Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas ??? (Read 804 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas
Reply #15 - 12/20/18 at 00:40:01

verslagen1 wrote on 12/19/18 at 09:02:49:
You should put mint on the toshiba.

I agree with Versy, you should expand your computer mind and save the money.

You can get a fully functional, relatively quick computer for free .......   Your Microsoft OS is sorry, not your old hardware.

Put Linux Mint Mate on it.    I bet your wife has used such at schools on occasion.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 12/20/18 at 01:02:49

MM, since you have several computers, it would be worth your while to consider the Linux Mint option. It shouldn't cost more than US$6 to get a disc, you could then uninstall the Vista and let someone tell you how to "Burn and Scrape" the Vista, you would still have Windows on your other computer so you could make an effective comparison if you wish. I've been using Linux since about April this year. There is a learning curve which I've largely sorted. Still having fun and games uploading photos from my cell phone. I've had to partition Windows7 and Linux in my computer. As of now I don't want to dump Windows completely because of the photography issues. If you think you're computer illiterate, I'd leave you in the dust, if it came to an illiteracy championship. US$6 is a cheap pressie.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/20/18 at 04:36:42

MM, come back to us with some indication of interest, or a lack of interest as the case may be.

I have burned you an installation DVD of Linux Mint Mate 19.1 and it is sitting next to my keyboard.   Make a positive indication and it can be there by New Years Day.    on the way now

Yes, Santa Claus is real when it comes to Linux Mint.

Full instructions about what to do with it are here .......   (stick it in your DVD drive and reboot the laptop, can't get much easier than that)

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

Once it is running off the DVD, this will help get you past your "oh my goodness" confusion stage.    There is an icon on the DVD installation version's desktop to do a full installation with any full installation details you might could want in the link above if the built-into-the-software instructions and explanations aren't good enough.

Or, since you already use Firefox just click on the Firefox icon and get started to using it.

MM, we are serious ----- install Linux Mint on one of your "dead" laptops (one with a working DVD drive and a working screen, naturally) and see if it doesn't run better than your latest Win 10 unit.

Buy your wife what she wants and still have a internet searching and Savage posting laptop of your very own kept off to the side ......  one that is as fast or faster than hers, but costs you literally nothing.

« Last Edit: 12/20/18 at 11:19:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 12/20/18 at 08:53:12

jcstokes

I suddenly feel so  "Worldly"

Smiley

OLDFELLER

You know I have to hunt to find the ON button when I reach for a computer ?    Huh

But I'll have to admit , I cryied for two weeks when I had to switch from Vista to Windows 10 .    Embarrassed

Fact is I'm still scratching my head a lot trying to make Windows 10 do my bidding.   Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 12/20/18 at 10:53:29

Linux Mint Mate looks and works a whole lot like XP or Win 7.   Old familiar appearance and menu system.   Old home week stuff that simply runs faster and with less hassles.

Your DVD is in the mail winging your way.

As they have said for the last longest time, What'cha got to lose by looking at it?

Stick the DVD in and reboot the machine and take a look at it.

===================================================

General recommendations for first time Linux Mint users ......  you can do a dual boot installation if you feel queasy about going whole hog.   I did so, because I had no experience with Mint but soon I stopped dual booting and went whole hog on Mint and totally got rid of Windows.

Why?   The Windows half kept screwing up the whole machine with the nightly update crap and I had to reinstall the Mint DVD like 4 times over the next couple of years because of them sorry arsed broken window panes.

Good news is you can reinstall Mint on that machine or on any other machine literally HUNDREDS of times until the DVD gets too scratched up to read correctly.    Hey, and once I got Windows completely off the machine totally it hasn't screwed up since then, ever.

And like any good FOSS software, the cost per installation remains forever $0.00 with the same price being charged for all the additional software that you could ever want -- just go to the Software Manager item under the little bottom left Mint symbol and go get yourself whatever your heart desires.  

Mint pre-loads all the best of the best for you, automatically anyway, but sometimes you need something else for whatever reason, and it takes just a click or two to go get it.

Once the software shows up on your software list, right click and drag an icon pointer back to the program over to the desktop this will drop you a movable desktop icon to make it easy to get to the program with a single double click.

Easy peasey all the way ......  that's Mint.        

Enjoy the sweet scent of the minty green goodness

« Last Edit: 12/20/18 at 12:44:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/20/18 at 12:49:30

MMRanch wrote on 12/20/18 at 08:53:12:
jcstokes

I suddenly feel so  "Worldly"

Smiley

OLDFELLER

You know I have to hunt to find the ON button when I reach for a computer ?    Huh

But I'll have to admit , I cryied for two weeks when I had to switch from Vista to Windows 10 .    Embarrassed

Fact is I'm still scratching my head a lot trying to make Windows 10 do my bidding.   Sad

I remember when the on/off switch was in the back.
And rue the day they made the reset button the same size and the on/off button (yes, people had to push it that often) as my kids kept pushing it.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 12/20/18 at 14:21:30

MM and OF, one issue I had early in the piece with Linux were Google crashes. I install every Linux update relating to "Google Stability" and the problem has dissappeared. Following OF's advice I turned off Windows updates before I went to Linux, I'm not saying MS doesn't invade my computer at night, but then I'm too illiterate to know. MM, if you do decide to try Linux, update through "packages" and don't worry about "local mirrors" even if they are supposedly faster. With multiple computers, you have nothing to lose.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 12/20/18 at 16:30:11

I bought my MAC at Christmas 2010 and it had a terabyte then, we’ll it still does.  All the app’s plus everything I’ve stored since then barely uses up 10%  of memory.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 12/20/18 at 18:43:34

Getting? Lump O' Coal and a switch.
Giving?
I've got 21 triangles with 15 holes in them, scorched by the mapp gas torch, sprayed with polyurethane, and a buttload of golf tees to send to people.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 12/20/18 at 20:41:34

MM gets the advantage of starting out totally current and caught up.   Mint Mate 19.1 is brand new and totally fresh as of 12/20/2018.

