Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gosh! That would just be horrible! (Read 153 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gosh! That would just be horrible!
Reply #15 - 12/07/18 at 11:53:30

"Do you need to see references to know art is beneficial?"

No.

"There are things that are universally intuitive aren't there? "

No.

I am asking, because I am curious, if there is a psychological benefit to decorations in a classroom, and if so, why.  

I already indicated that to me it was a non-issue growing up, thus my wondering why its an issue to begin with, I have no direct recollections of decorations meaning anything in school.    

If I was working there I wouldn't think twice about removing decorations, but since there is backlash against this ban there must be a reason.

Is that reason because there is a psychological benefit to children seeing decorations in a classroom?

Is there a reason you want to ask me more questions, that I provide clear and concise answers to, instead of answering my question?

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/07/18 at 11:56:13

WebsterMark wrote on 12/07/18 at 11:30:09:
 Seriously? There are things that are universally intuitive aren't there?

no, there's not.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/07/18 at 12:24:41

If I was working there I wouldn't think twice about removing decorations, but since there is backlash against this ban there must be a reason.

Is that reason because there is a psychological benefit to children seeing decorations in a classroom?

Is there a reason you want to ask me more questions, that I provide clear and concise answers to, instead of answering my question?

I guess I'm surprised anyone would ask if decorations are beneficial, especially to children.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/07/18 at 12:26:15

LostArtist wrote on 12/07/18 at 11:56:13:
WebsterMark wrote on 12/07/18 at 11:30:09:
 Seriously? There are things that are universally intuitive aren't there?

no, there's not.  

Sure there are. It is universally intuitive that there is good and there is evil.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 12/07/18 at 12:48:42

Sure there are. It is universally intuitive that there is good and there is evil.

I'm gonna agree with that.
The thing is, I'm not convinced everyone has the same idea about
What is good
And
What is evil.
I suspect I'd call some things evil that someone else would call good.
But yeah, generally your statement seems right.

Why make the school, which is part of the lives of the kids, devoid of any reference to the season that is part of our culture?
If the school is necessarily without a connection to the season, why not just keep school open through it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 12/07/18 at 13:01:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/07/18 at 12:48:42:
If the school is necessarily without a connection to the season, why not just keep school open through it?

That blows a giant hole in summer vacation...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/07/18 at 13:14:06

"I guess I'm surprised anyone would ask if decorations are beneficial, especially to children. "

I indicated that I did not attribute much if any value to decorations inside my schools as I advanced in grades.  This was an attempt to explain why I have the question.  The value of decorations to me is low, their substantive influence to my youth is negligible and I would say had next to zero importance to my daily activities in school.  

Not decorations in general, I mean specifically inside a public school classroom.  Not "beneficial" but "psychologically beneficial" as that is at least measurable to a small degree and not entirely anecdotal.

If children attended a school that did not display holiday decorations what detrimental effects, if any, would exist?

Can those detrimental outcomes be mitigated by means that are not holiday decorations?  If it's a creativity issue can art and sculpture in general substitute?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/07/18 at 13:20:30

"Sure there are. It is universally intuitive that there is good and there is evil."

I don't agree with this.  High performing Sociopathic individuals typically act in self-serving capacities that do not involve the assigning of good or evil.  They live in an almost mental Newtonian Law environment where each action has a reaction (equal and opposite do not apply as this is psychological and not physical) and in order to get a reaction they want they need only apply the most efficient catalyst action with zero regard to the emotional value of the catalyst action.

This is why most truly psychopathic sociopaths are discovered as children, they are incapable of covering up their criminal behavior as they are completely unaware that what they did was "bad", and are completely incapable of applying that concept to their daily activities.  

While today there are treatment programs (containment is more accurate) these children historically were treated as animals, or in certain social structures as demons or possessed.  They rarely survived into adulthood.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/07/18 at 13:38:16

I don't agree with this.  High performing Sociopathic individuals typically act in self-serving capacities that do not involve the assigning of good or evil

People who are blind from birth have no concept of color. Sociopaths are the same way. Their handicap is lack of empathy or even humanity just like a blind person's handicap is lack of sight. They wouldn't enter into a discussion of good vs evil in the same way a blind person wouldn't enter into a discussion on color.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #24 - 12/07/18 at 15:25:42

timmy we've been lying  to you
there is no santa claus

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #25 - 12/07/18 at 15:36:39

Eegore wrote on 12/07/18 at 11:53:30:
"... I already indicated that to me it was a non-issue growing up, thus my wondering why its an issue to begin with, I have no direct recollections of decorations meaning anything in school..."    

It is clear, that, ’no’, decorations/celebration, did, have a affect on you.
because you formed the opinion;
“… If I was working there I wouldn’t think twice about removing decorations…”

“…Is that reason because there is a psychological benefit to children seeing decorations in a classroom? …”

Yes   It is what drives the Apple commercial, ‘Give Away Your WORK’, to be shown at this time of year, not July.
It is what drives people to, ‘donate’, things/money, at this time of year, not July.
It is what drives people to put change in a red kettle, which does not happen in July.

So now it is established that a ‘Opinion IS Formed'.
One is: “…I wouldn’t think twice about removing decorations…”
And one is:  “…Why take away this experience from hundreds of children to POSSIBLY lessen the experience of one? …”
Depending on what one is, exposed/or not, to.

Now the question is, which one id, is correct ?

Oh wait, that opinion will depend on what POV one, is/is not, exposed to !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #26 - 12/07/18 at 15:39:29

Serowbot wrote on 12/07/18 at 09:56:19:
 My experience is similar to yours... non-religious.
As a child, it was mostly about presents and bright colours.
Fading into secondary school and high school.
Now,.. it's mostly bad traffic, long lines, and annoying music...  

I truly feel sorry for you.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #27 - 12/07/18 at 15:45:24

thumperclone wrote on 12/07/18 at 15:25:42:
timmy we've been lying  to you  there is no santa claus

"...You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood."

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/07/18 at 16:17:26

"It is clear, that, ’no’, decorations/celebration, did, have a affect on you."

I did not indicate it had zero effect, I indicated it had near zero growing up.  Also I indicated that decorations were present, the opposite of 'no' decorations.

To clarify, while I was in the process of passing from adolescence through puberty and post-pubescent young adulthood in public school there were contained within the property holiday-based decorations, typically reducing in frequency as grades progressed.

I was exposed to holiday decorations, and do not at this time have an understanding of why they are important.

"So now it is established that a ‘Opinion IS Formed'.
One is: “…I wouldn’t think twice about removing decorations…”
And one is:  “…Why take away this experience from hundreds of children to POSSIBLY lessen the experience of one? …”
Depending on what one is, exposed/or not, to."

I agree with this except for the last part where you indicate one point of view is from someone who was not exposed to holiday decorations since in this case both individuals were exposed, yet yield separate questions.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #29 - 12/07/18 at 18:25:49

MnSpring wrote on 12/07/18 at 15:45:24:
thumperclone wrote on 12/07/18 at 15:25:42:
timmy we've been lying  to you  there is no santa claus

"...You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood."

you know you may be right
santa might take the don down

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:58:20

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Gosh! That would just be horrible!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.