Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: WOW...  this is ugly.
Reply #15 - 11/28/18 at 18:01:27

Ray,
Are we talking about the jack screw?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #16 - 11/28/18 at 18:04:00

Ray,
You are also preaching to the choir about Boeing.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 11/28/18 at 18:30:25

raydawg wrote on 11/28/18 at 16:48:02:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/28/18 at 14:36:29:
The pilot is ultimately in control.  :'(

Or he's just a glorified passenger.
Tesla, with wings.

Not even close Jog.
You can never know the variables that come at you once you close the doors and taxi away, never.
Sully was a GREAT example re: human factor.
IA, will never be "human" you just have to wrap EVERYTHING around that understanding, computers do NOT reasoning with "senses"  

Okay, maybe I was expecting too much.

If the pilot ISN'T ultimately THE THING that is in control

He's no more than a passenger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #18 - 11/28/18 at 19:07:10

JOG,
Ask airbus. they definitely will not have an answer.

Far too many airbus aircraft have been lost under mysterious circumstances. They are definitely a different animal. Aircraft-wise!!! :'(

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #19 - 11/28/18 at 19:18:37

By the way, anybody never have their computer "crash". I rest my case on this issue.

It is beyond my comprehension that manufacturers do not have a fail safe mode where the pilot is flying the aircraft and not under the supervision of the engineers who designed it.

I'm fully aware of the fact that no human pilot can fly as well as a computer. BUT WHAT HAPPENS IF. Smiley

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 11/28/18 at 20:34:29

norm92de wrote on 11/28/18 at 18:01:27:
Ray,
Are we talking about the jack screw?

Yep.....

When you have the opinion that you are infallible, coupled that with engineering and management, it’s a fatal attraction between two massive egos.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 11/29/18 at 05:43:56

norm92de wrote on 11/28/18 at 19:18:37:
By the way, anybody never have their computer "crash".

I'm with Norm on this one.  Nearly every week my phone, computer, printer, scanner or server suffers some little issue that stops the normal flow of work.  Sometimes it only takes a "re-boot" to get things back on track - don't suppose a reboot is possible while in flight....or on the takeoff or landing.

I am pretty sure I never will be the pilot on one of these big rigs - but do I want to be a passenger? Shocked  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 11/29/18 at 05:57:05

I wanted to adjust the idle on the car.
Hunted the throttle cable.
Nope.
It's electronic.

I don't like That.
I sure don't like an airplane that doesn't have mechanical connections between the yoke and ailerons, elevator and rudder. Redundancy bedammed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #23 - 11/29/18 at 08:34:14

Look guys, Boeing is on the cutting edge of technology......
How to utilize it, to maximize profit.
The companies goal is NOT, to employ MORE people, but less, under the popular and current reasoning of environmentalism.
Where less, is more......

A machine can do, what people do, for way less, WITHOUT all the other necessities a human needs in order to be productive.

For example: Transportation to/from work, and a place to park. Restrooms, and other considerations built into the manufacturing facilities.
Housing, and all of its supporting infrastructure to make living possible, etc.
All of this cost the municipalities revenue, WHICH, they gather through taxes on businesses, etc.

A machine.....very little.
No healthcare, vacations, sick days, working hours restrictions, attitudes.....etc.

I wonder if Henry Ford ever even considered, way back when he automatized his thinking........
That man, under his own guise, held his destiny, and demise, within the grip of his own mortality.

Think of it like this, perhaps it frames the perplexity of morality, in a more obvious conflict within resolutions/riddles, of reasoning, which often provides motivation.

Man has 3 basic instincts.
Self-Preservation.
Sexual Instinct.
Social Instinct.

Look at all 3.
To achieve those and satisfy those instincts, you need a stable enviroment upon which to live.
Man, as he "evolves" via reasoning, perceives threats upon his "instincts".
So, he builds weapons to defend himself, which CAN"T, in all reality, because what he did, in effect, just created a BIGGER threat, to his instincts, in the hands of others.....

Do you see what I am trying to connect?

Man's greatest asset is his heart, when he uses it to help others, FIRST.
I know it seems extremely simplistic, but that is only because man has spent untold energy on scripting a different resolution to achieving satisfaction with our instincts.

