Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
That was a long drive...... (Read 86 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
That was a long drive......
01/04/19 at 22:41:52

I haven't driven from Washington to SoCal in over 15 years.....
The growth was amazing.
Traffic, way too much.
The homeless, really sad.

I can remember how you could use a restroom, if needed, but now, because of folks destroying them, etc, many were under lock, or hung "out of service" signs on them, even well known brand gas stations....
Very frustrating.
You would have to order food, first, at restaurants, etc, before you could even get the key, or code, to wash your hands before eating.

Very sad state of affairs how the actions of others, impact those of us that have no say in the matter.
I guess after I buy our 5th wheel trailer, it will solve the problem for us, but honestly, this problem I see only getting worse until what, a epidemic from some disease, starts to take a toll on society?      

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: That was a long drive......
Reply #1 - 01/04/19 at 23:05:49

You've been pointing out some of the symptoms of disease that is already approaching an epidemic

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 01/05/19 at 03:43:28

Unfortunately yes, it is a sad state of affairs.
Peoples hearts are growing colder, generally.

IP Logged
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/05/19 at 07:01:58

thank god we have our savage.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 01/05/19 at 09:18:50

LANCER wrote on 01/05/19 at 03:43:28:

That is a keen observation, I am afraid.
Society that somehow has what, parented (?) in such a manner that children see this as a viable lifestyle?
A society that has defaulted to its responsibilities of enabling because it doesn’t care/want to do the difficult work to stop it?
Is this just a precursor to a failing society where it’s the rich, and have nots?
Seems that has always been one of the biggest contributors to a failed society in history..... Embarrassed
I don’t know....
All I do know is you now must plan your food, gas, and bathroom stops, if you travel.
What I did learn is this:
Buy gas outside the cities, it’s more expensive, but seemed free of the assaulting elements that led to “out of order” restrooms.
The department of transportation rest stops were always open and free of panhandling, but required planing, which wasn’t always timely...
If you get my drift.
Any “historical” location that had a display inside a building, was good too, but only normal working hours.
You could also get a few miles off the interstate, and find relief, but that often was a “crap shoot” literally, as these areas of blight often extended further, as the urge grew more intently, arg.
Finally, expect to be approached, a out of state license plate appeared to be some sort of magnet to these folks.
I was never threatened overtly, however...
When a few start to approach you, it’s unnerving.

I would love input, ideas, etc, but let’s keep it constructive, please....
So this thread is not relocated by the power that be, to the dungeon of intolerance below  Wink

Happy New Year  Smiley

PS: It is always so nice to get home, I think keying in on that simple fact holds much to learning to appreciate the simplicity of the present moment.  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #5 - 01/05/19 at 12:34:49

I remember reading about past civilizations in high school. One of the things mentioned was that each civilization only lasted a few thousand years before it collapsed and a new one would take its place. We are nearing the end of the average number of years that a civilization lasts, and are seeing the same downward spiral that the previous ones did.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 01/05/19 at 12:53:24

Fast 650 may have a valid point. It's not just the USA where this sort of thing is happening. It's occurring in much of the "western world" and in many first world "democracies" including little New Zealand.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 01/05/19 at 13:21:12

Being 66, I can remember most folks in the neighborhood owned their homes.
The house might appreciate a small amount over years, and a person with just about any job could find a house.
I always felt when housing was used as a avenue to wealth, it destabilize a very important element that provided for a healthy middle class society.
Now these big population centers have created a vast amount of wealth, through such practices, that they now control the political process, assuring their own prosperity, etc....

I will leave it there, for I don’t want to open the door to any heated debating, found elsewhere on the site.

Happy New Year  Grin

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #8 - 01/05/19 at 13:24:05

Fast 650 wrote on 01/05/19 at 12:34:49:

I remember reading about past civilizations in high school. One of the things mentioned was that each civilization only lasted a few thousand hundred years before it collapsed and a new one would take its place. We are nearing the end of the average number of years that a civilization lasts, and are seeing the same downward spiral that the previous ones did.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 01/05/19 at 14:03:09

Quote:
I can remember how you could use a restroom, if needed, but now, because of folks destroying them, etc, many were under lock, or hung "out of service" signs on them, even well known brand gas stations....
Very frustrating.

