Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
camsahft compatibility for replacement (Read 98 times)
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

camsahft compatibility for replacement
11/12/18 at 09:50:48

I need to change the camshaft on my 1987. i'm not sure if those have changed over the years. Should i get one from within a specific year range? or can someone tell me which years match for sure? I'm trying to avoid spending a lot of $$ on a brand new one, but i want to know if, for example a 2003 camshaft would fit, or which one would, as some of them show different part numbers on BikeBandit. Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: camsahft compatibility for replacement
Reply #1 - 11/12/18 at 11:22:36

The stock camshaft has not changed that I am aware of....it fits all years.  I don't know why the part number would be different.

The rockers changed somewhere around 2005 - but are interchangeable.  The later rockers have a hardened pad on them, the early ones don't.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/12/18 at 12:43:52

What happened to your cam?
Probably be a good idea to really inspect the lifters.
Better cam profiles are available on this forum.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/13/18 at 01:08:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/12/18 at 12:43:52:
What happened to your cam?

I've had to change the rocker arms twice already at around 30K and 40K milles. I'm checking to see if there's a lubrication issue, but by now the cam lobes look worn down too

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/13/18 at 02:33:54

Do you let it warm up, idling, on the sidestand?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/13/18 at 04:15:56

If you are wearing out both rockers...something is not oiling correctly or you are using an oil without an adequate amount of ZDDP.

What oil are you using?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 11/13/18 at 05:19:54

Or it maybe better to replace both the rockers and the cam at the same time, old rockers may damage a new cam, new rockers maybe damaged by an old cam?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/13/18 at 06:17:34

batman wrote on 11/13/18 at 05:19:54:
Or it maybe better to replace both the rockers and the cam at the same time, old rockers may damage a new cam, new rockers maybe damaged by an old cam?

If there is visible damage/wear on either the cam lobes &/or bearing surfaces and the rockers, then both should be changed.  
You can run them for a while but once damage is visible the rate of wear/damage increases substantially.
Better to bite the bullet as soon as possible.  Being cold weather is upon us and riding has ceased or is severely limited in most areas....yep.

A new set of rockers will run $100, which is less than Hard Welding them at Webcam.  A new stock cam is a lot but there are some pretty good used ones on eBay for $150-200.  If you are looking for a used cam be VERY careful to get really good photos that you can expand to see every tiny detail of them, lobes & especially bearing surfaces.  
Lobes can be fixed without crazy expense, but bearing surfaces add so much to the repair cost that it is beyond the cost/return benefit.
I had Webcam repair a cam with just 1 damaged bearing surface when I sent it in for Hard Welding the cam lobes and my cost for that was about $350 if I remember correctly.  It was substantial.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 11/14/18 at 10:47:50

Manny87, you might consider a 1995 or earlier DR650 cam.  It costs $168.  Its been working good for me but there are some issues with oil holes.  So far, the oil holes have not presented any problems.  I did a post on that cam awhile back.  It's titled DR650 Cam Evaluation.  You can find it on page 3 of this section (Rubber Side Up).  Sorry but I just don't have the skills to paste in an active link but you can try copy and paste into browser.

suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1525327311/0

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 11/15/18 at 07:32:41

And if you decide to replace the rocker arms while replacing the cam ( I would) order them for a later year S-40  as they came from the factory with hardened faces on the bearing surfaces after about 2005 ?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 09:08:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › camsahft compatibility for replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.