Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Whats up with Goggle..... (Read 150 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Whats up with Goggle.....
12/05/18 at 15:15:36

Why is Google giving warnings of unsecured connections?
I have read up on some of it, and it appears any site you use that has a password, credit card info, etc, is earning this prompt....

I can use the same address on Explorer, and not get all this globally gook tech lingo egghead stuff.

Is this just another squeeze on dumb farts like me to "upgrade" to a better program?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Whats up with Goggle.....
Reply #1 - 12/05/18 at 19:58:25

Google is honoring the new browser industry standard, which is to warn you instantly when you go into known dangerous places on the web or into a place where suspicious web activity is sensed.   Pinging your machine for personal data that is not normally permitted certainly trips these triggers.   So does using an unsecured connection.

Your old MS Explorer that you have installed does not honor any of these new type "alert required" standards as either it can't sense what is going on (it is too out of date / dumb) or else it simply doesn't care.   Old MS Win 7 systems that used MS Explorer are both of these items ......

Using Win 7 and Explorer, you can and will innocently go into places that will gleefully strip your passwords, etc off your machine and YOU NEVER EVEN KNOW you were gang shagged by a pack of trolls.

The drill is to GET OUT OF THERE by the fastest absolute keyboard quick key method (shut down the browser or reboot the machine)  ----- do not click anything that comes from the web or respond to any screen messages, just GET OUT OF THERE ASAP.  

On an old Windows machine instantly do the Control-Alt-Delete key combo and select reboot or shutdown.  This breaks your web contact to where you currently are in an absolute fashion,  closes all your programs and reboots your OS.

Then upgrade your OS and your Browser to something that is fast, reliable and is always kept current.   Linux Mint Mate OS, Chrome and Firefox are the ones that I keep around.

Yes, Microsoft will use this as an excuse to tell you to go buy an expensive MS OS upgrade.   I say go load Linux Mint Mate instead and simply put out the minimal effort that Mint requires to learn how to use it -- much much cheaper and actually more secure and effort free compared to many other choices out there.

If you have old software or hardware that requires your old Windows OS, set Mint Mate up as a dual boot system and go do your browsing off of Linux Mint Mate.   Only boot into your old OS to do something that requires it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/06/18 at 07:10:43

No unusual warnings for me.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 12/06/18 at 08:03:03

Bless you my child...... I was hoping you would take pity upon me OT  Wink

OK, I think I got the gist of your advice, and a inkling to its why.....
I am just "gun shy" when it come to moving things around in my computer.

We use our computer for business, it gets a lot of traffic, and crashing it at my doings, with the verbal beating my wife would visit upon me, is worse than being called a IDIOT, on the politico board, by the resident idiots, themselves  Grin

One last question Sir, if I may.....
Am I way ahead of the game if I bite the bullet and learn (try) the new OS, as opposed to keeping the quickly diminishing "buggy whips" I know how to use?
I am thinking I am not availing myself to all the new advances, which could be beneficial to us, as the world evolves evermore technologically, yes?
Is there ever a "too much"......???
Like buying a product, with ALL the gadgets, you will never use?   Huh

Again, THANK YOU resident computer wizard  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 12/06/18 at 08:07:47

Serowbot wrote on 12/06/18 at 07:10:43:
No unusual warnings for me.

How much banking/business, if any, do you do online?
Gee, I do pretty much everything, bill paying, billing, etc, online.
Not sure if that is why I seem to be first in line to get all this new stuff, but its daunting, to say the least, arg.
I am glad I am getting old, as I don't think I can keep up, keeping up, much longer  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/06/18 at 08:35:45

Getting old and "fixed in your ways" is an issue with this computer stuff.

Chromebooks are getting a lot of nods and recommendations now-a-days for a lot of reasons, but one that plays clearest for our age group is that Chromebooks are simply "an awful lot of strange" in the eyes the old XP/Win 7 crew.

However, Chromebooks are old home week to the kids of today that grew up with them in the public school system.

Yes, you should try something more modern while you still have the flexibility and the desire to go try it.

Serobot, what are you using now-a-days?

« Last Edit: 12/09/18 at 00:57:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/06/18 at 08:51:13

I think your banking and bills are online whether you do them that way or not.
If you pay bills by mail, and bank in person, they are still online because the banks and utilities are all online...
(and they have a worse security track record than any of us!)... Grin

I now just assume that my info is out there,... and hope it's not worthy of theft.
Grin Grin Grin

Realistically,.. the security is beyond me. Huh

PS... OF, I'm still using Linux Mint... not perfect, but as good as anything else.
Wish I could understand all the "Command Prompt" and "root" stuff better.
Greek to me.
Plonking Luddite that I am.. Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 12/06/18 at 09:22:03

think your banking and bills are online whether you do them that way or not.