Quote:

remember reading about past civilizations in high school. One of the things mentioned was that each civilization only lasted a few hundred years before it collapsed and a new one would take its place. We are nearing the end of the average number of years that a civilization lasts, and are seeing the same downward spiral that the previous ones did.

Don't know about the west coast, but here in the east, McDonalds grow like weeds. They're everywhere. So while I'm out  riding around waiting for TEOTWAWKI that's where I stop to pi*s. Bathrooms always open. They don't care if you buy anything or not. The coffee is usually pretty decent too. Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 01/05/19 at 15:27:40

Ray

We were at a campground in the middle of Texas , a group of people  came in to camp who :
instead of flushing their used toilet paper would throw it into a corner of the restroom , it got nasty quick .
They came from south of the border .

The management  them told  to leave .   Can you really blame management  they had to clean that mess up  !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 01/05/19 at 19:23:02

MMRanch wrote on 01/05/19 at 15:27:40:
Ray

We were at a campground in the middle of Texas , a group of people  came in to camp who :
instead of flushing their used toilet paper would throw it into a corner of the restroom , it got nasty quick .
They came from south of the border .

The management  them told  to leave .   Can you really blame management  they had to clean that mess up  !

Yeah, I understand.
When you pass by these homeless encampments, the trash is everywhere!
I wonder if they could get money for turning in trash, to a collection site, give them trash bags, have them fill them, turn it in, get cash....might help to elevate some of the problems....??
I know some will just buy drugs/booze, so what, they earned the money doing a chore.
If it cleans up some of the mess, and maybe, a slim chance, who knows, but it might spark in some the effort to work, and that is a good thing, is it not?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 01/05/19 at 21:32:56

raydawg, your comment about home ownership is very very apt.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 01/06/19 at 10:28:26

jcstokes wrote on 01/05/19 at 21:32:56:
raydawg, your comment about home ownership is very very apt.

Thank you.....
The reference to failed societies do in fact share one commonality, and that is the basic needs of ALL men/women, regardless of faiths and beliefs.
1. Shelter
2. Food
3. Love/companionship
When a deficit exsist in any of these basic needs, the resulting will be a crumbling of that society.

When man’s self-preservation becomes his default motivation, selflessness is surrended, power sought, ruin, certain...  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 01/07/19 at 20:56:53

Yogi Berra used to live close to where I did a few years ago. I'd see him on line at the bagel joint, chatting it up with the counter help as though he was just another baseball fan. Waited on line patiently to buy his Christmas tree the same place I was.
My cousin is a diehard Yankee fan. Tattoo on his arm and all. I bought an official Yankees hat and kept it and a marking pen in  my backpack in case I saw Berra some day. One morning I'm waiting for the bus, and see him across the street going into the deli for coffee. I run across the street to ask him for an autograph. He's just minding his own business. He sees some trash on the sidewalk, and bends down and picks it up. He's close to 90 years old. The body language says that he is doing what he should be doing. No theatrics.
I follow him into the deli, and as polite as possible, say 'good morning' and ask for his autograph. He is genuinely touched, and has a look as though he is surprised anyone would want one of the world's greatest catchers autograph. He signs the hat, thanks me, I thank him. Give it to my cousin and make his day.
I work in Manhattan. Every day I see people throw trash on the sidewalk while walking, or out the windows of their cars. Went into the bank to use the ATM and the place was a pigsty. One of the employees comes out and sweeps the trash out of the ATM area.
All of my grandparents were orphans, so I don't buy the lack of family structure argument about how badly some people act. My family figured out how to act properly in a civilized society. Somehow, a lot of folks have not.
I guess all this makes me a cranky old guy. Or maybe, just an observant one.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 04:08:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › That was a long drive......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.