WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Air Filter Flow Test
Reply #46 - 01/10/19 at 15:01:34

At this point, I don't have a setup to test how well an element traps dirt.  I did take swipes on the interior of my airbox (downstream of the element).  The K&N wasn't letting any dirt get past.  With the Uni Pod, I would have to either remove the airbox and run it for a thousand miles or so, then take swipes on the interior of the carburetor, or set up some sort of dust generator.  I'm not planning to do that since I intend to keep the airbox, primarily for noise reduction, but I also feel it's a good setup that provides a plenum for air storage and also a longer intake tract from the inlet valves to the end of the hose connection at the airbox.  So, we must resort to asking the current users of the Uni Pod to comment on how well it keeps the crud out.  Lancer & Dave, how well does your Uni trap dirt?

At this point, I guess what I should do is see if I can get a little more out of the modified airbox.  I have some ideas but am concerned about noise.  Mine is currently pretty quiet so I guess I could live with a bit more racket.  I just can't sit by and let the Uni Pod garner all the glory.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 01/10/19 at 15:09:30

I have to believe that the oiled foam filters trap dirt really well.  Every dirt bike I ever owned used an oiled foam filter.....and I have ridden in horribly dusty conditions, and never had any excessive wear.

The 250 Ninja also has an oiled foam filter.....from the factory.

It is not surprising that the UNI flows well.  The oil doesn't block the air passages and trap the dirt the same way a paper filter does - but as the air winds it's way through the twists and curves in the foam, the dirt bumps into the surface of the passages and gets trapped in the oily surfaces.  Eventually the dirt covers the oily surfaces....and the filter needs to be washed and re-oiled to remain effective.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 01/10/19 at 21:37:04

Dave, I have to agree with your assumption based on dirt bike application, but have you ever inspected your carburetor inlet when you removed the pod filter, or taken swipes to check on how well it functions?  That would provide some concrete evidence that it does its job.  I'm sure it works well but some sort of definitive evidence would be good to corroborate the assumption.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 06:10:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Filter Flow Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.