Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2019 (Read 1981 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Savage Events for 2019
Reply #105 - 04/20/19 at 07:49:12

I had a nightmare last night.....I dreamed I was riding with a group of older guys on Harleys - and just about every time we came to a stop.....one of the guys would tip over as he could not hold the bike up.  At each stop the bike would flop over on it's side...and the rider would take a few steps away from the momentum he gained trying to slow the falling bike.

Later on I was trying to convince him the lighter Savage would be a good bike for him - and somehow he found one in Germany that was for sale and he wanted me to make the international payment for him!

Stew......if somebody in this group starts dropping their bike - don't be surprised if I turn around and start going the other way!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #106 - 04/20/19 at 10:05:01

Stew......if somebody in this group starts dropping their bike - don't be surprised if I turn around and start going the other way!  

Grin

I'm getting my camera ready for some serious money on "America's Funniest Video"

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #107 - 04/22/19 at 07:22:08

haha.  Surprisingly I haven't seen any of these folks do that yet.  One had a mishap drifting off the Cherahola into the ditch a few years back (I wasn't there that day) but it was thankfully relatively minor.  Otherwise they are all pretty seasoned riders and pretty level headed....and level biked  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

My brother will be riding the S40 again so I will be on the little Ninja 250.  As usual...I'll be the littlest guy on the littlest bike...having the mostest fun  Cool Cool Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 04/22/19 at 08:11:39

Now Dave, none of them dropped dead on you from heart failure -- that is your real nightmare that you haven't fully articulated out loud yet.

Motorcycle inspectors had to go to a required class this winter, where they were flat arsed TOLD to fail all motorcycles carrying noisy non-standard exhaust systems or they will lose their inspection license.

First place I approached for an inspection simply turned me away, saying "I could hear you coming, your exhaust system is leaking and your muffler is FAR too noisy, bad baffles or drilled baffles or something is non-standard with your muffler.

I got a bit indignant at that, but when I got the muffler off to reapply the heat proof joint cement again I actually  poured a pound or so of crumbled corroded eaten up baffle material out of the front chamber of the sporty muffler.   He was right.  The baffles were shot.

Phone priced a used sporty muffler or two at the shops I bought this one from, and the service guys who peddle the take offs were spending time voluntarily telling me the model and year of the Harley the mufflers belonged to.  

Guess why they are doing that .....    I then looked up the letter of the law, which has NOT CHANGED its wording one jot or iota, but the original wording can be interpreted to say what the boys in DOT Inspection are trying to administratively change the motorcycle noise regs to say.

Got a good conversation from one of the service guys and there is a place in Lumberton that is more lenient on noisy mufflers, but the owner of the Savage in question says HER bike is going to be completely legal so it can be sold easily when the time comes ....   (as she does this she points over towards the stock Savage muffler propped up over in the corner of the garage by the radial arm saw).

I putt putt putt now instead of roaring like a Savage is supposed to do.   I had removed the original bracketry and heat shield mount from the OEM rig because I had ground most of it off up in the mountains, so I kept some of the Harley rig and put together a somewhat tighter package together using the stock can.   I used a regular stainless steel muffler camp off a car, as I am tired of the Hurley bike clamps not locking the sliding diameters together securely.

ALSO, check the arm the muffler mounts to.  Mine wobbled up and down due to simple wear over the years and required a new set of non-stretched non-worn high strength bolts and a hardened steel star washer to bite into the existing worn aluminum and shiny steel to get the muffler to stay steady and quit flexing the joint apart each year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #109 - 04/22/19 at 08:23:07

It’s a crime I tell you !!!

Heavy handed gov’t workers acting on subjective info !
Tell them you will fire them if the don’t obey the law as written.
So there !

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #110 - 04/22/19 at 08:35:07

Lancer, the law as written supports them if you interpret the words like a liberal tree hugging weenie would do it.

Interpretation of a law is the responsibility of DOT and NC law enforcement, and they are in agreement acting supposedly to cut down on noisy bikes in Fayetteville NC.   I don't like it, nor do I like what shooting range regulations are doing to the local gun ranges, but what can you really do about any of it?

90 db isn't very much noise, BTW.   If somebody hit our savages with a DB meter off idle we would FAIL that test every time.   A big single is noisy, it is ......

The law is written by legislature in very generalistic terms.  The test procedures to enforce that law are written by DOT Inspection Administration.

