raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
WOW...  this is ugly.
11/27/18 at 20:36:04

This is very troubling.
I won’t bias or taint anyone’s reading of this story, but I would sure appreciate what your general observation, feeling is based upon reading its contents......

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/world/asia/indonesia-lion-air-crash-.amp.html

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: WOW...  this is ugly.
Reply #1 - 11/27/18 at 21:33:27

Ray

I'll say it like this :   That  ,  "Drive by Wire" stuff is a "Step in the Wrong Direction" , to my way of thinking.

I can deal with electronic or HDI coil and  pick-up , and even mechinical injectors just fine ,  but , it seems just plain Stupid to let a computer run something your life depends on.

Give me my old Savage/S-40 for my "keeper bike" ,  The rest can come and go.
Fact is , I'd had the idea to buy a carb-ed (brainless) Harley before they are all gone.   Looking at one on Ebay now  Smiley.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 11/28/18 at 06:18:05

From a pilot's prospective, the historic difference between an Airbus and a Boeing airframe was that Airbus is FBW (fly-by-wire) and the Boeing was "direct" hydraulic control. An Airbus pilot makes requests of pitch, roll and yaw to the aircraft systems via traditional inputs (yoke and rudder) and the flight computers decide how to, or even if, the requests can be complied. Boeing pilots always felt as though they were flying the aircraft.

No more. MCAS is "augmenting" pilot input and makes it own choices as to trim and throttle settings. From what I have read, Lion Air pilots were not adequately trained on the new MCAS and as a result found themselves fighting with the aircraft computer for control of the aircraft.

If a pilot can't safely override the system, why have a flight crew on board? Oh, that is the plan.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 11/28/18 at 07:54:32

Gary, what I can’t understand at the moment, given all the problems with this aircraft just prior to taking it back up, was why does it seem no communication from the previous flight to crew to their experience with the aircraft, how they got the craft through the false data input and safely onto the ground.
This plane has wires, as a back up with the yoke and pedal control.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/28/18 at 08:23:31

MCAS must have been written by microsoft.
To fix the problem, turn off electricity.
Yeah, on a fly by wire system... turn off electricity.
There must've been a small note somewhere... 'and kiss your a$$ goodbye'

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 11/28/18 at 08:52:06

This plane should never have left the ground.
When you change out ant equipment that provides data to the flight controls without testing its functionality is suicide

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/28/18 at 12:25:05

This plane should never have left the factory.
Profit should never supersede safety.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 11/28/18 at 12:36:20

What happened to, what I call, the Jesus button? I have never flown an Airbus but have flown a 737. Everything I have flown has a disconnect button on the yoke that allows the pilot to be the only "pilot".
When the disconnect is pushed you are in control. Airbus on the other hand will not let the pilot have complete control.
When I learned to fly we always had "ATTITUDE PLUS POWER = PERFORMANCE" on the blackboard. Air France 447 pilots apparently were oblivious of this fact and ended up on the bottom of the Atlantic.
I am not familiar with the new Boings, maybe they have changed what I thought was part of Boing's core philosophy. The pilot is ultimately in control.  :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/28/18 at 14:36:29

The pilot is ultimately in control.  :'(

Or he's just a glorified passenger.
Tesla, with wings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 11/28/18 at 16:44:17

verslagen1 wrote on 11/28/18 at 12:25:05:
This plane should never have left the factory.
Profit should never supersede safety.

Buddy, the plane moves down the line in assembly regardless of production issues.
I watched it with my own eyes, shaking my head, as aircraft advanced toward the door, often out to flight line, with jobs uncompleted, and non conforming issues left hanging, as "milestones" trump everything else.....
I wish I could say otherwise, but I can't. I had to finish jobs out there in the weather, out of sequence, because of production faults totally out of my control.....
Yes, the $$$$ seems to be the deciding factor as why.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 11/28/18 at 16:48:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/28/18 at 14:36:29:
The pilot is ultimately in control.  :'(

Or he's just a glorified passenger.
Tesla, with wings.

Not even close Jog.
You can never know the variables that come at you once you close the doors and taxi away, never.
Sully was a GREAT example re: human factor.
IA, will never be "human" you just have to wrap EVERYTHING around that understanding, computers do NOT reasoning with "senses"  

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 11/28/18 at 16:49:10

norm92de wrote on 11/28/18 at 12:36:20:
What happened to, what I call, the Jesus button? I have never flown an Airbus but have flown a 737. Everything I have flown has a disconnect button on the yoke that allows the pilot to be the only "pilot".
When the disconnect is pushed you are in control. Airbus on the other hand will not let the pilot have complete control.
When I learned to fly we always had "ATTITUDE PLUS POWER = PERFORMANCE" on the blackboard. Air France 447 pilots apparently were oblivious of this fact and ended up on the bottom of the Atlantic.
I am not familiar with the new Boings, maybe they have changed what I thought was part of Boing's core philosophy. The pilot is ultimately in control.  :'(

I am not familiar with the new Boings, maybe they have changed what I thought was part of Boing's core philosophy.

McDonald Douglas.......nuff said.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 11/28/18 at 16:51:56

JOG,
In today's world maybe but it shouldn't be.
A lot of today's pilots can type 45 words a minute but can't fly worth a darn.
Computers fail. And then what. Look up Air France 447. That says it all. Three "experienced" pilots who flew their aircraft into the ocean because not one of them could analyze the problem. Any competent flight instructor would have saved the day.
That accident shook up the aviation training industry, however not enough has changed because the industry is on course, and financial factors rule.
Also, look up the very first Airbus crash. The poor Air France captain was thrown to the dogs for political and of course financial reasons. The bottom line, Airbus aircraft are flown from the ground. Boeing seems to be following on its heels., sadly. One thing is certain Newton's laws of motion are immutable and aircraft no matter how sophisticated still obey those rules.

Sorry for the rant but I feel very strongly about this issue as a pilot and instructor.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 11/28/18 at 17:04:05

Raydawg,
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment about McDonnell Douglas. :'(

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 11/28/18 at 17:34:10

norm92de wrote on 11/28/18 at 17:04:05:
Raydawg,
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment about McDonnell Douglas. :'(

MD80 ring a bell?

I got to Boeing about the time the old timers were packing it in.....
I heard the stuff from them directly, tho most of it flew over my head (no pun intended).
Guys who worked up the line, from shop floor, to level 4, 5, management,  predicted this new "leadership" from OUTSIDE Washington, would change how aircraft were made.

It is sad, Boeing IS...... the coke of soft drinks.
When you say airplane, you think of Boeing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:29:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › WOW...  this is ugly.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.