Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Insurance Issues - Too Easy to Total (Read 134 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Motorcycle Insurance Issues - Too Easy to Total
10/23/18 at 04:38:20

A good friend has a BMW R100GS Paris Dakar bike (1984 I believe), and he was involved in an accident recently.  He is an excellent rider/road racer and he and a few other friends were riding on a US Forest Road in Virginia, and the weather was wet and the dirt roads were very slippery and he crashed - he doesn't know exactly what happened but he was traveling about 15mph and his bike slid sideways and slammed him into the side of an embankment.  He was hurt too badly to ride out and the Police/EMS all responded.  He broke his collar bone and had to be hauled out in an ambulance, his bike had to be picked up on a flatbed truck - but the bike was functional and could be ridden had he not been hurt so badly.  (And.....the VA police showed up at the hospital and issued him a citation for reckless operation - and he may need to drive back to VA to attend court!).

The motorcycle had a bent engine guard, turn signal and mirror on the right side, and a broken windshield.  He got  a few estimates for repair from bike shops and the cost was around $1,500.  The insurance adjuster claimed the bike only had a value of $ 2,200, and they would total the bike if he pursued his claim - he could buy his bike back with after the payout with a "salvage" title for around $500.....so he could get his damaged bike and end up with $1,000 in his pocket and a bike with a salvage title that still needed repairs.

The insurance adjuster suggested that he not pursue a claim - that having a salvage title on his bike would forever hurt his bike value, and that since he was able to do the work himself he could likely repair the bike for $500 or less....and be money ahead if he ever decides to sell the bike.  

Although this resolution sounds and feels very wrong, it seems to be very common when a motorcycle is damaged - and bikes are very often written off rather than repaired.  The insurance companies use the NADA guide for the value, and it often doesn't really reflect the true market value of the motorcycle (unless the bike is a very current bike that is still very new and low mileage and still available as a new bike at the dealer....and the flooded used market is lowering the NADA listed values).  The NADA guide for his BMW states the bike has a "GOOD" value of $2,156 - you can't find a similar bike on the market for less than $6,000, and some are asking far more as the Paris Dakar bike is valued by collectors.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1989-BMW-R-100-GS-5004282904

SO - The purpose of this "rant" is to make you aware that the insurance you carry on your motorcycle is not guaranteed to make you "whole" if you have an accident and need to file a claim.  It is very likely that carrying any kind of "FULL" coverage that includes repair to your Savage is not likely to get you any useful money.  Motorcycles are very expensive to repair, as the cost of "new" parts and the dealer labor can very quickly exceed the value of your motorcycle.....especially on our Savage motorcycles that likely have a very low NADA value - the value of my 2007 is listed at $1,020 low retail and $1,340 average retail.

For my little Ninja and my Savage I don't carry any insurance for the repair of the bikes - I carry the needed liability/medical/uninsured motorist coverage, and if my bike is damaged I am going to have to do the labor and buy the parts to repair it (which is likely to be what happens even if I paid for the collision coverage) - I do carry a stated value comprehensive on those bikes in case they are stolen, and I also include additional coverage for the accessories (helmet, radios, GPS, etc.).  I do carry the collision on my 2 year old BMW, as it is likely to be very expensive if it needs repaired.

Here is a link to a business in the Cincinnati area that buys motorcycles from insurance companies - if you look through the inventory you can see how little damage it takes to get a motorcycle totaled....sometimes it is limited to scratches on the bodywork.
http://www.racersedge411.com/

Here is a very long YouTube video that shows a fellow that slides out on his BMW GS and gets bodywork damage and a bent shifter....and the bike is totaled by the insurance company.  This bike could be repaired pretty easily and made to be a completely functional bike again - however the dealers have priced the repair with all new parts to replace every piece that was scratched or bent in the accident, and evidently this got really expensive on this bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl-RJi1XZak

OK....rant over.  I just wanted to make you all aware that you need to review your policy and what you "expect" it will cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Motorcycle Insurance Issues - Too Easy to Tota
Reply #1 - 10/23/18 at 04:48:17

Liability only on my bike.  Partly for that very reason.  It's not worth much on paper and even if the insurance company did repair it, the deductible would probably cover half the costs.  Why would I pay the insurance company extra for that "service"?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/23/18 at 08:04:13

Yes, unless it's new, liability only.
And it can be easily argued what the value of the bike is with the adjuster.
They can search for comparable bikes for sale and establish a value, it just takes some effort.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/23/18 at 10:00:04

verslagen1 wrote on 10/23/18 at 08:04:13:
They can search for comparable bikes for sale and establish a value, it just takes some effort.