I also feel they are unfortunately encouraging STEALERSHIP Safety Inspectors to ravage normal folks for the cost of new exhaust systems.

This is not the first time this shite has come down the pike in NC --- when I was living in Charlotte back in the 70's they did this shite back then and bikers were swapping stock exhaust systems on and off their bikes to get inspection each year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #111 - 04/22/19 at 09:00:58

I guess you need to move to KY if you want to raise a ruckus - there are no car or motorcycle inspections here.

I would like them to do some enforcement of mufflers on big trucks....I live 2 miles from a 4 lane highway and I hear the roar of diesel trucks continually.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #112 - 04/22/19 at 11:29:50

so

OldFeller , how about out of towners , are we headed for trouble if we come visit ?

Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #113 - 04/22/19 at 13:57:16

Yep, no inspections in OK either.  SC stopped them years ago too.  The law in SC and OK too I think, is that so many feet behind and to the side at a 45 degree angle that the decibels cannot exceed a certain amount with the engine at idle.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #114 - 04/22/19 at 21:19:03

Yea , never let the inspector get a hand on your throttle , under penalty of a wack on the back of the hand  ...
or just a polite

Don't touch my bike and everything will be alright !  Angry

everybody has a !! MEAN !! face if need arises ,  Wink

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #115 - 04/23/19 at 07:57:39

I am making plans to take Lily to a boarding house down the street next month......what specifically are the rides dates/times?

I am tentatively dropping Lily off at the kennel on Wednesday, May 15th in the afternoon and begin my drive to TN/NC.....and I plan on coming home late in the day on Sunday May 19.

What I do on Wednesday night and Thursday is open for discussion.  If the weather is good I could ride the BMW down to see MM on Wednesday night and stay the night at his house - then ride with him on Thursday and end up in the Deals Gap area that night.  Then ride home late on Sunday.

If the weather proves to be bad on any of those days....I may load the bike in the trailer and just haul it down to Deals Gap on Wednesday night, and go riding alone until MM, Stew & Brother and all the Harley guys show up.  If I haul down a bike.....it might just be the Savage Cafe'.

If the weather is mostly crappy.....I likely won't come and I will wait for a better weekend to take time off work and pay to keep the dog in a kennel (or if Deb is home Lily won't need the kennel).  

« Last Edit: 04/25/19 at 05:29:13 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #116 - 04/23/19 at 21:03:41

MMRanch wrote on 04/22/19 at 11:29:50:
so

OldFeller , how about out of towners , are we headed for trouble if we come visit ?

Huh

I have never heard of street cops doing silly things, just the DOT inspectors.    I found an inspection place that still uses reason (who shall remain a secret) but they are already somewhat "rough and ready" and already have had some issues with the NC Inspection Administration.

NC apparently sends in DOT shills to get inspections, armed with minor to major non-conformances on the bike that the inspection people at the business are supposed to test for and catch and fail you over.   This is entrapment, pure and simple.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 04/23/19 at 21:15:08

May 15-19th

OK, where are you planning to base yourselves out of, Kickstand or Blue Ridge or someplace else ?   Casual old people can sleep comfortably in the Kickstand bunkhouse and since they are trailering up they can bring some books and cooking gear and stuff and not go on all the rides.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #118 - 04/23/19 at 21:30:32

Nevermind, I found your plans a couple of pages back ......

stewmills wrote on 04/19/19 at 08:19:20:
10-4.  I have a 1 br cabin reserved for arrival on Friday the 17th for 2 nights.  It has a main bed and a separate room with 2 bunks, and I will also have my cot so we can make 4 people fit.  Brother and I will be going either way so no hard feelings if something happens and you can't come but hopefully it all works out.

Copperhead Lodge, Blairsville GA.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #119 - 04/25/19 at 05:39:42

This ride is tentatively a ride with Stew and his Harley Riding buddies.....how long I can stand to ride with a large group of V-Twins is unknown.  I have been on one "Poker Run" where I rode my Cafe' bike with a group of V-Twins......it was really frustrating as they rode pretty slow, and then slowed down even more for the corners!

Oldfeller:  There is likely going to be a few days in the coming months where I am going to see a good weather window down around the Kickstand Lodge/Robbinsville....and I am going to "bug out" and head down to ride for a few days.  There could be very little notice......folks with a flexible schedule are welcome to come and ride.  I likely will leave on a Wednesday evening and ride until the weather goes bad or I get tired - but I will go home on Sunday at the latest.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 15:47:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2019

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.