Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
SU16-C at the range
09/29/18 at 11:41:08

As you may remember, I bought an AR variant called a KelTec SU16-C to protect MM from Contract Killer Vengeful Chipmunk Organized Wave Attacks while we were considering a trip to the unknown Virginia side of the Blue Ridge.

The trip never came off, but the rifle did.  

Once the bulk brass buying was done, the cases were sorted and tumbled, sized and trimmed and the primer pockets were all reamed.  Then the cases then got reloaded in 3 different bullet weights and two major load levels (mean and wimpy) so I could share some ammo with MM without "springing" up on his Thompson Centers at their hinge area/lockup weak point.

Hurricane interruptions and wife eye surgeries intervened, but I finally pulled it all together and the range time finally came due today.

First thing I noticed is that the various bullet types and weights all shoot to the same group at 50 yards through the 4x Ruger scope (in a roundish 2" x 2" group that included some fast firing and some slow squeezing).

This zero point was chosen as it puts the gun about an inch high at 100 yards and back to zero at 200 yards.   Why 200 yards?  I got two hunting bullets that are constructed and meant for big game and it is legal to hunt with the gun in NC if I put a 5 round block into the short 10 round magazine.

Same rounds will go into 30 round mags for SHTF duty, and will do just fine at short and longer ranges.

Gun carries a 4x Ruger fixed scope for daytime long range shooting, a no magnification reflex red dot sight for moving targets and a laser for inside the house when you need to know where the bullet is going to hit with some "easy to use for terrified people" short range precision.  

Follow the logic.

Step #1, get the 4x main scope dialed to be spot on at 50 yards (5.56 ballistics then says you are  gonna be 1" high at 100 yards and spot on again at 200 yards).

Step #2, use the scope crosshair position to zero the red dot reflex sight.   (Hey, the reflex isn't nearly as refined as the 4x fixed scope's definition, but as long as it, the 4x fixed scope and the laser all are taught to agree at the various relevant distances you are good to go.)   Do this same trick with the laser sight.

Step #3,  checking back at 25 and 50 yards by shooting each kind of rounds found the system works within an inch of parallax error (red dot and laser are both offset a bit vs the 4x scope and the bore axis).

So, I am pleased with the rifle and the 3 sight system set up,  as I am now good for day vs night and for close vs far with the 3 sight systems that are on the gun (systems my old eyes can actually use).

Grin

« Last Edit: 10/03/18 at 18:05:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: SU16-c at the range
Reply #1 - 09/29/18 at 11:49:22

primer pockets were all reamed.

You'll never get to the Supreme Court now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: SU16-c at the range
Reply #2 - 09/29/18 at 11:53:58

Justin, they were all consenting "of age" female primer pockets, yes they were somewhat staked and crimped closed by militaristic conformity (remember their primers were all actually blown by somebody else, not by me) but they are still able to be deflowered and restored by my de-capping pin and the squealing rotating crimp reamer that followed the pin into those particularly overly tight orifices  ......  

...... and remember, men have been reaming out female primer pockets all along since primer pockets were created ......

....... but please do remember, I am not trying to sit on the Supreme Court and threatening to stop all the silly liberals from using Supreme Court Judges to do what they can't get the Legislature or the President to do.

« Last Edit: 09/30/18 at 03:20:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: SU16-C at the range
Reply #3 - 10/03/18 at 08:50:37

Just caught-up with your thread.  

When I first got a 223 barrel I bought a brick of  63gr SP , well it didn't take long to find that the Contender has a 14 twist and will not stabilize  nothing heaver than 55 grs.   I've shot 4 deer with the 55gr with 3 of them exiting , and the other (350 field shot) being found just under the skin on the far side.   All 4 of them dropped either on-the-spot or with-in 50 yards from impact.   Part of that might be the 55gr. Varmint bullet construction.  
Our deer are the white-tail kind , usually between 125-180 lbs. , and the 223 works just fine on them.    Fact is : The 223 works just as good as my 243 , 30-30 , 30-06 , or .357 rifle , so since the Contender only weighs about 4 lbs. … its the one I normally take on outings.   Wink

4.5 lbs. is nice for an AR rifle … what barrel did ya get ?   That 24.9" Over-all length looks inviting .   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/03/18 at 11:13:47

I have a 16" 7 twist chrome plated bore barrel that will shoot 69 grain, 62 grain and 55 grain into the same 2" by 2" multi group pattern at 100 yards.

Taking single shots aimed at each quadrant intersect point on a big target tells me the heaviest 69 grain bullet hits a consistent half an inch below the 55 grainers.   This is not a big difference to me since my best grouping shooting 10 of either one is over an inch by an inch (so it is within the natural group variation of ether of the bullet weights anyway)

I have a new higher magnification scope coming, a Simmons variable 4-12x40 specifically in hopes that a new higher magnification scope will give me some better results.   New scope was on 30% off closeout sale with a 5% off and free shipping coupon code from Optics Planet.   This is essentially the same scope as was on the K-31 rifle but it is 4-12x40 variable instead of 3-9x40 variable like is on the Swiss K-31.    I currently have a 4x single power scope sitting on the SU16C right now, and I am really feeling sorta "under scoped" at the moment.

