Send Topic Print
Streaming services (Read 159 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Streaming services
Reply #15 - 12/31/18 at 04:44:52

Other than Amazon Prime/Prime Video pretty much all the services like Netflix / Hulu etc. allow monthly payments and free trial periods.  Even youtube has local programming now so that reduces need for a local antennae:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?utm_campaign=bing_0317&utm_term=ea_launch&gclsrc
=ds&utm_source=bing&gclid=CPHPjp6Jyt8CFaKPxQIdCxoAGA&utm_medium=web

There are plenty of options now but that tends to muddy up the waters so to speak.  For instance Philo is a relatively unknown, but solid streaming service:

https://try.philo.com/?utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=Mobile+Nations&utm_term=132691
40&cjsid=UUccUdUnU1042&cjevent=99fcbc120cf811e9833404660a1c0e14

If it were me I'd go with any monthly subscription service and cancel it when I get bored.  

One thing to consider about any of the hubs or sticks (Roku/FireStick) is they are multi-use.  They have their own content offered, and they provide access to your paid content like Netflix, or DirectTVNow.  

One thing you didn't mention is if you own a smart TV, or if you plan to stream over PC and connect to a monitor/TV etc.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 01/01/19 at 12:31:31

thing you didn't mention is if you own a smart TV, or if you plan to stream over PC and connect to a monitor/TV etc.

I'm not sure what it takes to be a smart T.V..
I have two hdmi ports.
And we are planning on going to a , I think it's called g 4?
We don't actually have a computer.
We have our kindles.
Got tired of the money and problems that computers cost.

Has anyone heard of Pluto streaming?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/01/19 at 13:39:24

A Smart TV has the apps already built in, so to watch Netflix, youTube etc you just select in on the TV menu, nothing to plug into the TV.  

Sounds like it will be easiest with a Roku/Firestick setup if you want streaming with HDMI as the primary receiver/input.  

Pluto is free, its basically the same thing Vizio TVs come with now, and it works with Roku/Firestick, I don't know of a system it isn't compatible with.  

From a cost perspective I think getting an HDMI streaming input gives you more options.  The digital antennae is reliable but limited in what it picks up, and as stated before the programming runs on a schedule where streaming is pretty much immediate.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 01/01/19 at 14:32:35

Sounds like it will be easiest with a Roku/Firestick setup if you want streaming with HDMI as the primary receiver/input.  

Would a DVD player be an input device that would help with the streaming options?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/01/19 at 14:42:46

"Would a DVD player be an input device that would help with the streaming options?"

Not to my knowledge, I have never seen a streaming box with additional hardware like DVD etc. although there are Smart Blueray players.  A streaming box, or stick is just like the old cable box except it connects to your internet instead of a physical cable.  So you connect it to your internet wired or wireless, then plug it to your TV directly.  

So with two HDMI ports you could plug the DVD into one and the streaming device into another, or use an HDMI splitter to give you more ports.  

Best Buy has a simple explanation of streaming and streaming options on their website.  Easy to learn from even if you don't plan to buy anything from them:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/buying-guides/streaming-media-player-buying-guid...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 01/01/19 at 17:09:38

DVD players and Blue Ray players are pretty much passe' as far as any current uses go.

DVDs used to be used for software, but now-a-days it is quicker to download the software directly to your machine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 01/01/19 at 20:19:32

Machine equals T.V.?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/01/19 at 21:32:13

"Machine equals T.V.? "

Sort of, but not really in your case.  The previously mentioned "smart" TV's have some memory in them and can have applications downloaded to them, but I think in this case Oldfeller meant a PC as a machine.

Basically the storage space of modern computers is much higher than what can be stored on a DVD today, so its easier/faster to just download a movie, or software than it is to use a DVD.  DVD is going the route of the "floppy disk".  DVD is the Kodak film we once used in cameras, its not gone but digital is mainstream so physical film is just less common.

You can still fire up your DVD player and use a streaming device, you will just be using two separate HDMI inputs is all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 01/01/19 at 22:49:37

Okay guys. All hints and clues are appreciated, very much. Thanks for taking the time to offer some education.
I'm gonna take this information and take a swing at it.
I might not nail it on the first shot, but I'll save money and hopefully have better options, even if I lose some convenience , like recording stuff to watch at my convenience.
Best outcome, I spend less time watching T.V..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 01/02/19 at 01:10:44

Justin does not do computing as we normally think about it.   He uses a 8" Fire tablet from Amazon as his computing base for any computing we would refer to as computing.

He could buy a Roku TV, and that could become his connection point.   Internet capable TVs are just that, computer equipped TVs.   But such are relatively expensive and Justin seeks a simple entry point that does not cost him a lot of $$$ for the experiment.

Justin sorta lacks a computing technological connection point to the Internet Streaming world beyond what a Fire tablet can give him.    He can do all the Amazon serviced stuff just fine, and he could Google off the Tablet if it were house broken (which I do not know if he has ever done).    Justin keeps reminding us his Fire tablet belongs to his wife, which I understand pretty well as my wife glommed on to mine after I was done investigating it and she uses it for gaming board games and it lives by her chair in the den.   She also uses two iPad 2 10" units, which are set up for different sorts of stuff that she likes to do.

Justin, get a Roku box on sale and hook it up to your existing TV.   It pre-packages the entire streaming thing for you in a simple, easy to understand package.

Your wife will instantly take it over, but that is a good thing.

It allows you to get rid of your cable and adopt Netflix and Amazon and Hulu as sources for "content"  (i.e. stuff you stream off the web).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 01/02/19 at 13:04:28

Justin sorta lacks a computing technological connection point to the Internet Streaming world beyond what a Fire tablet can give him.

Rephrased in words reflecting reality

Justin is a computer illiterate sumbitch..

Which I understand and agree with.

Your advice is appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:36:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Streaming services

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.