Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into fir (Read 329 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into fir
10/12/18 at 07:41:23

I recently installed: a new cam chain tensioner, clutch plates, and new pushrod, oil filter, spark plug, cleaned the air filter and carburetor AND finally started and rode my bike after almost 2 years.

Shifting out of neutral into first gear it is making a strange sound-like a car trying to start but not catching. I thought perhaps it wasn't getting enough oil bc I thought I heard a knocking sound. I asked my coworker to ride it also so he could confirm and I could record. He kept asking if I'd removed the left gearbox bc he was hearing the sound there. I did not. There was no reason to.
I'm going to add some videos but I couldn't quite capture the screeching sound that I heard on shifting.
He confirmed that he heard it upon starting ie shifting into first from neutral.
Any ideas??
Thanks

Oh, yeah- I changed the oil twice yesterday bc I heard knocking on the initial ride and noticed it still had water(looked like mud) and put fresh oil in before taking it out again and making some clutch, throttle, and carb adjustments. It was heated sufficiently to backfire on the way back in. We prob rode it less than 2mi combined just doing loops in the lot.

Anyway, all help appreciated.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into
Reply #1 - 10/12/18 at 17:43:36

Noise can always be heard shifting into first from neutral , because it's the  only time transmission gears aren't moving and therefore don'twant to mesh.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/13/18 at 09:13:19

Couldn't get the other videos to upload but hopefully this helps

https://youtu.be/J8OoLDLEdi8

This is with the choke pulled out. It dies when puahed in. Made some adjustments to the idle and throttle but this is where I am currently.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 10/13/18 at 10:01:27

With the amount of work you did this noise could be anything
I’d rotate the crank by hand and check your valve lash first, make sure all your timing marks line up correctly

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/13/18 at 10:40:01

Meaning- pull the engine?

I know it may seem as if I know what im doing but a lot of this is confidence inspired by Justinoguy and this forum.

I went from "how do I clean a carb" to "ok, maybe, I can rebuild this clutch" over the course of the 2-3yrs I've been posting. That said, I'm good with my hands but dont have a wide breadth of mechanical knowledge. I do, however, have access to a pretty full garage and some Harley techs.

I also have a clymers manual but I honestly don't know where to start. Any help is welcomed.

Thanks

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #5 - 10/13/18 at 13:55:49

I have to ask. How did water get in your oil? When you say "Looked like mud" what do you mean? Did it look like one of the girly fufu coffee drinks that are mostly milk and sugar? Maybe kinda foamy?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/13/18 at 15:26:56

I pulled the clutch cover off a yr or so ago and didn't realize that it wasn't properly sealed when putting it back on. It sat outside-partially covered and got rained on. So, when I went in to pull the old clutch, the bottom of the case had some oily sludge and about half of my oil can was full of water.
When I say looked like mud, think of a cup of coffee with a couple of hits of creamer-no foam. I drained it and added new oil. I expected some moisture.

Update: my battery completely died on me so I will be switching that out. Also, I didn't notice the knocking when I gpt it started a few wks ago and blow a hole in the oil cover  but didnt really have the bike on long...

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #7 - 10/13/18 at 16:36:45

It's always a crap shoot when you have an engine sit that long with water in it. No telling what has rust on it.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/13/18 at 17:03:08

Solutions?
Suggestions?
I will take a stethoscope and check out the engine tmrw. Will prob also do a valve check.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 10/13/18 at 17:19:01

Blowing a hole in the oil filter cover is caused by putting the oil filter in backward , at that point you had no oil pressure to the motor( and the bearings and passages were empty if you just changed the oil and filter). It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from ,but it could be valve timing (the valves to far advanced or tight or the tensioner isn't working),  or a lose nut holding the flywheel( that sound usually subsides with higher rpm) or you've done some real damage due to oil starvation . I'd check before running it again.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/23/18 at 06:46:29

I'm waiting on a stethoscope. I had two diff mechanics give me very differing opinions on where the sound is originating from. Both are sure it is coming from the motor and not the clutch cover ie tensioner but one is telling me rod knock and the other is saying top left end, valves.

