Send Topic Print
Streaming services (Read 159 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Streaming services
12/25/18 at 22:17:19

The cable costs are slowly creeping up, over the last thirteen years. The offerings are just crappier and crappier.
Someone suggested I look into streaming, and I don't think I know enough to get off the starting line.
I would appreciate a few clues about how it works, heck, I don't know enough to even ask good questions.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Streaming services
Reply #1 - 12/26/18 at 02:45:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/25/18 at 22:17:19:
The cable costs are slowly creeping up, over the last thirteen years. The offerings are just crappier and crappier.
Someone suggested I look into streaming, and I don't think I know enough to get off the starting line.
I would appreciate a few clues about how it works, heck, I don't know enough to even ask good questions.

I don’t know enough about the subject to answer the questions you are unable to ask.
We are not metro at all, over 8 miles outside the nearest little town, 4-5 miles from a cell tower, and require satellites for both TV and internet service.  We don’t have the fastest internet available but are on the next one down because of cost and so video streaming is buffered a lot.  Watching something even just a few minutes long is an exercise in patience.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/26/18 at 08:04:40

Download the free app, iPluto , to your phone, Roku, or smart tv, and get some free streams... or pay $10 a month for Netflix.
Or both... Huh
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spio.ipluto&hl=en_US

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 12/26/18 at 08:19:03

I don’t know enough about the subject to answer the questions you are unable to ask.

Admit it,you were kinda giggling when you typed that, weren't you?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #4 - 12/26/18 at 10:34:31

I know it made me chuckle. Wink

I'm with you. Starting to think about it. But really don't even know where to start.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 12/26/18 at 13:33:07

We just went through this so I can give you some ideas.  You have a lot of options in a couple of areas.  

First, you have to decide what you want from your streaming service (or services.)  There are a lot of different ways to get content, but let's assume you want something similar to cable so we'll start with that.

If you watch mostly network TV, news and Sports, YouTubeTV does a great job with that and you will get your local network stations as well (might depend on area) for ~$40 a month.  DVR functionality is included. You can share your account with 6 family members and use it on 3-4 different devices at the same time.

If you are looking to replace cable but keep HGTV, Food Network, History, and stations like that I would look into Sling TV for $25-$40+ a month. It gets more expensive if you need to add sports packages. DVR and family sharing might also add to the expenses depending on what level you choose.

There are other streaming services, but I would start by looking at those two to get an idea of what content you can get.  We chose YoutubeTV  because of the local content and sports along with the fact that we can watch our local sports teams on our phones/computers even when we are outside of our market.   So far we haven't missed Discovery, TLC, HGTV, or Food Network.

Next you have services that offer their own content like Amazon Prime, Netflix and network sites.  I think of these as supplemental services.  We are Prime members and have a Netflix subscription, but haven't really used them to supplement our TV yet.  (We don't watch a ton of TV to begin with.)  You will also find many more services on the device you may or may not need to purchase to steam content.

Which leads into the other choice you need to make.  What are you going to watch you content on.  You can use your phone, tablets, computers or TVs. If you have a Smart TV, you just download the providers app. If you have a regular TV, then you'll need to chose a streaming device like Roku, AppleTV, Fire TV or Chromecast. This gets confusing, and they all good products but some will suite your needs better than others.  We got a Roku Ultra mainly because it's easy to use and it allows me to use headphones with it's remote control or phone app.  That's a bonus for watching YouTube after the misses is in bed.  We got ours at Costco for less than $100.  

The last choice you have to make is where you are getting your data.  We kept our cable internet service, because it's fast and we still have kids in house.  We are still saving $100 a month compared to what we had before.  At some point, I'm going to cut that cord and just us unlimited data on our phones.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started.  Overall, I'm happy we cut the cord on cable and I was probably the one who watched the cable offerings the most.  But it was mostly just to kill time.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 12/26/18 at 18:08:27

Going further, wife and I are post cable cutters who use Amazon Prime, Netflix with a small side of Hulu and Crackle (freebie only on the last two).

We have lots to watch, and when Netflicks gets sorry we drop it for a few months until new stuff has a chance to build up again.    Wife will take Britbox for a month to get caught up, then drop that for Hallmark for a month so until that gets caught up.   Then Netflix for a bit, then something else.

Disney will take its turn in the rotation schedule soon, as Disney will recover all their good content and then will concentrate it under their own brand name.   I see this as a potentially good thing, as Disney scattered all over means having to buy too many different services.

A internet streaming service should cost $7.99 a month and you should be able to drop and re-up without any penalty.  All it requires is good internet ongoing and that costs $39.99 in my neck of the woods because there is no competition allowed (2 regulated suppliers).

In Raleigh, decent internet costs $14.99 and they all offer more bandwidth from the same suppliers, simply because Raleigh is a Google city and Google sets the lower end pricing by their own inexpensive lower end offerings ......  

In Raleigh, there is competition after a fashion because Google is there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 12/26/18 at 18:44:32

Netflix has turned into a pretty decent service.  Their self-produced content is getting better, and they even pick up some shows that get cancelled on other networks and make new seasons.
A Roku device is probably the best choice these days, but then I've never had Sling or Apple TV as a comparison.  I do know it's much better than the Chromecast devices I've owned.  Hulu can be a good service, but I find we don't watch much directly from them.  It's a cheaper way to add HBO or Cinemax for a month or two to watch some good stuff.  We did that for Black Sails.  We also added Britbox to watch the rest of an excellent series called Shetland; highly recommend watching that one to any of you guys.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/26/18 at 18:46:45

Does Roku Ultra replace my chiropractor?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/27/18 at 02:39:48

Roku is arguably the best box to hook a big TV up to (and it is what the wife uses in the den) but I survive just fine using a PC with a 22" monitor at my computer station.   I can use the same accounts (actually she swaps codes with family relatives so we don't even have to pay for all the services, they swap off everything they can and cover Grandma like a rug for free).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 12/27/18 at 08:04:24

I'm still reading. As soon as I think I know enough to ask questions, look out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/29/18 at 04:24:16

Returned a router to Best Buy and asked about streaming. They sell a gizmo called a fire stick. Sounded cool till the
Download the app
Part.
Wife is gonna Hafta be the one.
And
There's actual AnTennas out there, and even dvr to hook up.

Roku keeps coming up in my conversations about this.
I'm not planning on ending January with the cable still connected.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/29/18 at 04:30:10

https://www.cordcutters.com

I Wonder what they know that I don't.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/30/18 at 20:56:52

There are 2 general pathways.

1)  Antenna and DVR and put up with waiting for stuff to air ......

2)  Roku and internet connection (real streaming) .......

Both pathways cost money.   Both can get you there ..... better than cable, anyway.

I picked Roku and Internet, although I did have a DVR and antenna also at one point in time just for a couple of items, it was limited too much by what was showing locally and the DVR hardware was expensive (and the DVR equipment went obsolete way too quickly to suit me).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/31/18 at 04:16:15

Well, dangitt , but really, if I can find something today, that's playing now, would I feel the need to keep recordings?
I do record some series, but if I can find something else, ehh, I'll get over it.

It's probably not going to be a great idea to get an antenna. We're not close in to a big city.
Roku keeps getting mentioned..
That's helpful,
Thanks folks,,
Any other tidbits are appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 08:11:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Streaming services

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.