Top Speed? (Read 229 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Top Speed?
10/11/18 at 13:13:58

Don't come on as often as I used to but I'm wondering about the state of the 'ol thumper.
I noticed quite a bit of vibration whenever I would get above like 65-70 mph.
Went over the engine mounts and lo and behold...the top engine mount was just loose as a goose...tightened it up along with all the other mounts to spec and it definitely felt much better but this last weekend I was on a long stretch of back country road and opened it up just to see what had changed.
Was able to get to almost 80 but it was pretty sketchy...

Just curious about all these folks that are able to cruise the slab comfortably at 70...when I do that I feel as though the bike gets really light and blown around a lot

I weigh 150 and have a dyna pipe, 150 Main, raptor, new pirelli tires trued and balanced and live at a mile high...

kinda wondering if the elevation is a big factor but overall it just doesn't feel that solid at hiway speeds...I often see folks on here rave about the ability of this bike on the hiway but I've never felt it.

Love my bike and came real close to getting the M50 to do more highway stuff but for what i use it for this bike is perfect...just wish I could feel more secure on the stretches of road where I HAVE to get on the freeway...
Any thoughts?
thx!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Top Speed?
Reply #1 - 10/11/18 at 15:35:39

The sweet spot for this bike is 50-60 mph, typical speeds of country back roads. This is not a bike for highway cruising. Oh sure, you can cruise along at 70-80 mph, but it's just complete punishment to both bike and rider. If you regularly need to cruise at highway speeds, I'd suggest a different bike.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/11/18 at 15:50:00

Exactly what I have found    50 to 60 mph   80 to 96 kph is where my bike is happy   Feels a bit frantic after that  

sea level 150 main 52.5 pilot dyna muffler 2 turns pilot screw stock air filter
raptor petcock  Shinko 230 tyres 140/90- 15 rear  100 /90-19 front

Hiko   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/11/18 at 17:40:10

For a stock bike bike in good conditon, absolute max would be in the 85-92 mph range. Some experts, and I'm not one, say oil consumption will rise at over 75 mph. Given the low and heavily enforced open road limit in my country I'm happy at 62-68 mph, 100-110 kmh. We don't have super slab, but being a light bike, you will feel wind regardless.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 10/11/18 at 21:34:42

My S40 will indicate 90 my elevation is 4000' plus, also, the temp is normally 70* at least. That doesn't seem too bad to me. I'm sure the speedo is optimistic a bit but I'd bet it is 85 true speed. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 10/11/18 at 21:36:24

Yes the bike stock, should do 85 +/- , being a mile high ,the150 main jet may be to rich. I'd try a 147.5 or the stock 145 . you can't expect a bike this light, to feel planted at high speeds or in a cross wind.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Top Speed?y
Reply #6 - 10/12/18 at 00:39:50

Dave's front pulley mod calms it at speed some and I went through a town that has a permanent radar showing your speed.
Speedometer said 40.
Radar said 40.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/12/18 at 03:03:30

Bubba, loose engine mounts will certainly cause vibration issues and I’m glad you found them.  But for this engine, which is basically a 1960’s technology designed engine, it has pretty good manners on the road and that even in the 70-80 mph range.  Have you ridden any of the older 500-600cc singles from the 50’s & 60’s ?  Crank those bikes up to 70-90mph and see how they feel ?  That is some REAL vibration !  We have a counter balancer and it does a great job when compared to a big single without one.  I’ve ridden 650 & 750 twins from the 60’s that vibrate as much or more than the LS650.  I consider the vibration of this engine to be negligible.  It’s all a matter of what you have ridden in the past and the type of machines you are accustomed to.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 10/12/18 at 06:25:40

Thx all!
Yeah, I must say the vibes went WAY down after I found the loose engine mounts...I know on my 2 strokers that being at a mile high they certainly start gasping for air...I know that if I down jet those bikes they definitely give me a bit more top end...at the risk of seizing tho'

Just wasn't sure if feeling of lightness was do to me being light, the bike being light and the overall effects of wind blast. I've also thought about a fork Brace but I'm not sold on how effective that would be just cuz the bike is so light.

I feel better now knowing it's probably not just my bike alone.
At any rate I'd really like to someday find a more solid bike for highway use but where I am now I mostly blast around town and occasionally take her up to the mountains for some weekend trips.

Of course, our mountains are topping out at 14,000 ft so that is pretty high up there...highest I've gone on this bike was about 12,000 and she performs very well...LOTS of snap crackle pops on the way down tho' LOL

I've thought about going down a jet because of my altitude but she runs so well right now and the header is a light golden brown so I know I'm not lean.
Thanks again...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 10/12/18 at 06:32:34

I have never taken mine to top speed, but regarding the front pulley mod, it makes a HUGE difference. Cruising at 75mph in 5th seems to be a very comfortable spot for the bike. I have the larger rear tire also, and at cruise speeds my speedo compared to the GPS is about 7mph difference (speedo reads 65mph but going about 7-72mph).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 10/12/18 at 07:24:57

I've seriously thought about the pulley mod but I don't think Dave is making them and I don't have the skills and/or lathe to mod one.
If one comes up on buy/sell I might have to grab it!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/12/18 at 07:31:27

Bubba wrote on 10/12/18 at 07:24:57:
I've seriously thought about the pulley mod but I don't think Dave is making them and I don't have the skills and/or lathe to mod one.
If one comes up on buy/sell I might have to grab it!

I will be making some pulleys soon - the cold/wet weather is just about to set in, and I will be able to spend some time indoors.  I have just had too many outdoor projects that needed my attention.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 10/12/18 at 07:34:46

I will fer sure buy one...I'm not on all the time so if you could try to remember me when they are available that would be appreciated.
Thx!
BTW, I'm running the larger rear tire and have the longer progressive shocks...any problem using that set up?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/12/18 at 07:44:52

Bubba wrote on 10/12/18 at 07:34:46:
BTW, I'm running the larger rear tire and have the longer progressive shocks...any problem using that set up?

I don't believe so - MMRanch and Stewmills and others are running the larger front pulley with a 140/90 Michelin Commander and it clears the swing arm up front.  MMRanch also has longer shocks...and that actually helps to provide a bit less tension on the belt - there is very little adjustment with the stock length shocks and the larger pulley as the axle needs to be moved all the way forward.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 10/12/18 at 09:40:23

Bubba wrote on 10/12/18 at 07:34:46:
I will fer sure buy one...I'm not on all the time so if you could try to remember me when they are available that would be appreciated.
Thx!
-------------------------------------

Just means you are going faster than your indicated speed.  Smiley

M commute is about 60 miles a day riding between 600-1100 feet of elevation.   I almost always take the freeway in the morning and ride through the city and parklands on the way home.  

I think I have a 47.5 pilot and 147.5 main, 18" rear wheel, lower forks, mid controls, a Dyna muffler.  Everything else is mechanically stock.  My bike runs slightly lean below 40 degrees, little rich over 80, and fat when it gets into the mid 90's.  It runs pretty "strong", meaning it burns clean a pulls pretty well throughout the power band, especially off the bottom end.  I can put up hills in fifth gear doing 40-45 with a steady quarter throttle and I'm surely pushing 250 lbs with a helmet and small backpack.  It pulls from 60-70/75 pretty well for a 30hp single, but I bet it's done at 79.99999 MPH...downhill!     Grin

I agree with you guys on the speed.  Sometimes I'll ride the freeway at 70 and while the bike is light, it doesn't bother me much, but it's just so much more enjoyable to ride this bike in that 50-60 MPH sweet spot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:07:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top Speed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.