I've read up on valve adjustments and watched several videos listening to all of the different "oh no" sounds the Savage makes and the knocking that I'm hearing doesn't sound as tinny as the sound coming from the valve videos I've seen. The posts I've found here in the forum in relation to rod knocking have also varied in opinion with most agreeing that the issue is a very rare occurrence and usually something more common like  a loose flywheel nut. Now, I'm thinking that maybe due to circumstance-my bike may be that rare example of a for lack of better term dry-rotted engine with a rod knock. How do I go about fixing this issue? Will it be cheaper/easier for me to buy an engine? Could I buy the replacement parts and attempt the rebuild myself? Would you guys part out the bike and buy another?
This is my only means of transportation. I've been sharing a car for the last 6 months. And I have put a lot of time and energy into reviving my baby. I need help guys.

I was advised to replace the bearings and then have the crank machined and cleaned up. I don't know any machinists off the top of my head and it seems like a pretty insurmountable task. (I've accomplished the impossible with this bike 3x already though.) Anyone know anyone with a parts bike? or parts? equipment?
Also, generally speaking, if there is an issue with my bearings-there may be other issues, no?

Side note: When I replaced the spark plug, I didn't clean it or prepare it in anyway before installation. Could that be contributing to the issues I'm having and do I need a new spark plug?

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/23/18 at 07:15:14

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1504971796/7
"so my engine now has this horrible loud engine knock that I can only describe as rod knock. You can hear it a little while idling, start to really hear it when giving the engine a quick rev, and then can hear it from 2 blocks away when you put the engine under load (such as starting out in 1st)."

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1426644682
"I had a different clunk, probably typically called piston slap.
the piston had burned and squeezed down on the rings.
Still ran, couldn't find the cause till we tore it down.
the small burn spot was visible from the top, if you had 1 of those eyeballs on a stick that'll fit inside the plug hole."
With the flywheel nut tight, and the cam chain secure....there really are just a couple things left to check.

A few members have had cam lobe and rocker wear from using oils that are too low in ZDDP levels.  Our bike does not have rollers on the rockers and the newer oils don't have an adequate level of ZDDP to prevent failure.  This sound is more on the top end and sounds like really noisy valve clearance.  You would need to remove the cylinder head cover to look at this....and it would be a good time to renew the seal on the rubber plug over the right front cylinder stud - which can cause a serious oil leak issue.-verslagen

"There also have been several members whose piston is loose and making a lot of noise.  If you don't find anything wrong with the cam or rockers then you need to pull the cylinder and see what it going on with the piston.  With the cylinder off you can check the condition of the rod and crankshaft.  If the piston is bad you can upgrade to a Wiseco if you want to spend money for the upgrade....or used piston/cylinders can be found for a reasonable amount."-dave

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/23/18 at 07:24:50

jjthejetplane wrote on 10/23/18 at 06:46:29:
I was advised to replace the bearings and then have the crank machined and cleaned up. I don't know any machinists off the top of my head and it seems like a pretty insurmountable task.

These "mechanics" obviously have never been inside a Savage, and have no idea what is going on inside this engine.  The Savage has roller and ball bearings and there is no machining to "clean up" the bearing surfaces.  (Except for the issue with the water in your crankcase which may have damaged the crank or bearings......the crankshafts in this bike last forever and other things go bad long before the crankshaft fails).  However - having an engine with water and rust in the crankcase could have ruined the crank and bearings - but there is nothing to machine....you just find a good used one and replace the bad one and use new ball and roller bearings on both ends of the crank.

I really have no idea how to help you out of this issue - there just doesn't seem to be anybody in your area that knows enough about your bike to be reliably helpful and make a believable diagnosis.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/23/18 at 07:34:33

I have arrived at that conclusion myself. I am hoping that my friend brings the stethoscope today. In the meantime, I am reading all I can and looking at diagrams of the engine.

Help for me would look like-if (a) is the issue look here or try this.
or if (b) is the issue read this and try this.

Right now, I have no real idea of where to start. Only that I hear a knocking I shouldn't and I have to try to fix it.
I know to check valve clearances. I know to check the flywheel nut. And there are proverbial "how to's" for those.
In the case that it is "rod knock" how do I go about checking/diagnosing that? And what parts would need replacing? Looking at a diagram of the engine, there is nothing in the jug. If the noise is coming from the lower end should i be looking at crank shaft components?

There aren't any Suzuki motorcycle dealers near me and I ran into this same issue when trying to diagnose my clutch but I was able to get it out and working. I know i can do this with just a little help. :'(

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #14 - 10/23/18 at 07:45:04

You could pull the side covers off and inspect everything you can get to there. Recheck any work you have already done. I'm still concerned that the engine sat with water in it.

If you do open it up post pictures. Maybe someone will spot something.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 03:00:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Screeching sound, weird noise on shifting into fir

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.