Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tuning info for stock carb airbox supertrapp ex. (Read 254 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tuning info for stock carb airbox supertrapp e
Reply #15 - 01/02/19 at 13:07:06

Sell it in the
Marketplace.
If I could get up and down without needing a chiropractor, I'd buy it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 01/02/19 at 15:21:38

When you dig into the carb again ,  pull out the slide ,look down into it two things you should look for is that there should be two small holes in the bottom , that you can look through (Vacuum ports) and that the brass plate has a dimple very near the needle that should protrude downward. If you don't see these,  the plate is positioned wrong (180 degrees out- blocking the ports) or upside down,( the dimple protruding upward toward you.) You should also be sure that the tongue on the outside of the rubber diaphragm is fitted in the slot , and that you seat the rib on the outside edge in the slot in the carb body before replacing the spring and top cap.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/03/19 at 05:33:12

That's exactly what I believe is wrong Batman, that's the answer to my problem I believe. I'm sure someone else at some point messed with the carb before me and set it up wrong. I'm going to dig into it and see. Thanks Batman!! Update check photos, think it's correct now. Putting it back on and checking.

20190103_090543.jpg
  IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/03/19 at 06:08:40

Here is what it looked like when I took it apart first. Dimple up and partially blocked holes.

20190103_085333.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 01/03/19 at 06:57:21

Yes top pic is correct!  should work much better now.

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/03/19 at 08:03:20

Well it's still happening. Lol. Maybe valves off or timing? I'm guessing valves, I say that because they are noisy. A lot noisier than I remember my other savage. Did a quick video. https://youtu.be/a3LuFRRayb4

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 01/03/19 at 11:23:38

Idle speed sounds a bit high, but you haven't told us if you 1)adjusted the fuel screw 2) removed plates from the muffles, 3) adjusted the valves
 generally you tune the carb to the muffler,not the reverse.So start with the muffler, then the fuel screw (1 1/2 turns out is a good starting point), then rejet if needed.
  You really should ride the bike when testing, blipping the throttle with no load on the motor isn't a good test, when you ride the bike and close the throttle the rear wheel "drives" the motor so rpms drop more slowly,and the motor and oil are fully warmed (after a few miles).

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/03/19 at 14:10:29

I'm done with the supertrapp, already trashed it, wasn't in the best of condition anyway, tons of rusty metal falling out of it from the inside, it was junk. New muffler is much better. I will probably be getting a Harley muffler this Saturday, local guy posted on craigslist for $10, he's got 2. Anyway, carb specs, main jet 155, pilot 52.5, mixture screw is currently at 2 3/4, I'll dumb it down to what you suggested batman but think it'll make it worse. I'm going to dive into the valves tomorrow when I can. I think they're a bit off which is helping with this issue. I tested the coil and it's right in the middle of the specs, same with stator, pickup coil was on the lower end of the spec but within spec ( possible issue? ). I did ride it and still getting the issue. I did read valves or timing could be causing these issues. There's no intake leaks around the rubber manifold but I'll double check that, could be something going on there. Thankfully I've become very quick at disassembly, lol, I'd say 50 times I've had the thing  apart. I got 2 savages recently, made one, used parts from 3, traded parts for what I needed. 2001 frame forks wheels etc and electronics mostly, 96 bottom end, 87 head and valve cover. I'll get it for sure. Thanks for the help, definitely need it and it's helping me!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 01/04/19 at 07:38:11

OK.just take care ,loose valves make noise (an increase mid rpm performance) but aren't causing any damage . tight vales won't close and will burn. Our valves always make some noise ,it's the nature of the beast. What are you using for an air cleaner?

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/04/19 at 08:07:14

Was quick to put this together, valves looked good but wish I would of lapped them before I slapped the head on. I usually do but I've been bikeless for a few months and it sucks. I'll put them on the higher side of the specs, I know Suzukis like to breathe. Had a gs850 that did well on the higher side of vavle clearance. I have the original airbox and filter. Going to dig into the valves before it rains.

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/04/19 at 13:44:10

Exhaust valves were below .003 set them to .005 what a pain to do this vavle job but got it done. I couldn't get the timing cover off, so had to take the entire cover off. Haven't ran it yet. Need to get fresh oil tomorrow and give it a go. How close is the DeComp supposed to be to the valve? From what I read on here and a picture I seen I'm thinking my lobes are worn.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 01/04/19 at 13:57:47

The decomp cam will hit the rocker when the lobes or rocker are worn.

WWW   IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 01/04/19 at 14:47:26

It's not touching it now but it's close. I'm thinking this is partly why it is running the way it is. Hoping this valve adjustment clears it up. Verslagen1 mine is a lot closer than the picture you provided in the valve adjustment write up.

IP Logged
Andemon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 01/04/19 at 14:49:40

Guess it's what I get for cutting corners to get it done fast...sigh, it figures because the time I choose not to measure things and get in depth with a build things are out of wack. First and last time I do that.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 01/04/19 at 21:51:18

Andemon, You might also check and adjust the decomp cable ,you may have it to tight . do you have a Clymer book ? If not the solenoid should only move out 3-5mm. , if you bike is worn setting it to 3mm may help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 20:16:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning info for stock carb airbox supertrapp ex.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.