Quality......... (Read 50 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Quality.........
11/15/18 at 08:43:26

Not sure how many of you have heard about the new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft that crashed in Indonesia a few weeks ago.
This plane was brand new.
It was built right along the line I was working before I retired.
The cause is tentatively been assigned to navigation/flight control failure on a new automatic warning system that takes over flight controls to AVOID a crash......
The pilots were not schooled prior to releasing the aircraft to the customers, cleared to fly commercially, that this KNOWN defect, might arise in flight, or how to address the false alarms and to keep control of the aircraft manually.....
This plane had already experienced the issue in the flights preceding the fatal one.
They replaced one of the senors, that supplied data to the program that DECIDED it needed to take evasive actions to save the flight....
How is that for AI?
The program/design is faulty, not the sensors, yet the plane is still flying.

Now, Boeing wants to get rid of the Quality Assurance Inspectors on the manufacturing floor, and allow the person who installs the systems, etc, on the aircraft, to inspect their own work.....

ITS CRAZY.

ITS INSANE.

And its all about profit.

I saw all this unfolding.
I knew this was going to happen.
I foretold many a catastrophe was coming involving the 737 line.

It makes me sick, but the mentality I witnessed was these folks believe they are infallible...... none of us are.  

Of course I DO NOT know all of the details, and I am merely ranting, but is this a precursor to the thinking that we can design fool proof artificial intelligence?
When "man" is wrong, hopefully he is guided by his morality, and not his PRIDE, in admitting wrong, thus finding a resolve and repair.....
A machine will use what, if a perplexing issues arises.....maximized profit?     

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
danimule
YaBB Newbies

Oakland, California
Re: Quality.........
Reply #1 - 11/15/18 at 09:35:48

raydawg wrote on 11/15/18 at 08:43:26:
ITS CRAZY.

ITS INSANE.

And its all about profit.

I saw all this unfolding.
I knew this was going to happen.
I foretold many a catastrophe was coming involving the 737 line.

It makes me sick, but the mentality I witnessed was these folks believe they are infallible...... none of us are.  

Of course I DO NOT know all of the details, and I am merely ranting, but is this a precursor to the thinking that we can design fool proof artificial intelligence?
When "man" is wrong, hopefully he is guided by his morality, and not his PRIDE, in admitting wrong, thus finding a resolve and repair.....
A machine will use what, if a perplexing issues arises.....maximized profit?     

---

I completely agree raydawg. I work in software and the mad rush to let computers make all the decisions is bad when you give them faulty and assumptive rules to follow that can't possibly account for every condition. It's going to permeate everything. The justice system, banking, healthcare, and more.

"The computer told me X so it is the way it is."

ugh.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 11/15/18 at 09:56:37

Remember the old "Fail Safe" book from the sixties, when New York and Moscow had to be destroyed, because of a small transistor failure.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
danimule
YaBB Newbies

Oakland, California
Reply #3 - 11/15/18 at 10:24:08

jcstokes wrote on 11/15/18 at 09:56:37:
Remember the old "Fail Safe" book from the sixties, when New York and Moscow had to be destroyed, because of a small transistor failure.

---

I don't, but now I have something else to read. Thanks!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 11/15/18 at 10:31:59

danimule wrote on 11/15/18 at 10:24:08:
jcstokes wrote on 11/15/18 at 09:56:37:

---

I don't, but now I have something else to read. Thanks!

It's also a very good Sidney Lumet movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058083/. It's been a while since I've seen it but I liked it almost as I liked the book and almost never happens.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 11/15/18 at 10:44:57

Exactly.......

rush to let computers make all the decisions is bad when you give them faulty and assumptive rules to follow that can't possibly account for every condition.

To “know” is the fallacy to all this technology, or it would NOT even be under study, but a fact after having already having surpassed that threshold....from unknown, to known.
How do you factor in the, unknown ?

You can’t.....it is at best, a educated guess.

Advance this mindset of technological perfection to a point where we default to its ability to decide.... freedom.  Embarrassed

Do you even grasp the gravity of such?

Death of ANYTHING is final, when it comes to mankind.
Who, or what, are you willing to surrender that to?

Geez, I am starting to scare myself  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/15/18 at 11:45:17

Dive, Dive, Dive is okay.
On submarines.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 02:47:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Quality.........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.