Send Topic Print
New Years Eve Ride (Read 21 times)
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
New Years Eve Ride
12/30/18 at 15:47:35

OK, it's a day early. But, a 100% chance of freezing rain is predicted for tomorrow. So, I figured I'd just do it a day early. Sunny and 30 degrees when I started. Which isn't bad for this time of the year.

Enjoying a nice ride on one of the Enfields running about 65 when the rear valve stem let loose. First time in all these years that I'd had an in-flight flat. Let's just say, things get squirrely.

Contrary to common practice, I had not done a pre-flight of the bike, aside from oil and fuel. I suspect the rear tire was low from the outset (for reasons as yet unknown) and I simply sheared off the valve stem when braking.Swapped out the tube next to the Amish horse shed at Lowes and back on the road.

Check those tire pressures boys -BEFORE you launch. And live long.
Happy New Year to you all.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Years Eve Ride
Reply #1 - 12/30/18 at 17:17:16

Glad it all turned out well but changing a tube on the road is no small thing.  Lots of work!  Do you keep spare tubes for such events or did you find a bike shop open?  

The only pre-flight item I do is tire pressure and I never ride without having done it.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Re: New Years Eve Ride
Reply #2 - 12/30/18 at 17:35:39

Lucky to have a spare tube. But, no small task.

Let's agree the sub-freezing temps generated some cognitive slippage on the safety front. Your point's well taken Engineer. There's a reason we use a pre-flight checklist.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:34:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Years Eve Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.