My friend said he could fight it - but the bottom line for him was that he could likely repair the bike for less than his deductible (or the pain meds just made him unwilling to fight at the time).  He was however a bit disappointed that he had been paying for insurance that ended up being pretty worthless in helping him.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/23/18 at 12:21:40

What a bummer.  I think you can put a rider of some sort on if you are dealing with the right kind of company.  I would ask how the deal with a collector or classic car if I was looking to for full coverage.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 10/23/18 at 13:33:45

Dave wrote on 10/23/18 at 10:00:04:
He was however a bit disappointed that he had been paying for insurance that ended up being pretty worthless in helping him.

I've never taken out a loan for a new bike, so I've never been faced with having to purchase physical damage insurance. Most of my bikes are $3,000-$5,000 machines that I have for fun, not primary transportation. If one were to get damaged, oh well - sucks for me. Repair, repaint and move on.

With what insurance companies charge for PD coverage, and when you factor in the deductible, you could make almost any repair in just three years of coverage.

Even on my cars, once the value dips below $10k, I cancel PD coverage.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/23/18 at 14:56:13

Yep, all I carry is the required liability. Well it does have some additional benefits like paying for hotel if my bike breaks down 75 miles or so from home. I think it covers my gear also. For about $120/year, I'm not complaining.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 10/23/18 at 20:15:52

Yep, all I carry is the required liability. Well it does have some additional benefits like paying for hotel if my bike breaks down 75 miles or so from home. I think it covers my gear also. For about $120/year, I'm not complaining.  

That sounds good , mine (Geico) only covers towing ($75.oo) and 1 hr labor .    But not motel bill !  Embarrassed

I'm paying $225.oo a year on three bikes.  Think they call it "Compressive" ?
If I add "un-insured motorist the price doubles …  Sad

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/24/18 at 03:06:03

I have the un-insured motorist coverage, as it is mandatory in our state.  1 out of every 7 drivers in the US does not have any insurance!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/24/18 at 07:42:39

I should go to Vegas.
I'm able to get hit by only one in seven.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 10/24/18 at 13:11:50

I have full coverage on both bikes because the difference in liability only is maybe $25/year total.  I also have uninsured motorist (assuming it is required in AL since we have so many uninsured).  The uninsured motorist piece on both bikes is $87 of my $243 annual premium. That's 36%!  Also looks like I have roadside assistance and accessory coverage up to $3000 among the other standard coverage items.

I guess this is fair...I just do what my agent tells me.  She's one of the few very solid and logical insurance agents.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/24/18 at 15:42:33

My wife worked in insurance for over 30 years and when I was about cancel the uninsured motorist portion because of the $ amount for it she said “OH NO, you need that on there even if it is not required by the state”.
Thank you my wife. ❤️

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 10/24/18 at 21:08:41

The medical coverage is the main thing for me.   The bikes are cheep compared to any kind of medical needs that might come out of an accident.   Even the new bike ain't nothing compared to a hospital bill , unless its a Goldwing or Harley type.
I might not have uninsured motorist on the bikes but I do have good medical coverage on the side.  Wink
Tn. requires only Liability Coverage , and if you don't have proof of insurance durning a traffic stop it don't end well .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 10/28/18 at 20:44:35

Since I rarely pay more than $3000 for a bike, liability only, a loss won't wipe me out, and any bike I do buy will be an easy fix. Salvage title on a bike is a lot less serious than on a car, I'd buy a salvage bike, but never a salvage car. YMMV! Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 10/28/18 at 22:19:56

My first truck had a Salvage  title , but it was a cheep truck … Datsun 510 for $630.oo out the door.    Well , I never knew the difference in titles till much later in life.    

I found out my "compressive" coverage is $1,000.oo deductible so I'll drop it on the Savage and drop the deductible on the Guzzi when I re-new it in March.  

Without his post , I'd never even looked at it !  Wink

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:32:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle Insurance Issues - Too Easy to Total

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.