Right hand bottom of his screen is the little update shield that will show MM how many upgrades he is due to take, all he has to do is accept each one when the number count goes from a check mark to a number showing on the little shield.    He starts the update by clicking on the shield icon with the number in it.   Updates take less than 2 minutes to do, more if your internet connection is very slow as Mike's tends to be.

Other good advice, pick a very simple very short password.   Mint does not demand that you have a long complicated password, so don't have one.    Have a dirt easy to remember VERY SHORT and easy to type password.   I have used 2 digits before, but you can do a very short word if you like.   Make your life easy, not hard.  

Google, if you want it, has to be installed from Google's web site -- it is the only way it comes any more.

Type this into the browser bar on the machine you plan to put it on and follow the instructions that show up on your screen.      You must do this from the new Mint machine as Google senses the machine and gets the right Linux Mint Mate stuff set up automatically.   There is no disk involved, it is all direct to the actual machine it is going on to.

https://www.google.com/chrome/

Firefox is already part of Linux Mint 19.1 and shows on the bar on the bottom of the page.   As always, you can right click on that icon and drag an icon to your desktop and put it where you want it.

« Last Edit: 12/21/18 at 02:26:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 12/20/18 at 20:54:23

Vocabulary : Reboot

Turn on and run the disk ?

………………………..

I'm thinking of getting all my old pictures off my old Vista 17" screen , unplugging the internet so the Vista won't freeze itself before the new program can even run.

Marcia has already got my new computer under the tree.  

So ,
how hard is it learn the new Linux system ?
what kind of internet protection works on Linux

Money is not an issue , what the thing for me is ease of use.   I have gotten used to  Window 10 - but have never Liked it.  
I guess I need to play with the new system for a while.      

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 12/20/18 at 20:59:28

If your wife bought you both a new computer, then by all means use it.  Don't be upsetting the wife who bought you something expensive and nice.

If you want to play with Mint, you can do that too (later on).

You can get help here on the list by simply telling us what you need and there are several Mint users on here all the time that can help you.

Copy the pictures over to a jump drive or to Dropbox or to the Google Drive account you got with your Android phone (yes, you have a 15 gig Google Drive account attached to your gmail.com email address that is all part of setting up any new Android phone).

===================================================

Reboot = open the drive, put the DVD in, close the drive and then restart the machine by pressing and holding the power button until it shuts off, then punching the power button once to start up the boot sequence again.  

Then the Mint software senses your hardware configuration and sets itself up completely off what it sees at that particular point in time --- so make sure you have your internet cable connection plugged in, you have your WiFi system on the laptop turned on, and you got any and all USB hub type gimcracks, ball mice, game pads and any and all other accessories that you ever plan to use all cabled to the machine when you first install the software.    Simpler that way .....  you can unplug it later and it will work when you plug it back in.

Remember to charge the battery up completely and have the charger plugged in before starting anything to do with your operating system, as an uncharged battery and low voltage can cause you to foul up the set up sensing on all sorts of things ......

Since already know your Win 10 is unreliably slow on the 17" machine, I'd tell Mint to take over the whole hard drive during set up.    Dual booting with Win 10 is a lose lose proposition as Win 10 will attempt to remove Mint as "unauthorized software" periodically during Win 10 updates and this will totally break your machine each time Win 10 tries to take over everything.  

Plus, sharing resources on a system that can't even hold Win 10 by itself is pretty much built to fail.    Mint by itself is about 1/5 the size of Win 10 and you will find it really moves well when Mint is installed alone by itself on that same hardware and memory that could not quite handle Win 10 by itself.

« Last Edit: 12/21/18 at 06:47:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 12/20/18 at 21:17:03

Luddite dictionary
Reboot
Kicked him again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Victim of lousy timing, story of my life!
Reply #28 - 12/20/18 at 08:46:10

Not sure how OT's thread got jacked......
But I will try and blend his question and the age stuff together, and I think it could be considered a "neat" gift.......

I am hoping to hold the hands of my grand kids, as we walk a unbeaten path, and they share their dreams with me.
In the current climate of blame, and I want, the simple slowness of drinking in the moment, is what I want  Smiley

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL  Grin

Hope Santa brings you all, what you wanted, I mean goodness, he sure got excited when you set upon his lap, requesting it, YES?   Undecided

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 12/21/18 at 07:48:21

I jacked my own thread, I often do that because I can.

Nor do I care if the thread wanders around some.

Noteable quote of the day about Linux Mint versions ----- this comes from the Mint maintainers themselves, so it is trustworthy enough I guess.

"Linux Mint is also involved in the development of MATE, a classic desktop environment which is the continuation of GNOME 2, Linux Mint’s default desktop between 2006 and 2011. Although it misses a few features and its development is slower than Cinnamon’s, MATE runs faster, uses less resources and is more stable than Cinnamon."

To this recommendation I will add "Of all the distros Mint Mate most closely resembles Windows XP and Windows 7 --- and Mint Mate has maintained the quick keystroke command combinations that were made famous by those older Windows versions.   The structure of Mint Mate continues the classical Windows traditions and of the entire lot it looks and feels most like XP and Win 7."

These are actually some pretty strong recommendations for us older computer users.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 16:41:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › What neat stuff are you getting for Christmas ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.