Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I found a nice case guard / crash bars source (Read 258 times)
Mechaniac
YaBB Newbies

Lisa

Magnolia, Texas, USA
I found a nice case guard / crash bars source
12/16/18 at 17:32:03

[/url

[url=https://postimg.cc/7GLsVMS4]

If this part has already been posted I apologize.  I had searched this site pretty hard and only found that most disliked the Suzuki bars calling them so small they are useless and pics of a Winger bar that is no longer in production.  I needed some for my wife's S40 as she's a brand new rider and wanted to have some protection in case of the inevitable lay down.  I was digging around hard on Ebay for a while before I stumbled upon these, it seems he's improved the description for searching a bit since I got these about 5 weeks ago.  I got time to install them last week.  

The chrome luster is a perfect match to the Suzuki parts.  The material is heavy wall and the bending is really good, both sides match perfectly.  The welding could be better but it's not horrible.  I ended up using two bolts out of my bin slightly longer to enable me to use two more washers.  At the bottom it attatches to the long cross bolt  that goes from the peg brackets through the engine.  I think something changed from Suzuki here through the years as his supplied bolt was to short and the diagram supplied showed a separate bolt from each side.  I just reused my existing long bolt after figuring out that the nut on the other side was the same fastener.  At this point the supplied spacer was too large for my 2014 so I had to grind it down about an eigth of an inch to make it fit.  The instructions were basic but got the job done, there's not much to this install.  The yellow front reflectors were in the way of the top clamp so I flipped them around after grinding off their indexing pins, if I hadn't told you this you probably wouldn't. notice.  

Overall I'm happy with it and the price was nice, at about $112 but the vendor is in Belgium so shipping was a steep $43.  So at about $155 to me in TX it's priced similar to the smaller Suzuki bars that are readily availible.  He sent them Belgium Post which came USPS once they reached the states this actually wasn't bad as I ordered on a Sunday and recieved them 9 days later.  One of the ears had poked out of the box but wasn't damaged, probably my mail man.  I mentioned this to the vendor so he can address it, the other ends were wrapped better.

If this looks like something for you search for him on EbayMotors under vendor name motorsloopbg or auction description : SUZUKI LS650 LS 650 SAVAGE CRASH BAR ENGINE GUARD.  He has a website that I found searching his vendor name in Belgium and used Google Chrome's site translation to convert to English.  Looks like a Motorcycle salvage and parts shop with some custom made accessorys like this one. http://www.motorsloopbg.be/

EDIT: I was thinking I should add that the owner is a sole proprietor type of guy and he sent several emails during the process so that I felt like a customer in his shop and not just a packing slip at the big box motorcycle accessorys catalog.  I was just looking over his emails to get his name right (Guido) and found something I had forgot.  When I mentioned to him that there isn't a good crash bar for this bike availible in the US and if it was good I would share the information about it on this forum he expressed appreciation for that and said that if we ordered two or more at one time he could play with the postage costs.  He says he doesn't make them himself but usually keeps two or more in stock and can order more if needed.  So if there's some interest one might try forming a group buy to knock some of that high shipping costs down.  Guido is a nice guy and is willing to work like that for his customers it would seem.

« Last Edit: 12/17/18 at 08:12:28 by Mechaniac »  
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I found a nice case guard / crash bars source
Reply #1 - 12/17/18 at 04:55:15

This is good to know.

With eBay so much of it is junk I never even think to go there.

IP Logged
Banzai310
YaBB Newbies

Gilbert AZ
Reply #2 - 12/29/18 at 22:00:08

Excellent, thanks for the intel!

2001 Savage / Raptor / Dyna / Verslavy Mod
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/31/18 at 04:58:57

I would take two of these but I am in CO and not TX so I'm not sure how that will drop shipping costs.

IP Logged
Mechaniac
YaBB Newbies

Lisa

Magnolia, Texas, USA
Reply #4 - 12/31/18 at 05:19:09

I'm not trying set up a group buy, I just letting the group know that the vendor mentioned it.  You would have to email him and see what the difference would be.  Then you or someone else round up everyone interested and have them shipped to one location in a big box stateside then spilt them up and ship them to the individual participants here.

Texas is just where I live, not the US distribution point.