Sure enuff.......but I hope the breech is on their puter, not mine.....
Not that it makes any difference, I'm sure, other than a apology from them  Angry

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 12/06/18 at 17:20:25

Serowbot wrote on 12/06/18 at 08:51:13:
PS... OF, I'm still using Linux Mint... not perfect, but as good as anything else.
Wish I could understand all the "Command Prompt" and "root" stuff better.
Greek to me.
Plonking Luddite that I am.. Huh

I love cutting and pasting a complex chain of Linux command line stuff from a supporting Linux expert into my Linux terminal and entering my root password and hitting enter ...... and watching whole worlds of stuff I do not have a clue what it is actually doing go to town and FIX stuff.

Once upon a time, a Brother Printer expert posted a command line string thingie to get the Brother HL-L2305W to set up all the correct values so it would run on Linux Mint.  It was long, and amazing and it just worked ....... until my dual boot's Win 10 spring update went and BROKE it about a year later, the MS sorry bastards.

Anyhow, the worm is turning and is now eating its own tail, so to speak .....

https://liliputing.com/2018/12/future-versions-of-microsoft-edge-web-browser-...

There was a time when government regulators took action against Microsoft for bundling its Internet Explorer web browser with Windows, giving the browser an unfair advantage over the competition.

These days Microsoft has a hard time convincing users to use its web browser to do anything more than download Firefox or Chrome.

So after switching building a new browser from the ground up for Windows 10 and still failing to gain traction for its new Edge browser with the EdgeHTML rendering engine, Microsoft is trying something new. The company will continue to offer a web browser called Edge. But in the future it will be based on Google’s open source Chromium project.

The announcement comes a few days after a report started making the rounds suggesting that Microsoft would give up on EdgeHTML. But now that Microsoft has confirmed the news, here’s what we know:

The Edge brand isn’t going away. But instead of relying on proprietary code, Microsoft will build Edge on top of Google’s open source browser.

Microsoft also plans to contribute to the Chromium project, so features and enhancements from Microsoft developers could end up in Chrome, Opera, or other browsers that are based on Chromium.

Moving to Chromium may also help Microsoft build a version of Edge that will be able to run on MacOS.

Another interesting thing is that Microsoft says it plans to use its expertise to ensure that legacy websites that currently only support Internet Explorer should work in Chromium-based versions of Edge. If the code that makes that possible goes upstream, that could allow you to access those sites using Chrome and other browsers as well.

Does this mean Edge is about to turn into a Chrome clone? Probably not. While the rendering engine and core code will be based on Google’s open source browser project, it’s likely Microsoft will continue to build a unique user interface and feature set on top of Chromium.

For example, Edge currently has built-in support for eBooks and PDF files, a simplified reading mode, an offline dictionary, and many other features. It’s likely that some or all of them will be available in the new Chromium-based version.

The move to Chromium is good news for web developers and users in a lot of ways, since it means another major browser will support existing web standards. Folks who value more competition may be unimpressed though — Opera already gave up development of its Presto rendering engine, which means that there are only really a few choices now: Gecko (Firefox), WebKit (Safari), and Blink (a fork of WebKit used by Chromium).

Microsoft says a preview version of its new Chromium-based Edge web browser should be available in early 2019.

Rumors behind a Chromium OS based Windows Lite version are gaining support details now, it seems that MS is indeed tired of fighting against Chromebooks and wants to join them rather than fight them, thus keeping MS going as a company ......

==================================================

Intel, not so much on the being able to continue out into the future thing, not so far anyway.   Too too many very aggressive competitors are coming out of cell phone space swinging some very sharp ARM sickles trying to cut Intel off at the knees (i.e. take over the low end market) .....

https://liliputing.com/2018/12/qualcomm-unveils-7nm-snapdragon-8cx-ship-for-w...

Qualcomm unveils 7nm Snapdragon 8cx ship for Windows PCs

The first Windows 10 PCs to ship with ARM processors featured Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 processor. It was one of the fastest smartphone chips when it hit the streets in 2017, but it was still pretty pokey by Windows PC standards.

The second crop of Windows on ARM PCs are just starting to hit the streets, and they feature the chip maker’s Snapdragon 850 processor. Qualcomm says the processor, which is basically a souped up version of the Snapdragon 845 smartphone chip, offers a 30 percent performance boost.

But next year the company plans to launch its first processor designed specifically for Windows PCs. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx isn’t a modified smartphone chip. The company says the 7 watt, octa-core processor will offer performance that’s on par with a 15 watt Intel U-series laptop processor.

We’ll probably have to wait a little while to truly put that claim to the test — Qualcomm says it’s sampling the chip now, but it won’t show up in consumer devices until the third quarter of 2019.

And even then it’ll probably only be true for apps that are natively compiled for ARM architecture. Emulating ARM architecture to run Win32/x86 apps adds a little overhead.

Still, if Qualcomm comes anywhere near delivering on its promise, it could really shake up the PC chip space.

Right now that market is dominated by Intel, although over the past year or two AMD has produced some of its most competitive chips in years, leading to a growing number of AMD-powered desktop and laptop computers on the market.

