Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas ??? (Read 804 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas
Reply #30 - 12/21/18 at 10:07:11

So , What about internet protection ?    I've been running the paid for version of Avast with good results.    What does the Mint do for Virus Protection … or … will Avast and Mint "Co-exist"  ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 12/21/18 at 11:20:12

Oh do pay close attention while I grab on to your brain and twist your world around some .......

Linux Mint (and all the Linux browser softwares when properly installed and kept current by installing their little green shield updates promptly) have very few handles for windows malwares to even try to attack and grab on to.   Those little green shield updates cover the OS and all the free software you get from the Software Manager -- it is one cohesive update system.

And It Isn't Windows so none of the things you used Avast for will even work on Linux Mint.   It is naturally immune to them.

As a matter of fact, ALL COMMERCIAL LINUX ANTI-VIRUS products exist simply to protect the windows machines on your network that you may eventually interact with from getting a windows virus transmitted through a Linux machine somehow.

The Linux Kernel and the Mint distro itself has all the active Linux virus protections built into it and these are kept current by Linus and the maintainer boys --- skilled and dedicated folks who have a firm habit of completely eradicating any virus like stuff within mere days of it being discovered.   Something is found that can hurt a Linux machine, they immediately change the Linux kernel so that exploit simply cannot work any more ....... ever.

So, you don't need to do Avast or anything else on Linux Mint.

You don't need to scan for malware every few months.   I had installed Clam AV on my machine (FOSS software from the Software Manager) just to protect other users running windows machines, but I really don't need an antivirus on my Mint machine at all.   Clam AV didn't require me to do scans or anything else, it just dropped a mini window a few times to say what it had just killed and they were all Windows Natural illnesses that could not have hurt me on Linux Mint anyway.

You don't need to defragment or compress or "clean up your hard drive" again, ever.   Your hard drive's formatting will be changed during the "take over the entire hard drive" installation to a Linux hard drive format that does not get clogged up or slow down, ever.   It is a self-correcting format and it never needs attention paid to it ever again.

Your Linux operating system does not get old or slow down over time, it does not degrade at all during the period of time between major upgrades.

Linux upgrades do not cause problems nor do they require "more resources" -- the opposite is true as Linux speed improvements over time are the rule of thumb, not the windows like long term performance decay you are used to seeing.

==================================================

I actually felt plumb LAZY when I first went to Linux Mint because I didn't have to spend time doing routine "proper machine maintenance" all the time like I had to do on Windows.    

And I can vouch that Linux Mint machines really don't slow down or get crapped up over the years like a Windows machine.

And no, you won't really believe it either, until about 5 years or so have gone by ......

Here are a couple of websites that list all the Linux viruses "found in the wild".  Please note the end date on many of them as that is when the kernel was fixed so they simply cannot be any more.   Also note that some are internet based viruses that exist on the web or on Windows machines and can be re-transmitted endlessly, but do not really affect Linux machines any longer since kernel fixes were put in place.

https://www.unixmen.com/meet-linux-viruses/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware#Viruses

« Last Edit: 12/22/18 at 04:55:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #32 - 12/21/18 at 12:39:57

O.F., I have an old computer that has a bug in the the start up menu and so I cannot log on. Would I be able to install Mint without overwriting the contents of the hard drive?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 12/21/18 at 12:46:12

You want to repair your windows boot menu / boot sequence.    

What flavor of Windows are you running?  

Are you dual booting with Linux or are you "old windows natural"?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #34 - 12/21/18 at 12:50:52

If I recall correctly that particular machine was and XP machine. I just want to get into the computer to retrieve some data and from there leave it as a Linux machine.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 12/21/18 at 13:01:41

Go get a Linux CD or DVD, pop it in the drive and let the machine boot off of the optical drive.

Now you can use Linux to poke around inside the hard drive and you can make copies of what you need to get off the machine.

Then, once you have got your stuff off the machine, let the Linux DVD fully install the software and tell it to "take the entire hard drive".

or, go download an XP based boot sector repair tool off the web and fix your old boot sector and boot sequence, then use XP to copy all the files you want preserved.

If you still have your original XP disks, they can "repair your boot sector on your hard drive" as a menu option on the installation disk.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #36 - 12/21/18 at 13:08:36

Thanks Oldfeller. I do not have the XP discs and I am actually quite curious about Linux. I have not even connected this computer to an electrical outlet in years. If it is still functional I think I will make it my Linux box. Again, thanks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 12/21/18 at 13:39:48

Optical drives on the XP box --- CD or DVD?