Vernon

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 12/31/18 at 05:54:05

Every crash bar I've ever seen used on a Savage makes me nervous! First off ,our cases/heads don't really hang out the sides of the bike ,and the guard you show narrows at the base , so what part of the bike  is really protected? maybe the rear turn signal?A foot peg?  Second, If you go down at speed ,all I see is the bolt at the top snapping or a weld braking,  and the guard folding back into your leg, it may brake your leg or pin it against a hot motor, or both ,and trap it there,  (there should be a brace running from the outboard portion of the guard rearward,  to either the motor case or better yet the bike's frame to prevent it ) so the real question is,  does it protect you or end up causing more damage ?I would rather except road rash than a chance of a broken and burnt leg,and maybe not be able to release myself from a downed bike.( which could have gas from the tank ignite)

« Last Edit: 12/31/18 at 07:04:58 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Mechaniac
YaBB Newbies

Lisa

Magnolia, Texas, USA
Reply #6 - 12/31/18 at 17:24:30

Batman, by my reckoning it would combine with the much cheaper to replace pegs to keep the engine off the pavement.  The pegs aren't protected by this at all, it narrows at the bottom like you said to the point the pegs are wider than the bars.  The bike isn't heavy enough to break these welds or bolts at non fatal speeds.  I have yet to go down on a cycle without at least putting a foot out to try to catch myself.  Or if speed was too fast, freeing myself from the bike and taking my chances stopping without it.  That's only happened once so far and when I was still young enough to pull it off well thankfully.  Even if my wife doesn't react like me the bars aren't so big that they could fold all the way back to the riders leg, if anything they could keep the bike from crushing your leg during a fall so bad.  If they do rotate at the pivot, and upon a just now examination they probably will, it would eventually hit the head before folding against the side of the engine, leaving some room on the left side and it will hit the exhaust pipe on the right before anything else witch is good.  Is that worse than nothing at all?  At a high speed it could be.  Take a close look at the pic with my foot on the peg and see if you understand my reasoning.  There's just not enough span to fold back and trap you, unlike the winger bar which from the pics I looked could do what you just described.  I had not thought about it until now.  I understand your apprehension but from having installed it and ridden with it on I just don't think it's a likely scenario.   I my opinion this product is just good enough to prevent a minor fall from causing excessive damage but if it's a high speed crash it's luck if the bike is reparable with or without this.  

I don't have any skin in the game, just my opinions.  I could be wrong?  Hopefully I never find out is my thoughts.  These also give my 120 lb. wife more pivot to leverage it up if she drops it when there's no help around (she did forget to put the kick-stand down once during motorcycle training school).  For what I want to do and expect they seem good.

Vernon

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 01/08/19 at 22:18:58

Perhaps I was hasty in my evaluation, I agree it would help protect the bike if it fell or was knocked over. I doubt it would help much if you went down at speed ,but then again what would.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
crazymactech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/26/19 at 18:03:50

Does he still sell them?  I can't seem to find them no matter what words I search on at ebay

IP Logged
Mechaniac
YaBB Newbies

Lisa

Magnolia, Texas, USA
Reply #9 - 06/27/19 at 09:26:51

This is the seller: https://www.ebay.com/str/motorsloopbg but he doesn't have anything listed at the moment though his feedback is over 99%.

Here's his website, he's in Belgium but based on my emails with him during my purchase, the looks of his shop (online pics) and his Ebay score I would have no problems ordering from him directly if that's possible.  

I had to open it in Google Translate to read it in English so you may have to figure that out as well.  http://www.motorsloopbg.be/

Good luck,
Vernon

IP Logged
overland
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/31/20 at 08:27:50

Mechaniac, I was reading your post about your s40 engine guard. Im looking at the one you bought, a newbie here; could you explain what you meant by flipping the side reflectors when you did your install. Thanks

IP Logged
Mechaniac
YaBB Newbies

Lisa

Magnolia, Texas, USA
Reply #11 - 08/31/20 at 15:59:12

Yes it's really simple, they fasten on at the top end and kind of hang down.  I may have removed a indexing pin from the plastic or similar that allowed me to spin them up so they cleared the bar.  If you compare to stock they may be an inch or two higher.

Vernon

IP Logged
overland
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/31/20 at 17:18:35

Thanks, I'll  see if I can locate the guy in belgium

IP Logged
belgiumsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/01/20 at 12:31:47

The guy from motorsloop is a real nice guy , he works alone and has quiet lots of secondhand and new parts in his small shop and is thrustworthy , i been there a few times myself.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/11/20 at 19:01:16

The chrome luster is a perfect match to the Suzuki parts.

He's probably gonna sue you for that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:07:15

General CategoryThe Marketplace › I found a nice case guard / crash bars source

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.