Camshaft (Read 276 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Camshaft
Reply #15 - 10/04/18 at 12:57:14

I did the inspection of the cam.  I logged about 750 miles since the last inspection.  Valve clearance was OK all around.  Exhaust valves were at .006" (I readjusted to .004") and intakes were .004" (I left as-is).  Visual inspection of cam lobes through the intake valve cover showed no signs of pitting or spalling, 360 degrees around the lobes.  You need a small flexible light to do the inspection.  Its humbug but still doable.  So far so good.  It didn't blow up yet, even without the oil holes.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Drifter..
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/05/18 at 19:24:31

So it sounds like the oil holes are not that important on a DR cam.....?  Probably worth doing on a cam not already installed for added insurance and peace of mind!

What oil are you using?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 10/06/18 at 06:52:49

I’m traveling right now so I can’t go down to the garage and double check, but as I recall I filled it up with Mobile 1 synthetic, 20W-50, air cooled V-Twin.  I know that’s controversial but, hey, I’m a quirky sort.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #18 - 10/06/18 at 10:10:40

Looks like I'll try the DR cam.  It's been years since I've installed one . I remember using a math formula to find the Cam Lobe Center. This number would change, and alter the powerband, if you moved the cam in the modified sprocket. Some cams list a cam lobe center .Some performed better outside of that spec. Does the DR list a lobe center number,  and is that number the one we should be reaching for ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 10/07/18 at 10:10:29

No lobe center setup on this one.  Just line up a mark on the end of the cam with the horizontal surface on the head when crank timing mark is at TDC.  I’d send a pic but I don’t have access to my laptop right now.  The all inclusive Clymer manual gives some details.  Most important detail is to apply the sealant for the head cover sparingly (very, very sparingly).

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #20 - 10/07/18 at 15:38:32

Thanks DBM

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print