Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting a title for an untitled frame (Read 58 times)
wordet11

Athens, Ohio
Getting a title for an untitled frame
11/06/18 at 06:38:28

So I have a couple Savage's. One of them came with a parts bike with no title. I would like to use this frame if I can, but it has been through multiple owners since it was last titled. My question is, does anyone know how to acquire a title in a situation like this? I am in Ohio and I believe that it was last titled in Ohio. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Getting a title for an untitled frame
Reply #1 - 11/06/18 at 06:43:43

All states have different regulations - in KY it is nearly impossible to get a title if you can't get the previous owner to either sign the current one over to you, or have him file for a lost/replacement title.

You can do an internet search and find places like the one linked below.  They know the laws and the routine, sometimes you need to get a title in your name from a different state - then transfer it over to your state later on.  The fee isn't all that cheap - but may be worth it for you.
http://losttitlesolutions.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 11/06/18 at 07:06:55

Contact the Ohio DMV about getting the frame re registered. Most times it is almost impossible to get it done without a notarized bill of sale from the last real owner who would have a title or at least be on record as being the owner.
 A title search might help but they get expensive and you still might need to contact the original owner for a title.
 Maybe going through a towing or wrecker company to get a replacement title but then the towing company would have to take possession of the frame, store it for a period of time and sell it back to you with a newly issued title. That probably wouldn't be worth it for the time and paperwork involved for the towing company.  
 My advice is not to spend any time or money on rebuilding the frame till you have a clean title on hand.
 The fact that the frame doesn't have a title is a red flag to the DMV that it could be stolen.
 I don't mean to rain on your parade but I've been through trying to get a title for an untitled vehicle once and wasn't able to no matter what I tried.  
 Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/09/18 at 11:59:41

It can be done in Ohio, I've done it and it didn't cost anything other than the usual title fee.  First go to the BMV website and you will eventually find an address where you can inquire about obtaining a missing title, there is a form to fill out.  They check to see if the bike is registered or listed as stolen and will send you a letter a few weeks later.  All you have to do is take that letter, any documents you have proving ownership, a written out narrative of how you came to own it and why you don't have a title and give it to the clerk at the county judge's office.  They will look over your documents while you wait and make other suggestions, be nice and do as they ask which may require a little more documentation, and then submit it to the clerk.  The clerk submits it to the county judge with a recommendation and if he likes it he writes out an order for the title office and you get your title, it will read "court ordered".  They do it regularly for cars that are inherited and situations like that.

It helps if you know someone the in the county court house because they are basically just taking your word for proof of ownership.  But they probably figure who else would go to all that trouble for a used motorcycle.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:37:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting a title for an untitled frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.