Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carburetor diaphragm and slide (Read 190 times)
Ides Ov March
YaBB Newbies

Smurfy!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Carburetor diaphragm and slide
10/31/18 at 19:59:49

i have a question, I'm rebuilding my carb and rejetting first the first time ever. I found that my diaphragm/slide is cracked at the last plastic washer that seats in the carb. I know it needs to be replaced.  Can I use a used one? If so I'll post a WTB ad in the "market place", or should this strictly be new? I've only found one person in the UK selling them on eBay for $100! Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Lisa.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Carburetor diaphragm and slide
Reply #1 - 10/31/18 at 21:35:52

IF YOUR SPENDING THAT KIND  OF MONEY THEN WHY NOT UP GRADE TO A BETTER CARB. STYLE ?    CHECK THE MARKET PLACE OR EBAY.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 10/31/18 at 22:28:35

The only plastic washer(white and shaped like a donut) that I know of is the spacer on the needle, it can be replaced with two or three  #4 steel washers ,depending on your elevation, usually two if your between sea level and 1000ft. -three if your above 1000 ft.(cost about $2.00 )

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/01/18 at 03:54:27

I suppose it is possible to buy a used slide - if someone has a carb that has a stuck idle fuel screw......or a float bowl that is just too gummy to clean.  But I bet there aren't too many used slides/diaphragms for sale without a carb.

If this is your "first" time doing any carb work or jetting....I am not sure I would embark on installing an alternate carb, as the stock one works well and we know what jetting works in it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 11/01/18 at 05:20:22

I have a used slide.  The reason I have it is because the coating is worn and it was sticking in my carb.   No fun going 20mph in 3rd or 4th gear when the slide sticks. I paid ~$120 for a new one from Partzilla and it was the best $120 I've spent on my bike.  

So let's say I would sell you my used slide for $60 (half of retail).  Would you rather have my used slide or spend the extra $60 for a new one?

IP Logged
Ides Ov March
YaBB Newbies

Smurfy!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 11/01/18 at 07:46:50

Thanks for the replies.
Batman, I think you referring to the White space I read about here. I will be experimenting with that as well. But I'm talking about the big plastic washer thing that holds the diaphragm against the slide. Upon removal I noticed it was slightly cracked, figure it should be replaced.
Dave, yes this is my first time rebuilding a carburetor, and I agree with not embarking on an alternate carb since I don't have a clue, ha ha. I have an aftermarket exhaust and will be getting a pod filter. I have the Ryca jet kit in at 55 pilot and 150 main. I'll see how that goes when I'm up and running.
Ohiomoto, good point, I'll go with new.

One more question, are the diaphragms/slides all the same? Are they dependent on the year? Mines a 1997.
Thanks again,
Lisa

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/01/18 at 08:03:04

As far as I know, the plastic ring holding the diaphragm to the slide is not removable.
If it's cracked and you fear it coming apart, then it needs to be replaced.
Unfortunately, you can only buy it as an assy.

I'd like to have to see how the ring is attached.  I don't think anyone has tried disassembling them.

And I believe all slide assy's are the same.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/01/18 at 08:25:31

What exhaust?
Before you
Go With
A pod filter
Get it running Right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 11/01/18 at 09:00:35

I would try super glue(or better yet-Pilo contact cement-it is gas proof-sometimes found at Ace hardware) on the crack on the ring if it's not too bad , I don't believe it comes in direct contact with the fuel ,so it may work, and you don't really have anything to lose, if it doesn't.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 11/01/18 at 11:59:46

Part # 2 in the diagram.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1997/savage-ls650p/carbur...

You are going pretty rich with the jetting IMO.  Pretty much what the previous owner had mike bike at when I got it. Sounded cool, but ran like a turd. I found that my bike runs much better a little leaner and I get better mileage.  I'm running something like a 47.5 and a 147.5 or 150 with a touch of a white spacer mod for the mid-range.  Stock airbox and Dyna muffler.

JOG is right.  Get the jetting straight before you start changing parts.  Then make adjustments as you swap parts.

Also, there are some tests out there that have shown that many pod filters allow LESS air into the carb.  You might find that your bike actually needs leaner jetting with a pod filter than it needs with a stock airbox.  

Lastly, if you do go with the pod filter, you need to make sure you don't get one that blocks the air intake ports at the back of the carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/01/18 at 17:20:17

What exhaust do you have?
It matters.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ides Ov March
YaBB Newbies

Smurfy!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 11/02/18 at 07:25:03

Thanks again for all the replies.
My bike was passed down to me earlier this year, running very poorly. It was obnoxiously loud, cut off at high speed, stalled on acceleration etc, all around it didn't feel right.
Here's a pic of the exhaust the previous owner had on.
New raptor petcock has been installed, PO installed one too, but it was neglected, gunk, missing both filters, had traces of rust and varnish.
Next week I'll electrolysis rust remove my tank and por15 tank seal. In line fuel filter as well.
Back to my carb issue... When I disassembled it, rust and gunk mainly in the inlet filter and needle valve area, bad! The small spring thing that connects needle valve to float was OFF and just at the bottom of the bowl, diaphragm/slide ring cracked.  It had a main 145 and pilot 47.5.  I've taken care of everything, just waiting on my diaphragm assembly to come in (ordered last night).

IMG_2504.JPG
  IP Logged
Ides Ov March
YaBB Newbies

Smurfy!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #12 - 11/02/18 at 07:31:43

I got the ryca adapter and a cone muffler ( I think that's what it's called) with baffle, looks like this.
I would like to eventually clean up the battery and air filter area with a small antigravity battery and cone filter. Is there a specific filter recommendation? Foam uni?
I'm hoping what I've done resolves the carb issue, thank you for all your recommendations.
Lisa

IMG_2505.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/02/18 at 13:22:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/18 at 17:20:17:
It matters.

Would someone tell this guy that carburation is dependent on air flow?
If your exhaust is too free flowing, jetting gets really difficult.
So.
Again
What Exhaust do you have?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/02/18 at 13:32:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/02/18 at 13:22:22:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/18 at 17:20:17:
It matters.

Would someone tell this guy that carburation is dependent on air flow?
If your exhaust is too free flowing, jetting gets really difficult.
So.
Again
What Exhaust do you have?

Quote:
I got the ryca adapter and a cone muffler ( I think that's what it's called) with baffle, looks like this.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/17/24 at 21:36:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor diaphragm and slide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.