Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas ??? (Read 804 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas
Reply #60 - 12/26/18 at 14:43:06

Congratulation on the apartment and bikes. So sad on the mortgage. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #61 - 12/26/18 at 14:56:27

Well, I got a leak in my roof, a flood at the front door, a leak in my gum boots and some wet insulation material.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #62 - 12/27/18 at 17:19:07

mpescatori

Is you new flat big enough ?   I'm thinking "What a great garage area" !

This new computer is so cool !  

It looks at me to know its me and logs in only to my face !  Wink

It also talked me through set-up and replies to  my questions , its almost like the keyboard is optional with the touch screen and all.

Its being "Really easy to like" ,  Cool

OK , Now ... one of you computer literate people :  is it easier to put my pictures on a SD card or use Blue-tooth to move them to the new one.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 12/27/18 at 18:24:13

Where are your pictures currently located?   What device?

If it is computer to computer, use the SD card or jump drive method then once they are COPIED OVER TO THE JUMP DRIVE/SD CARD, THEN COPIED FROM THE JUMP DRIVE/SD CARD TO YOUR NEW MACHINE your JUMP DRIVE/SD CARD then acts as your emergency backup in case of some really bad issue taking place with your new machine and your old machine, with both of them packing it in at the same time.  

Don't laugh, Microsoft can foul them both up with nightly updates that go very very wrong all at the same time.    You could be very happy to have the pics on a jump drive right about then.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 12/28/18 at 05:55:19

I agree with Oldfeller, have those files backed up on an SD drive, you never know what can happen.

"It also talked me through set-up and replies to  my questions , its almost like the keyboard is optional with the touch screen and all.

Its being "Really easy to like" ,
"

I'm not a fan of Cortana, I use other software for that but its good to know not everyone here is anti-voice tech.  The number of people here that are against using audio instead of reading the text is pretty interesting to me.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 12/30/18 at 19:56:27

MM, did you ever receive the Linux Mint Mate 19.1 DVD I sent to you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #66 - 12/31/18 at 14:56:51

I haven't checked the mail today .   But I'm curious , and looking for it !  Smiley
It could be the best Present yet !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #67 - 12/31/18 at 21:24:34

]
After 10 days, it should be there.   I know the mail gets messed up by the Christmas rush, the Christmas days off and then the New Year's holiday, but 10 days should be enough time for it to trickle on through the post office.

Let me know if it is lost, I can start a new disk headed your way ......

===================================================

New shipment was sent Jan 1    If the old shipment in the clear case is damaged or is something stupid is wrong with it like postage due just refuse it knowing the new one is on the way.

Get all the old data you want off the 17" laptop machine, pictures, etc. and COPY the data files on a jump drive so they can be copied to wherever you want them and also be preserved afterwards using the jump drive as a data safe.

Remember to charge your old laptop up all the way and hook up whatever mouse or USB hub or whatever else you like to use before cold booting the machine with the DVD in the drive.   Make sure the 17" laptop's WiFi is light lit and your router is on so the machine will go ahead and set that portion up as well too.

You can unhook things and turn things off after it is running, and they will remain set up & working properly for whenever you want to use them by plugging the stuff back in.

During installation routine, pick a VERY SHORT dirt simple easy to type password and remember to tell Mint to "take the whole hard drive" and you will get a brand new Linux HD format and a complete Linux hard drive file system installed, a completely modern system that doesn't require maintenance, file defrag nor re-compression nor any form of virus scanning.    

Servers use this sort of hard drive system for a reason, you know  ......  a server needs to run 24/7 for like 10 years without needing attention so that is what the Linux guys built.

Wink

Getting into the DVD cardboard package ---- look for the dotted side edge on the cardboard square and use a pair of scissors to trim off the last 1/8" of that edge to free the disk without damaging it.   Take care not to clip the edge of the disk.   Sticking a knife in there to slice it open isn't a good idea because you could scratch up or gouge the DVD read surface.  

Once you have trimmed most of the dotted edge you can rip open the remaining cardboard if need be, as it will be very weak and easy to tear along the dotted line.   Once again, take care not to clip the edge of the disk

« Last Edit: 01/02/19 at 16:25:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #68 - 01/01/19 at 21:03:06

OldFeller

We just had a conversation about the "Missing DVD" and Marcia says "is that the one in the red car ?"  

Yea , I just jumped up , ran out to the red car and guess what ?   found it !

We are taking Anders to the Air Port at 06:00 hrs tomorrow , so its bed time now.   I'll try Linux sometime this week (I hope).

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #69 - 01/02/19 at 01:39:19

MM, I do that too, mislay something and then have to ask the wife where I left it.

Sending Anders off has got to be hard, and is likely to get more hard as it sinks in.

Sending Anders to the Airforce is good and can form a good base to his life going forward.

« Last Edit: 01/02/19 at 04:47:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #70 - 01/02/19 at 16:27:38

MM, I do that too, mislay something and then have to ask the wife where I left it.  

NO   , I never knew of it , whoever checks the mail "knows" , everybody else is in the dark !  Roll Eyes

We got Anders off to Texas (Good Fellow AFB) and now things around the house can slow down a little.   He took the new Dell Windows (8.1) with him and a new phone w/unlimited everything to use as a "Hot-Spot".   He also has my Netflix password and it connects to his PS4 , so he should be a lot happier in his Private 2 bed room , kitchen , common room apartment.  He is so lucky !  Wink

« Last Edit: 01/03/19 at 08:34:19 by MMRanch »  

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #71 - 01/02/19 at 18:08:23

Yep, I would say Anders is as far ahead of the game starting out as I was when I was pushing 35 --- of course that was back when some of this stuff got invented .....

