Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bad surging (Read 87 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
bad surging
10/07/18 at 11:10:25

Hi all, I had a bit of an off moment the other day (left side hit the floor) the usual damage footpegs gone, minor scratch on tank, bag of chips in pocket exploded, nothing major, after a few minutes started the bike up again no problem, it went for about 20 miles then it started acting as if it was running out of gas surging back firing but I looked in the tank and still half full, it kept going til I got home but I had to keep the revs low or pull the clutch in to freewheel or it started surging badly. I had a look at the carb today cleaned jets etc just cos its not too difficult and maybe it would sort it out but no, back to the drawing board which means you guys tried doing a search and nothing comes up any ideas, thanks

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Re: bad surging
Reply #1 - 10/07/18 at 13:39:52

Is it possible you knocked some crud loose in the tank and it got plugged in the strainer? Tried switching from run to prime? Checked the flow from the petcock?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #2 - 10/07/18 at 16:37:35

Fuel seems to be flowing ok although as it only happens when I'm moving I cant see if it still flowing but the float bowl was full when I had a look. It feels like fuel but then again I've had intermittent electric probs that felt like that - as is usually the case it could be anything Smiley. I'm hoping that if enough ideas get thrown at me I'll have a eureka moment - or maybe not Grin

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 10/07/18 at 16:54:49

I think GOF is right, It sounds more like a petcock problem ,If you don't have a Raptor ,you need one. I don't think dropping the bike would effect the carb ,nor do I think it would plug the petcock strainer with enough crud to slow fuel flow . Pulling in the clutch to keep it running takes the load of the motor allowing it to spin faster and therefore pull a higher vacuum (on a stock petcock) allowing the petcock to open farther and deliver more fuel (until the bowl level drops again). If you think  it's an electrical problem, you should check the connectors ,but I don't think pulling in the clutch would have changed that.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #4 - 10/08/18 at 02:54:58

Thanks for that Batman will look into it further - I am taking it to my bud's later today, 2 heads and all that, cheers

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/08/18 at 03:59:28

Do you think you may have damaged the kick stand safety switch or wiring in the fall? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/08/18 at 09:01:06

after a few minutes started the bike up again no problem, it went for about 20 miles then it started acting as if it was running out of gas surging back firing but I looked in the tank and

I don't know what it is, but
It took time for it to show up.
If it did shake junk loose in the tank, well..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #7 - 10/08/18 at 16:13:00

Thanks for the replies problem solved  Smiley, the orange wire from the CDI igniter thingy to the pickup coil had come loose in the little connector block and was obviously just waiting for a significant event such as dropping the bike to finally give up the ghost, the orange wire was still in the block but only connected by touch so I'm presuming as I got my speed up the vibration from the engine was dislodging the wire causing it to disconnect then connect then disconnect etc., any way I noticed that the green wire was close to doing the same thing so out came the soldering iron and problem sorted, honestly  electrics are the devils work - thanks for the suggestions evryone

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/08/18 at 16:25:17

You FOUND it..
That's better than a bunch of people would do.
I don't Want to admit I am in the
WTF iz going on crowd
But, I probably wouldn't have gotten it that quickly.
Good going!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #9 - 10/08/18 at 16:29:51

A little bit of luck as well JOG, it always helps  Smiley

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #10 - 10/08/18 at 18:07:29

Sometimes it's good to get lucky.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/08/18 at 18:21:42

Getting lucky is what some of us live for.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #12 - 10/08/18 at 22:16:43

As Tom Petty once said "Even the losers get lucky sometimes" amen to that Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bad surging

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.