Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Curtiss unveils its 'Zeus' electric motorcycles (Read 95 times)
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Curtiss unveils its 'Zeus' electric motorcycles
11/07/18 at 09:55:00

This looks like it's going to be a trend,

https://www.techspot.com/news/77293-curtiss-unveils-zeus-electric-motorbikes-...

Call me a dino., but I LIKE the smell, sound and feel of a GAS engine!
I have rode a E-bike, and think it's fine for getting around for the casual shopper, student, or for doing errands. But for a serious bike rider it's nothing.
Same for a M/C rider. Charging stations at the KSL? I don't think so.
Can't get anywhere close to a 1,000 mile day, but the snowflakes couldn't handle that anyway. ( can't get that far from Mommy's cooking, and might get sweaty or dirty )

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Curtiss unveils its 'Zeus' electric motorcycle
Reply #1 - 11/07/18 at 11:11:50

I understand and relate to everything you're saying
BUT
The changing attitudes and demographics could Be the Driving Force that creates the market for the Buzz Kill scooters that might appeal to the people who are coming of age.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/07/18 at 12:11:34

Quote:
With the updated versions of the Zeus prototype, Curtiss is looking to deliver a range of 280 miles, 145 foot-pounds of torque, and a 0 – 60 time of just 2.1 seconds, thanks to its 140Kw motor. That acceleration puts it close to Tesla’s $200,000 Roadster, which it says will be the “fastest production car ever,” boasting a 0 – 60 time of just 1.9 seconds.

As a commuter, that is 1 charge a week for me.
I would want a trunk rather than open space in the frame.
They could tone down the power for mileage, I'd go for it provided it didn't take a mint to purchase.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/07/18 at 12:25:57

I'd Still want a big speaker belching out
BRAAHHH

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 11/07/18 at 15:07:42

Wow , 0 to 60 in 2.1 sec.   Will the rear tire hold that much traction ?   or  Will the butt to seat connection hold-together for that kind of acceleration ?

Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 11/07/18 at 15:14:22

I look forward to affordable electric vehicles, cars and bikes. They've conquered range, now it's time to address and improve charge times. That will require transformative or disruptive technology.

That Curtis is a science project.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #6 - 11/07/18 at 15:26:27

The infrastructure for electric vehicles is still lacking. Can't go to the corner station and refill your fuel in a couple minutes. Might be different if they standardize batteries and you just swap 'em. Like your grill gas. Until then they just aren't convenient for things like cross country travel. Will probably hit a small commuter market. But us old motorcycle riders probably won't swap over anytime soon. Possibly as a second bike. But price may be prohibitive of that.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/07/18 at 17:14:03

GOF wrote on 11/07/18 at 15:26:27:
The infrastructure for electric vehicles is still lacking. Can't go to the corner station and refill your fuel in a couple minutes. Might be different if they standardize batteries and you just swap 'em.

When you buy a battery powered drill, you get two batteries and they are a snap-in to swap.  If you could have one battery at home and the other one at the office....you could just swap as needed (or does that actually require 3 batteries?).  Two would work as long as you had the needed down time on one end of the commute to/from work.

The Zeus aint' my style........

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 11/07/18 at 21:25:55

There is a couple of problems, the first being purchase price,(  usually the difference between a gas  /electric  is enough to buy fuel for the gas version for a few years,  the second battery longevity, and replacement /labor cost.  third is resale price ( who would buy a bike who's battery pack is about to play out? Who will buy a new battery pack in order to sell a bike?)  If your only charging station is home, then 280 miles puts you on a 140 mile leash.  I'll pass!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #9 - 11/08/18 at 08:37:09

Dave wrote on 11/07/18 at 17:14:03:
GOF wrote on 11/07/18 at 15:26:27:
The infrastructure for electric vehicles is still lacking. Can't go to the corner station and refill your fuel in a couple minutes. Might be different if they standardize batteries and you just swap 'em.

When you buy a battery powered drill, you get two batteries and they are a snap-in to swap.  If you could have one battery at home and the other one at the office....you could just swap as needed (or does that actually require 3 batteries?).  Two would work as long as you had the needed down time on one end of the commute to/from work.

The Zeus aint' my style........

Still makes them a commuter vehicle. Until you can go someplace else and get a fast recharge you are limited in where you can go.

Not my style either.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #10 - 11/08/18 at 08:39:31

batman wrote on 11/07/18 at 21:25:55:
There is a couple of problems, the first being purchase price,(  usually the difference between a gas  /electric  is enough to buy fuel for the gas version for a few years,  the second battery longevity, and replacement /labor cost.  third is resale price ( who would buy a bike who's battery pack is about to play out? Who will buy a new battery pack in order to sell a bike?)  If your only charging station is home, then 280 miles puts you on a 140 mile leash.  I'll pass!

280 under ideal conditions. You'll want to leave a healthy margin for reserve.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/08/18 at 09:26:24

They could provide a flexible solar panel that you could deploy while you were taking a break.
The question would be how much would you need and how fast would it charge.
Charging stations are now available at wally world.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 11/08/18 at 10:39:48

You mean a solar panel the size of a billboard ?  Or a week long break? besides,we don't all live in sunny L.A.  Does anyone know the voltage or the amperage needed to recharge one of these bikes? When charging do the lights dim in your house or does your electric bill double?

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #13 - 11/08/18 at 11:17:02

Charging stations are available lots of places.  But they are not available everywhere. And they aren't, as far as I know, like filling your gas tank. Takes an extended time. Depending on battery, state of charge, charging system, and other things I am sure. According to Google a Nissan Leaf takes 4hrs to charge from 'empty' with the home charging system. Range of a leaf is said to be 151 miles. Even if commercial charging cuts the time in half and is available along your way would you want to stop for two hours every 150 miles? No, in order to be a viable replacement to gasoline electric vehicles will have to become as convenient and cost effective as fossil fueled vehicles. Not there yet. But one day maybe.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 11/08/18 at 17:23:18

I believe charging these cars /bikes will prove to be a no win ,just as fuel from corn is , the electric needed to charge these has to be changed from AC to DC current ,that alone suffers nearly a 25% loss (heat) in the process.  where is that power coming from on a large scale ? Is your backyard full of solar panels? do you own a windmill? hydro power? ,Then you've gained nothing ,new power plants will have to be built, If you think that won't drive the cost of electricity up, or reduce pollution , your mistaken.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 08:09:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Curtiss unveils its 'Zeus' electric motorcycles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.