Grin

Post when you get the 17" laptop charged up and are ready to give it a Linux Mint Mate 19.1 install attempt.

You are going for a total cold boot on a laptop, so you will put the DVD in, shut the drive then turn the machine OFF, pull the charger to laptop connector, then pull the battery and give the laptop a few minutes to completely drain whatever capacitors etc. are charged up, then put the battery back in and turn it back on.    You want all of Windows to be dead, power drained away and totally turned off when the Mint Install boot cycle starts.

Mint Install should find the DVD drive and start up a SOMEWHAT SLOW DETECTION CYCLE, carefully determining what hardware you have and teeing up the bits and pieces of 19.1 Mint OS software to match your machine exactly.   This partially occurs both before and during the full install as the machine has to be recognized pretty well to get the desktop going.

The machine will boot into the stock Mint Mate desktop and it will have an Install Linux Mint icon on the home screen.   Click that to start up the Mint Install software.   Stand by to answer questions as the machine gets to the various stages.

If you get asked specific questions or asked for special permissions during this detection portion, POST THEM as they assume you know more about the Linux Mint OS than you currently know.

You can look the questions up on the Linux Mint internet forums to go get some instant help.   Go to the Mint forums and post what shows up on the screen and you will get a selection of answers for older version that may be helpful.  

You may see some of the responses come from the Ubuntu Forums, this is OK because Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS versions.

And don't worry, if you go ahead and try something and it doesn't work out, no biggie, just start over from a battery out of the machine total cold boot with the DVD sitting in the drive with the door closed again ......

When you start seeing time zone choices and dual boot choices, go slow, pick the right time zone and TELL MINT TO TAKE OVER THE WHOLE HARD DRIVE 100% FOR A FULL COMPLETE LINUX MINT INSTALLATION.   Remember, no dual boot.   0% Mickey ....

The thing that screws up most newbies is leaving any form of MS dual boot set up and good 'ol MS still visits the machine at night intentionally messing things up over time ......   This represents 85% of all newbie issues, BTW.    

Mickey likes to reserve over half your hard drive and 75% of your systems resources for Windows to use -- even it it isn't supposed to be running.    

So, to make things simple, get Mickey off the machine, totally.

Things that might well cause MS to destroy your installation disk or your machine's file system are not going to be a problem for a Linux only machine --- you might get a kernel panic and a detailed message telling you what the error was, not some blue screen of death with no usable information about what just took place and a machine that will not boot.  

MS just loves to invalidate your installation media then Mickey tells you to go buy a new one from the Microsoft Store --- you are obviously a software pirate after all ....

My bet is that all proceeds normally .... and you get your first Linux Mint Mate install with no problems.

P.S.   The Mint Online manuals are here if you want them ......           https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

« Last Edit: 01/03/19 at 10:13:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #72 - 01/02/19 at 23:53:31

MM, a couple of things I've noticed since mainly using Linux. I'm dual booted and not ready to go whole hog Linux.
1/ Your AT key becomes your INVERTED COMMA key and vice versa, you may have to get used to this when sending emails.
2/ You may experience Google crashes, however you will get frequent Google stability updates, install these and the crashes will stop. It probably does no great harm to install all Linux updates, even if a lot of them are in wierd languge.  You will see the little update shield turn blue when updates are available.
3/ Printing. Linux will ask you to set up your printer when you wish to use this. Click on ADMINSTRATION in the menu and printers should appear on the other side of the menu screen, click on this and do what it tells you. Ensure there are NO JOBS in the printer during set up.
4/ Scanning. Click on GRAPHICS in the menu and SIMPLE SCAN should appear on the other side. If you are scanning documents a trap is PNG files which are large and won't appear on sites where there is a 2MB limit on files. Simple scan only has a cropping tool and doesn't have some of the Windows enhancment features. There could be other scanning programmes in Linux.
5/ Fonts. If you use the LIBRE OFFICE programme, the font names are weird to say the least. There are a number in the programme and you can click on ACCESSORIES in the menu for more. FONT VIEWER  should appear on the other side  and you can scroll through a number. How you get them into the LIBRE OFFICE programme is a mystery to me.
6/ Photographs. On OF's suggestion I'm using GOOGLE DRIVE to get these out of a Samsung Android cell phone into Linux. This has been a steep learning curve, for an illiterate like me but I'm getting better at it. I'm not prepared to try and tell you how to go about it.
Hope this is of use, but if you are going 100% Linux it may not be necessary.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #73 - 01/03/19 at 09:31:53

jcstokes

This is my "Old Vista Computer" , so I've got nothing to loose and everything to gain !
Going "TOTAL" Linux is a  simple decision to my situation.
But
enough about my Christmas Computer ,   WHAT DID EVERYBODY GET ?

Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #74 - 01/03/19 at 09:48:26

I got my AR-15 magazine reloading board and a total of 12 each of the 30 round D&H aluminum magazines and 1,500 new bullets to make up rounds with.   Got a gift card from Amazon too.

Mine was a reloader's Christmas.

I also got 2 new Linux Mint users set up and installed for Christmas, and that is always a good gift to give/get as new users are a joy forever.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 13:41:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.