Send Topic Print
I bought a new 2006 (Read 387 times)
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I bought a new 2006
11/06/18 at 17:17:45

Well almost new. It has 256 miles on it. It has been sitting for 11 years and I am in the process of draining and cleaning. Carb must be rebuilt. They didn’t drain the gas out of it. I have a new battery of course and just changed the oil and filter. I have ordered a carb kit that should arrive in a few days. Are there some things I should check into on a bike that Has been sitting this long? There is a good bit of corrosion on the chromed parts. I am not to concerned about it because my intention is to do a bobber out of it. So most of the corroded bits will be removed or painted. When I am allowed to post a picture of the carb I will just so you can all be aghast at how nasty it was inside.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I bought a new 2006
Reply #1 - 11/06/18 at 17:32:52

Fog the cylinder
Spin the motor over with the plug out.

Get oil circulation up
Then start it
Probably should put a Raptor Petcock on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/06/18 at 17:36:06

Yes the raptor is in my plan

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #3 - 11/06/18 at 17:59:09

Tires and tubes might be a good idea.
And fresh brake fluid.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/06/18 at 19:21:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/18 at 17:32:52:
Fog the cylinder
Spin the motor over with the plug out.

Get oil circulation up
Then start it
Probably should put a Raptor Petcock on.

What JOG said.  When you changed the oil and filter......you now have a dry filter and it will take some time before the oil pump can pump oil into the filter.....and oil will begin to flow to the upper end.  The cam/rockers and piston/cylinder should be oiled before you attempt to start the engine.  Remove the spark plug and spray Sta-Bil fogging oil into the cylinder, remove the front valve inspection cap and use a pump oil can or bottle with a small tube to get oil back onto the cam and rockers.  With the spark plug removed, spin the engine over with the starter for 15 seconds to get the oil into the filter and the upper end oil system (You could also remove the left timing cover port and use a 17mm socket and a drill to spin the engine over.  Absolutely do not just start the engine with a dry cylinder and oil filter......you could easily score the cylinder or damage the cam bearings or rockers.

When I get a used bike that hasn't run for a while - I never change the oil and filter until it will start and run.  Having old dirty oil flowing is better than not having any oil flowing through the engine while the oil filter housing gets the air purged out.

And I would get it running before I buy new tires - but you really don't want to do much riding on 12 year old tires.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 11/06/18 at 20:20:16

Everyone buys a rebuild kit? why? Do you think the carb parts wear out in 256 miles? I'd just clean the carb. If you use the rebuild kit be very sure to check the jet sizes ,before swapping ( they're  on the base of the jets) the jets that come with some of the kits are undersized .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/06/18 at 20:33:47

Definitely, just clean it.
Do the least amount of diddling with it to get it Running.
Don't cut corners on getting the engine safely lubed.
Just avoid working on places where you Could insert a problem.
Touch a few places and get stuff outta sorts and you can get in trouble.
Once you have it running, then you can mess around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/07/18 at 05:19:35

The carb was really gummed up bad. Never seen one so bad. It might be over kill but MEH, it was $23 for the kit. I did tear the gasket getting to off. The tires LOOK ok but it is my intention to change them soon.
And I will go buy some StayBil.

IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/07/18 at 17:37:28

batman wrote on 11/06/18 at 20:20:16:
Everyone buys a rebuild kit? why? Do you think the carb parts wear out in 256 miles? I'd just clean the carb. If you use the rebuild kit be very sure to check the jet sizes ,before swapping ( they're  on the base of the jets) the jets that come with some of the kits are undersized .

You were correct, the jets that came with the kit were smaller. I used the parts I needed and put the old jets back in.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #9 - 11/08/18 at 22:24:59

I bought a 2006 that was first registered in 2012 and only had 2800kms on it when I bought it 4 months ago .
Putting Shinko 230 tyres on it 140/90 -15 rear and 100/90-19 front made the bike handle and ride much better. The original IRC Tyres were hard.
Changing the muffler for a Harley Dyna and doing the carb mods on this site to suit made it run much better also. No more loud afterfiring and smoother throttle response.

Hiko   IP Logged
Zook
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/09/18 at 06:02:10

Success! I got it running. I got real good at taking of the carb and putting back on before I found all the problems. Including a hole in the float bowl from somebody tapping on it I bet. I am a gold smith and I have a laser welder so it was no problem to fill the hole. Stuck floats, plugged jets, plugged up fuel filter, damaged gasket. The last one is on me, but it was very fragil. I got the title transferred and a temporary tag. Now I just have to put it the rest of the way back together and get it inspected so I can get a permanent tag. Then the modifications can begin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/09/18 at 07:50:31

. I am a gold smith and I have a laser welder..

We've had an astronaut, dentist, all kindsa people, but nobody with a laser welder,, or goldsmith,
Or anyone who could fix anything busted on the carburetor.
Frikken right On.

IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #12 - 11/09/18 at 17:33:16

Respect!  Shocked

Hiko   IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #13 - 11/10/18 at 03:32:28

Good success on getting it running!

One thing to note if any one is going to do the same thing with spinning the motor over with the starter with the spark plug out. You may want to put the spark plug in it's cap and  ground the spark plug to the motor so it can spark by itself. There are some electronic ignitions out there that are sensitive to damage if they have no spark plug load.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 11/10/18 at 09:03:36

Or you could just take off the left side cover and unplug the TCI box. No power to the box,no spark , no damage. Its good to do if you have the  key in the on position ,say for checking turn signal etc. ,without starting the bike for any length of time, as this can burn out the TCI .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 01:49:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I bought a new 2006

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.