Modern linux distros come on DVDs due to size now-a-days and some XP machines lacked both DVD drives and USB ports (they weren't invented yet).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #38 - 12/21/18 at 13:45:27

Good question. I do not know. I will have to check when I get home. Probably just CD drive.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 12/21/18 at 13:47:35

To start a Linux Mint Mate 19.1 version DVD ISO image to downloading, go here ---- pick one of the USA based mirrors and it should start the DVD ISO to downloading and it will take about 10 minutes to complete (less if your connection is better than average).

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3670

I assume you have some form of DVD burner software available on your machine .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 12/21/18 at 13:55:28

springman wrote on 12/21/18 at 13:45:27:
Good question. I do not know. I will have to check when I get home. Probably just CD drive.

If CD only, that is a bit of an issue.

You are now old enough (going back far enough) you need to know if you have a 64 bit processor or not --- XP is old enough that some Intel processors were still 32 bit only.  

Heck, XP did not even become a real 64 bit OS until Service Pack 2 came out ......

When you have your processor identified, go here and order an appropriate DVD disk.   WARNING:  Mint 19.1 doesn't come on CDs any more, it is too big since it carries all the software you would generally ever want with it.    

If you have a USB port on your machine you can also get the stuff on a bootable 16 GB USB 2.0 drive.    They say old USB 1.0 drives can still read this 16 gig USB 2.0 drive from these folks, but it will just do it a lot slower .....  but that is something to think about a bit since this jump drive system costs relatively more money .....

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/linux-usb.html

XP has a whole set of various obsolescent things clustered all around it .....

Here is an XP class expansion slot USB 2.0 port card for $18 bucks .....   It should come with a drivers disk that also allows the use of bootable USB devices, if not you can get a driver off the web somewhere.    Early XP predates both DVDs and bootable USB drives, so don't count on them being driver supported on a  very old XP machine unless you put the drivers on there yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Port-PCI-USB-Card-Adapter/dp/B002VY53ZK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1...

« Last Edit: 12/22/18 at 07:14:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #41 - 12/22/18 at 04:06:29

All this talk of linux makes me smile/laugh! I switched when Gates demanded i pay for an OS! Maybe 15 years ago? Not a fart in a carload ever since over many versions of linux.  Mate is the new XP!  For those who wish to keep up with what's going on in linux, try this site; https://www.dedoimedo.com/  Lots of good analysis
and criticism when warranted. Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 12/22/18 at 04:35:27

Zipidachimp,

I go through the same song and dance routine every time folks get ready to waste their money "upgrading" their Windows machines by blowing $500-$600  on yet another "new and improved" Wintel machine.

I used to have to try to convince them to use the right oil in their Savage and to get rid of their vacuum actuated petcocks and go get a Raptor petcock too.  

Acceptance comes ........   slowly but surely.

I feel that old men take about 20 repetitions before they start to learn something radically new .......   but if it is couched in self-interest terms they can start to get a handle on it then they get curious and want to try it out.  

Then you help them do that as much as you can.

It helps when the converted will chime in and tell them to believe it ......  they don't you know, believe it.

Mainly because Mickey has very carefully created this "total dependency" mildset and they really think they can't live without Mickey's little weekly updated disaster running on their machines.

They cannot imagine not having to do clean ups, defrags and re-compressions as a routine rote kind of maintenance thing.

« Last Edit: 12/22/18 at 09:29:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 12/22/18 at 08:47:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFoY7pxWJa4        It is a YouTube, just watch it.

Watch this just to get caught up with what might be coming out in a few weeks at CES 2019.    This guy is excited, can you tell he's excited ???

There will be new stuff coming out from AMD that buries Intel and NVIDIA completely.    Stuff that buries Intel's roadmap they just released going out past Intel's promised 5 years out into the future.    OVERCOME BY EVENTS ......  passe' ...... obsoleted    <flooosh>

TSMC says they have plenty of 7nm EUV burn capacity to support this roll out because NVIDIA isn't ordering anything new right now because they had grossly over produced their old graphics cards (for data mining uses) but are now insisting on wanting to sell the old stuff out first before making anything else new.

Dump all your old trash, NVIDIA --- dump it now.   If you don't, AMD will simply replace you in the market place with better products at half the cost and you NVIDIA will still be holding all your last years obsoleted video cards.

Intel will have to REACT at ONCE to this next year, getting out of their rut finally ...... hopefully anyway.     or not, as the case may be

Or at the end of CES this year the Fat Lady may quietly walk up to the mike and sing softly in memory of Intel, finally at last.

« Last Edit: 12/23/18 at 01:20:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 12/22/18 at 09:09:00

Dear Santa,...
Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:22:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.