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chips probably won’t compete with AMD’s high-power “Threadripper” or Intel’s X-series chips anytime soon. But the Snapdragon 8cx will consume less power than its rivals, potentially offering longer battery life and support for thin, light, and fanless designs.

The chip also featured integrated support for 2Gbps 4G LTE networks.

Here’s a run-down of what we know so far about the Snapdragon 8cx:

7nm
8 x Kryo 495 CPU cores
Adreno 680 graphics
Support for up to 16GB of LPDDR4x 2133 MHz RAM
Dual Spectra 390 image signal processors
Support for 32 MP single camera or dual 16MP cameras
Qualcomm X24 LTE modem
Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ fast charging support
USB 3.1 Gen 2 support

Qualcomm says the new GPU offers twice the performance of the GPU in the Snapdragon 850 chip, as well as 60 percent better power efficiency. It can support up to two 4K HDR displays at once.

« Last Edit: 12/09/18 at 00:59:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/07/18 at 06:44:41

"Sure enuff.......but I hope the breech is on their puter, not mine.....
Not that it makes any difference, I'm sure, other than a apology from them"

I no longer do any online banking after assisting a business associate with a court case where he sued a bank for wire-transferring $92,000 US to an account in the Philippines.  

He lost that judgment because  he could not prove that the personal information used to request the transfer was not compromised from his home computer.  A number of members here can verify I will send cash only.  Now I no longer carry a debit card, credit card etc. that is connected to my primary account, any compromise will have to come from their end.  

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 12/07/18 at 08:37:10

Eegore wrote on 12/07/18 at 06:44:41:
"Sure enuff.......but I hope the breech is on their puter, not mine.....
Not that it makes any difference, I'm sure, other than a apology from them"

I no longer do any online banking after assisting a business associate with a court case where he sued a bank for wire-transferring $92,000 US to an account in the Philippines.  

He lost that judgment because  he could not prove that the personal information used to request the transfer was not compromised from his home computer.  A number of members here can verify I will send cash only.  Now I no longer carry a debit card, credit card etc. that is connected to my primary account, any compromise will have to come from their end.  

Interesting, and TIMELY post, thanks!

Yesterday I tried to move a nice sum of money (for me anyway) from a personal investment account I had at Boeing, to a more local institution (bank) so I could have it more readily available to play with.

This account @ Boeing is well over 100 billion strong (all investors) YET, this bank would not accept a wire (electronic) transfer of any kind, only a physical check made out to them, as a FOB for me.....geez.

I use to be able to shift funds with routing and account numbers, not anymore.....AND, I think you just explained the WHY to me  Wink

Makes sense.
I gave up on debit cards years as I got dinged by Security Pacific Bank when "NO" receipts were available, "Do you still want to proceed with this transaction?"
I withdrew 100 bucks, but only got four 20's.....
They would not fix/adjust my account. I am glad it was only 20 bucks, a cheap lesson.

My credit card, when used, tells my computer AND my phone, a transaction has just taken place on that account.....LOVE IT.
I use only one card, period, and pay its balance from a separate savings account that is dedicated only to this card, in case this info gets stolen via a transaction they will get very little, as I, AGAIN, use my computer to put in funds when I pay the card each month.....
It sounds like a lot of work, but its not.
I go to pay my card on the computer, put the money into that account, pay it on the computer, and done for another 30 days of "buying" in a minute or two....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/07/18 at 09:53:00

I've repaired office equipment and I am always nervous when withdrawing cash. I've wondered what happens if the machine ever jams or shorts me. I don't walk away or even turn away before I count it in view of the camera.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 12/07/18 at 10:18:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/07/18 at 09:53:00:
I've repaired office equipment and I am always nervous when withdrawing cash. I've wondered what happens if the machine ever jams or shorts me. I don't walk away or even turn away before I count it in view of the camera.

What camera?  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/07/18 at 12:17:20

I assume there is a camera.
I haven't stood there and studied, but surely there is some kinda camera,, but hopefully not seeing the code entry.
I'm probably being much too hopeful that I would be reimbursed should the blasted thing rip me off.
You're right, there is no way there is a camera that could see me count the cash and not see the pin entry.

I wasn't thinking it through.
I just did what I hoped would help.
I'm gonna go in the bank and ask them what they do if the machine screws someone.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 12/07/18 at 13:27:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/07/18 at 12:17:20:
I assume there is a camera.
I haven't stood there and studied, but surely there is some kinda camera,, but hopefully not seeing the code entry.
I'm probably being much too hopeful that I would be reimbursed should the blasted thing rip me off.
You're right, there is no way there is a camera that could see me count the cash and not see the pin entry.

I wasn't thinking it through.
I just did what I hoped would help.
I'm gonna go in the bank and ask them what they do if the machine screws someone.

Naivety can be beneficial from us assuming wrongly, however, first rule of business, sadly, in our litigating world, is to never admit openly of wrong....
Oh, THAT camera, its been broken and awaiting repairs for weeks, sorry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:47:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Whats up with Goggle.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.