Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are Sport Bikes Sustainable? (Read 186 times)
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Re: Are Sport Bikes Sustainable?
Reply #15 - 12/21/18 at 07:10:51

I agree that there is going to be a market for smaller bikes. I don't know if the Grom market has died off or it will come back. I myself welcome small bikes, many of my friends 30+ year riders have some displacement rides ,
they range from vtr250, Morni 3 1/2, Enfield Himalayan, and I ride a Puch 250 sgs. Big bikes to me only make sense for long distance riding. I have a 72 Guzzi Eldorado,  for a long distance.

Right now I await the new Enfield 650 Interceptor. Don't know if I will buy one but it seem to be a modern version of another bike I had the Benelli 650 Tornado.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 12/21/18 at 07:51:04

Quote:
I agree that there is going to be a market for smaller bikes.

Small sport bikes are going to be part of that market IMO.

Both the MotoAmerica, and the World Superbike, racing series have a class for small bikes/ young riders. Unlike MotoGP these are production bike based series.

In MotoAmerica the riders  are 14- early twenties. The bikes are predominantly Kawasaki Ninja 300 and 400s, Yamaha R3s and KTM RC 390s. The grids are always full and there are enough entries  at every event that it's not easy to qualify for the main. The racing is always very close and very entertaining. The level of skill of some of these youngsters is pretty astonishing.

Even though the bikes have been modified for racing, as much as the rules allow, and the teams budgets permit, they still look pretty much like the versions of these motorcycles that you can walk into a dealership, buy, and ride home on. That ought to sell a few.

At least I hope so. I'd hate to see them disappear.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #17 - 12/22/18 at 08:11:34

Random thoughts:
Read recently that the big death group has changed from snot nosed kids on killer sport bikes to graybeards with money buying fast bikes after not riding in decades. It used to be if you stepped away form the industry for a bit, the bikes got a little faster. Now if you step away for decades, the bikes might have 4 times the HP of the ones you used to ride. And your reflexes are much worse.
Keith Code said that when he switched to the BMW S1000RR with all the fancy electronics (race ABS, traction control, etc), crashed rates dropped.
A bud bought an S1000RR and marveled at how controllable and safe it was. Ride it Balls Out into a turn, grab brakes with a death grip, lean over a bunch, and gas it. Said it was amazing and safe.
Then he crashed while racing overcooking a turn, spent $50K on a Medevac helicopter ride, and spent a LONG time recovering.
Can't imagine the bike companies make much money selling bikes that become obsolete in 3 years. And have insano development budgets.
Gotta figure that Triumph has made WAY more money on the Bonneville family than the sport bikes. Heavy, overbuilt, understressed, very slow to change, charge a premium price. And a bunch are made in Thailand. Compare the price and specs of a Bonnie and a 675 Street triple a few years ago. The triple gives Way more stuff for the same price as the twin.
But then again, there has always been the marketing theory that the race winners bring the customers into the showroom, even if all they do is buy the more pedestrian bike. Look at HD with flat track over the decades. Racing bikes with no connection to their street bikes, but instilling brand loyalty and giving them a 'winner' they can identify with.
More crazy numbers?
In 1976 Udo Geitl was given $150K to build three BMWs and win the inaugural Superbike championship. Which he did. Five years later he was crew chief for team Honda, with the same mission and result.. That year Honda spent $10.5 MILLION on the team. The amount to win a championship now is even more staggering.
Of course, there is huge amount of sponsorship money now. Back then they got a free parts and a few bucks. But, still, racing is crazy money.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 12/22/18 at 10:01:21

Death rates among middle aged men on motorcycles are rising in NZ too.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 12/22/18 at 10:56:09

jcstokes wrote on 12/22/18 at 10:01:21:
Death rates among middle aged men on motorcycles are rising in NZ too.

It’s a good thing I am well past middle age, gives me a much better chance of survival.  Especially since I ride a simple and relatively slow bike solo and a Sporty when my sepweetheart rides with me.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 12/22/18 at 12:29:25

Young , middle aged , snow topped peak or just OLD. None of us are protected by the odds or percentages or years on the seat. Odds maybe somewhat higher with some years under your belt before your senses begin to degrade , but death does not recognize any stat spread sheet or care if your married with children ! As precious as life is death is just as indiscriminate ! Grim, yes it's grim but it's also true. So ride smart ride safe and always stay focused when riding. Ride like the idiots in those videos and you better be prepared to pay your dues.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/22/18 at 19:59:21

Ruttly wrote on 12/22/18 at 12:29:25:
None of us are protected by the odds or percentages or years on the seat...

Ride like the idiots in those videos and you better be prepared to pay your dues.

----------------------

So true and yes, they are idiots!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 12/22/18 at 21:05:09

My Mom was so SMART !

So , when I was 15 going on 16 and dreaming of a Triumph 650 tiger .   My mom won a Honda 50 in a raffle.   She gave the dealer a few bucks extra and got the S-65cc model instead , she put it in the back seat of her Bonneville convertible and brought it to me for Christmas/Birthday that year.  

Thus SAVING MY LIFE IN THE PROCESS !   Wink

I'll forever think "Smaller" Bikes are good , I could make that little Honda S-65 do stuff that my larger bike will never do .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:24:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Are Sport Bikes Sustainable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.