Again, you think its folly to believe man will be implanted with a chip, I think your instincts are jaded.
Machines will want humans to be like them, just like all the infighting and division, we are witnessing in the world today, based on (a) promoted beliefs....
Except machines will have no heart, no soul, no morality, but one goal, absolutely.....

When a "plane crash" and the lives lost, are nothing more than research fodder, collateral damage, at advancing toward a goal that will make our world more perfect.....
We have already enter that air space, sadly  Embarrassed

I invite you to correct my thinking, if you can...... 

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #24 - 11/29/18 at 08:36:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/29/18 at 05:57:05:
Nope.
It's electronic.

I don't like That.
I sure don't like an airplane that doesn't have mechanical connections between the yoke and ailerons, elevator and rudder. Redundancy bedammed.

They DO Jog.....
Even the 787 has wires ( minimal ) to maintain flight under loss of automated flight input.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #25 - 11/29/18 at 10:04:21

How many remeber reading "Fail Safe" by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 11/29/18 at 11:15:36

raydawg wrote on 11/29/18 at 08:36:17:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/29/18 at 05:57:05:
Nope.
It's electronic.

I don't like That.

They DO Jog.....
Even the 787 has wires ( minimal ) to maintain flight under loss of automated flight input.

So if they are strong enough to fight the control system, MAYBE they live?
No
Emergency Off
button so a computer maintains control, even though the Pilots are trying to wrest control away from it?

Is that what is happening?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #27 - 11/29/18 at 14:58:25

Is that what is happening?

Yes, and no.

You have to shut off the main breaker, not just a system.
The flight deck is littered with switches, and in duplicity for each pilot.
I would guess over 90% of them are NEVER touched, ever.

The E deck is even more boggling, AND cluttered, not a place you would want to have to search to find a problem/issue.
It is not readily accessible from the flight deck, you have to go through a hatch in the floor on most aircraft.....
However, a pilot would be lost in there anyway  Shocked
Use to be the job of a "flight engineer" but that job was eliminated decades ago in commercial flight, for PROFIT concerns.  Undecided    

Progress my boy, progress......
Just a little observation to how progress has become our norm....
I ask, "Who carries enough cash with them anymore, daily, to ascertain they can meet any need, if they may arise?"

Heck, you carry a chipped card, right?  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 11/29/18 at 17:35:58

If that was an answer, I didn't get it.
Yes
No.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #29 - 11/30/18 at 08:14:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/29/18 at 17:35:58:
If that was an answer, I didn't get it.
Yes
No.

Sorry...... I thought I did  Embarrassed

In this particular event, it seems they didn't know how to disarm the automation in total, only partially.....

Sorta like they rebooted their computer, it cleared the immediate problem, but didn't clear the hard-drive of the virus, so the computer would eventually default back to why you rebooted it in the first place.
The computer kept taking control of the aircraft, they wrested with it, rebooted, etc.....

Rumor at Boeing was always about in the future aircraft would be pilot less, all flown remotely through various programs.

Here is how they think Jog, AND, this aircraft is already in design.

One of the BIGGEST cost to building a air frame is structure limits, or limitations......
The lighter the aircraft, in weight, the easy it is to get airborne, fly, build, maintain, etc....
Different external, and internal forces are always working against the integrity of the "tube" that is pressurized for passenger travel.
You have to distribute these forces equally across the whole fuselage or you will expose it to premature fatigue and failure....
You with me?
Well because the market is competitive in nature, to attract fliers, they put in windows, for the passengers consideration to enjoy the view aloft, etc.
That window is in effect, is a breach, on "tube" and those forces I talked about now require even more distribution equally which now requires more "metal structure" to carry that breach.....
Imagine a "header" that spans a room you want opened, no "wall", or 2x4 wall stud to carry the vertical load, right.
If the span is greater than what "wood" can carry, you go with I-beam, HEAVY, yes.

Well, that is sorta like what it takes to accommodate a window in a fuselage.
So, you prolly have guessed by now, a commercial aircraft for passenger flight WITHOUT windows is coming soon.
In effect, a freighter with passengers as cargo.
You will have faux windows, that is how stupid they think folks are  Wink
Sorta like folk believing the nonsense politicians utter, eh  Grin        

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:41:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › WOW...  this is ugly.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.