Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New member bringing a 97 savage back to life (Read 196 times)
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New member bringing a 97 savage back to life
10/17/18 at 18:39:45

Hello everyone! I picked up a project 97 a few days ago and am looking forward to getting it back on the road. This isn't my first bike, currently have two others in the stable, and have worked on bikes a little bit. When I got it the bike would not run unless I put my hand over the tail pipe and choked it out. Then it would just sputter and die. So, I gave it a good carb cleaning and it would finally start but idle very erratically before finally skyrocking in rpms. After watching a few videos I found out that the vacuum line with the metal wrapping on it wasn't hooked up. This made the rpms stay down but still all over the place. There is another smaller vacuum line coming off the carb but I can't figure out where it hooks to. Just as an experiment I plugged it with a screw and the rpms evened out some more. However, it's still up and down and there is a lag between twisting the throttle and engine response. Then after it warms up and I press the the choke in it just dies. Also, someone has put a straight pipe on it and I doubt they did any jetting. The straight pipe is going to go but could it make it run this poorly? Am I missing something with the vacuum lines? Any help would be appreciated!  Grin

Also, after reading the top 4 things post I went ahead and ordered the raptor petcock. It may or may not be contributing to the problem but vacuum lines are annoying so I say let's just get it out of the way.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: New member bringing a 97 savage back to life
Reply #1 - 10/17/18 at 20:58:45

If one vacuum line is smaller(and nearer the rear of the carb) than  the other ,you may have a CA. model with the evaporative emission system.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 10/18/18 at 04:10:37

Get yourself a dyna muffler. Better than stock, better sound and not stupid loud and no drastic jetting issues that come with a straight pipe. There is a link in the tech section.

Go here, down to the Exhaust section
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/18/18 at 08:30:25

I'll look into the dyna exhaust. Yes, it's a small line coming from the left top side of the carb.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 10/18/18 at 09:47:41

If you have the CA. model.  that line comes from the bottom of the gas tank (and there's an internal line) it sends fuel vapor from the top of the tank down to a canister mounted on the muffler bracket under the front of the swingarm, from there it should run back up to the small fitting in the rear of the carb body . You should buy a Clymer book as all this is clearly shown.

IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/18/18 at 15:27:37

it's on the list.  Roll Eyes Will this line be needed with the raptor petcock?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 10/18/18 at 17:48:43

Where are you located? do you have the emission canister on the bike or not ? NEED more Info!
 On the right side of the carb are there two brass nipples to accept hoses ? or only one close to the carb inlet to the head?
 No matter which model you have, (CA or 49 state)  the second one mentioned,  ALWAYS   has to be plugged when using the Raptor petcock .

IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/18/18 at 19:34:30

Located in VA . I have one close to the head and then one with a smaller hose near the air box.

IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/19/18 at 14:27:34

I've got it running a little better now. The Rpms are steady and it does decent for a few minutes before stalling out. Gas is pouring out of the carb. So, I guess it's time to pull it and clean it again.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 10/19/18 at 16:42:38

More likely a carb set up issue than a dirt issue. Check the seat to ensure it is uniform in shape and that it makes good 360 contact. Also check your float height. One or both of these issues will result in a flooded carb.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/19/18 at 16:49:41

Thanks for the advice. I.cleaned it again to no.change. So, I believe you are correct. I'll check both of those next. I also have the raptor petcock installed. Kw .

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 10/19/18 at 17:23:52

when you check the float bowl inlet valve, you need to remove the horseshoe shaped clip and pull the valve seat ,clean the screen and check the condition of the O-ring on the outside ,if it's old/damaged it will allow a constant flow around the valve(even if it's closed) and overflow  the carb bowl.

IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/19/18 at 19:03:22

Adjusted the float and no more gas pouring out of the carb. Going to give the batter a good charge tonight and try again tommorow! Thanks guys!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 10/19/18 at 19:22:16

Read my above posting about the float valve and seat . you hve a CA model!  But your in VA ,you can just plug both of these brass nipples ,they are (if OPEN) just allowing dirty outside air (not going through the air filter) to lean out your fuel mixture .(something you don't what ,the bike will run badly and hot )

IP Logged
sumdog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/19/18 at 19:24:43

I plugged both per your advice earlier today . Thanks, batman.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 10:15:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member bringing a 97 savage back to life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.