I got 1,000 rounds of Federal Fusion bonded 62 grain hunting bullets, 1,000 of a 69 grain GameKing type (controlled early expansion w/deep penetration deer hunting type) and 2,000 of the standard 55 grain military FMJ "built to tumble" bullet over milsurp powder for plinking around a bit.

A butter tub of 55 grain FMJ plinkers was put up intentionally "on the slow side of book spec limits" so as to not damage your Contender any further.   Your Contender's action is a little loose already, you know that, right?

« Last Edit: 10/03/18 at 17:43:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/03/18 at 14:56:01

Your action is a little loose already, you know that, right?

Now you're just trying to hurt his feelings.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 10/03/18 at 17:32:13

You missed one on the butter tub comment, getting a little slow there Justin.

Me, I'd not want to get shot with a 55 grain "built to tumble" FMJ bullet ......    This stuff will go through normal body vests and go right on out the other side, tumbling at least once in between.    It will penetrate a car door with the glass down, an angled windshield, the side glass, etc etc.    

And this is my wimpy MM plinkin' stuff ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzxBJSIaGA        It's a ballistics jell test, so jest click and watch

« Last Edit: 10/05/18 at 14:32:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20181003_204741459.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 10/03/18 at 22:19:33

I didn't notice any play in the action ?   it relies on a bevel  close ing on  another bevel …  
Maybe you just didn't have it closed good ?

There are two different contenders , the first one wasn't strong enough for the 300 win. MAG. type shells … so they made the heavier one  , I forgot what they called it but I'm not interested in an Elephant gun anyway.   Wink

I like the 222 Rem. with my cast bullets running about 2000 fps for everything but deer.   then I put the 223 Bull-barrel on and go with 55gr Varmagon projectiles at about 3000 fps.  

I also bought a Ruger American Rifle in 22 Mag , it came with a threaded barrel so I put a flash suppressor on it for a muzzle proctor.  Its light with a man-made black stock thing.  
Anyway , I got a supply of CCI 30gr. plastic tipped 2200fps rounds for it.

I don't shoot as much as I used to , but still enjoy a day in the back yard with some 22LR's  and the  swinging targets .   Usually the pistols and/or revolvers at 15 to 25 yards.  
I keep the rifle swingers up all the time too .   They are made of 3/16" steel plate so its still a rimfire only game.

Those "Super-Speed -- Heavy Bullets" tend to tear-up my swinging targets when the swinger frame gets hit.    So , the only thing safe to shoot with them "Heavy" rounds is paper (even then the frame gets shot too)  and that's just not as much fun.

I've bought some of them "Self-Healing" targets , well when the frame gets hit they still tear-up .    And you might as well throw the frame away if ya ever hit the pivot area , the bent metal inside the Healing stuff will never swing smooth again.  Embarrassed

So , bring your 22LR when ya come to visit and don't worry to much about that overloaded stuff unless ya bring one of them Self-Healing balls that ya just throw out on the hill side.
………………………………………….

T/C ENCORE !  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/05/18 at 14:31:16

I don't own a 22 long rifle anything any longer .......  passed all of them pea shooters on down to the nephew, the son in law, etc.

You know, you never did set up any form of scoot and shoot at your farm this year and it may be getting a bit late in the season now.    

Mebbe next year .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 10/06/18 at 08:29:17

Yea ,

I had a busy summer , but didn't have but two nice long rides this year.   The week in Texas and the week in Suches , plus a few one night trips.    

……………………………………

I've been thinking about those delivery vans and how a bike or two would fit in the back of one of them.   The MPG might still be something easy to live with , but that's as far as I've gotten with it.

I've got a  plus-cab truck that could do the same job at 20ish mpg.   If we get a plan to take an adventure somewhere then --- How many days can ya park at a Wal-Mart parking lot before ya have to pick your truck up at the impound yard ?   Roll Eyes

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/06/18 at 11:16:58

If you check in with the security company you can stay several days at some Walmarts, but you have to be parked well off to the side of the lot.

Malls are easy too, several days no sweat.

If you go to the campground tool it shows the SuperWalmarts that are camper friendly as part of the listing.

===================================================

Cavanaugh was confirmed yesterday by the Senate.

I wonder if the liberals who treated him so poorly realize what a "not-a-friend" they have now created by their high levels of absurd public abuse, now that he has been put on to the Supreme Court bench for the next 30 years ......

« Last Edit: 10/07/18 at 13:39:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:41:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › SU16-C at the range

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.