am not tempted to buy a $30,000 or even a $15,000 electric motorcycle.

(Temporary Thread hijack).......This however - is extremely tempting to me.  I don't know that it is as tempting when they add "applicable fees".....there could possibly be a lot of them (shipping, dealer prep, destination fee, etc.).  I know this is a very capable machine for a single rider and luggage.  I wish it had a belt instead of a chain........it is a brand new 2016 Honda CB500F.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcd/d/cincinnati-honda-cb500f-new-2016/6781094
869.html

Either cut and paste the above link....or use this one and open the 2016 CB500F for $ 4,609.
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=cb500f

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 01/10/19 at 11:51:24

That's a nice bike Dave. And at $4,609 a good deal (msrp in 2016 was $5999). The 2016 model incorporated some design improvements and the reviews are favorable. You can't go wrong with a Honda.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 01/10/19 at 15:21:00

The only reason I hesitate to buy a CB500F....is the passenger seat looks like my wife could not ride on it for more than a block (I am not sure she could even get on it for a photo shoot).  Most times I would be riding this kind of a bike single....it might be nice if the bike at least had a chance of being ridden double in a pinch.

I am off work tomorrow and I might go look at it, and also see what kind of bags/luggage they make for the bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #21 - 01/18/19 at 06:19:04

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 01/21/19 at 11:44:46

It would seem that all these bike's tell you the " up to xxx miles" that may be great for Flatlanders , I'd like to know the "down to" mileage is,  living in the hills. I doubt it would be 2/3 of what they list.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #23 - 01/21/19 at 18:55:33

I guess Harley deided to follow the Tesla model. Build for the fortunate few and allow other manufacturers to actually bring a vehicle to market folks could afford to purchase. It is in line with what they charge for traditional rides, so there's the price point in their mind. You sell to your customer base, that's marketing 101. As an auto analogy, you don't see Porsche or BMW bringing out an inexpensive ground breaking new electric model.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #24 - 01/22/19 at 07:22:01

SoC wrote on 01/21/19 at 18:55:33:
You sell to your customer base, that's marketing 101.

Yes, you sell to your base. The problem that HD has is this - their base has stopped buying motorcycles because they are too old to ride. They have lost their base and need to bring in new customers. Their brand isn't valued by younger riders. They need market competitive models. The few base customers they do have like their bikes because they aren't like other brands...and they certainly don't like electric transportation.

That my friend is Reality 101.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/22/19 at 09:04:58

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/22/19 at 07:22:01:

Yes, you sell to your base. The problem that HD has is this - their base has stopped buying motorcycles because they are too old to ride. They have lost their base and need to bring in new customers. Their brand isn't valued by younger riders. They need market competitive models. The few base customers they do have like their bikes because they aren't like other brands...and they certainly don't like electric transportation.

Was at a HD dealer this weekend (large Chicagoland dealer) and I can concur with you Gary.

Although they do have a few new "entry level" models, the culture that they've worked so hard on for so many years, just isn't appealing to the newbies. IMHO

And you're also right about the Livewire.  I don't see the appeal to its base or the newbie.

(I'd still like to take it for a ride though!)  Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 01/22/19 at 12:15:30

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 01/22/19 at 07:22:01:

Bullseye

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #27 - 01/22/19 at 20:40:23

Gary, that was my point exactly, at this point Harley Davidson is basically a marketing company that happens to make motorcycles. Like many marketers, you look at who buys and how you extract money from them, not who you might get to buy.

My point was that, who is bringing less expensive electric cars to market, Toyota and Nissan, not the big luxuary builders. Same is true for Harley, they have a price point they want folks to buy in at, they are not willing to dilute the "Value" by having cheaper product. It seems stupid, but believe it or not that's the simple view of the way they teach it to you in business school. Harley is now run by a bunch of MBA's and Wall Street wanna be's, it's about the stock price and financial numbers and little else. Companies like Harley make almost as much money managing their stock as they do building motorcycles.

It's related in a weird sort of way but I am involved in the skiing industry and I once was in a discussion with corporate ski management types, who were arguing for eliminating discounted season passes at the ski area because it diluted "the value" of selling lift tickets. They actually believed that the folks they sold season passes to would ski as many days a year as they did (on their pass) if they forced them to purchase a full fair lift ticket everyday. My point being that as management loses sight of what it is they do, in the case of Harley that would be build motorcycles, and begins to put more emphasis on places that are concerned with other aspects of the business in total, marketing and finance can get too much influence.

I can remember what in effect was an attempt by them at building dirt bikes when I was a kid in the 70's. And they were pretty lame.

A big problem today is the dealer network they have, most exclusively Harley. You walk in there and it's way intimidating. I went to try and buy a couple muffler clamps at my local dealer. Went to the parts counter and described the clamp and gave the guy the size. He said what bike was it for, I told him an LS650, he asked what that was and after I responded it was a Suzuki he said they don't have any parts for Japanese motorcycles. When I said it 's the clamp for a Dyna muffler, mysteriously they had none in stock.

So then I make my way to the used motorcycle manager and I sit down with him and ask about the inventory and if they might have a Savage (they are often traded in at Harley dealers) in stock. He say's he's never seen one. I give him my card and tell him if one every shows up to call me and I would probably buy it on the spot if it's decent. He takes my card and drops it in his garbage can under the desk.

Maybe Harley's bigger problem is they can't sell bikes because of an intrenched dealer network that is so isolated they don't have a clue.

I don't know why it is but I went to get some parts at my local Suzuki dealer last week (which is also a Honda, Kawa and Yamaha dealer) and the showroom had more Harley's then anything. They were all used.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 01/22/19 at 23:54:32

You need to play the game at the HD parts counter, you should have said a Sportster, not Suzuki Savage. If you check around ,you should be able to find smaller shops that sell parts and service HD's that aren't dealers ,they're a lot more friendly. I've bought seats, drag bars , LED turn signals and a tail light out of three such places and they knew I was buying for my Savage, with no problems ,they where helpful and  seemed happy for my business .These are the kind of places bargains can be found , a 4 day old (owner returned it-bought a different one) Mustang seat (cherry) for $200 ,(half price) ,3 Dyna mufflers -$20 total , 1938 HD "bee hive" tail light(real)-$10 , and a 31 "set of drag bars (new)- $21, not the kind of prices you'll find at the HD dealers.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #29 - 01/24/19 at 08:23:58

In follow-up, I was on my usual Wednesday ski trip yesterday and and during a discussion, the guy sitting across from me on the bus mentions how his wife complains he takes too much time off to ride his motorcycle. The conversation turns to what bike do you have and such and he has Street Gilde. Talks about riding Harleys his entire adult life.  He mentions he plans to trade it in, in fall for a new  model. Throws out about not be thrilled about the 30k plus price but has no problem with that.
Immediately asks if I have seen the new Electric model and goes on to bemoan Harley and asks what they are thinking with asking 30K plus for one of those. I guess Harley never did any of the basic market research of asking their customers for thoughts about the whole thing and if they had a "need" for such a bike, and if so at that price point.

After spending some time talking to the guy it was pretty obvious he had little use for an electric and zero desire to own one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 02:23:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › HD Livewire = $30k

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.