Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
For those looking to surf a Blue Wave (Read 178 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

For those looking to surf a Blue Wave
09/19/18 at 06:00:48

Better read and understand this. I see and hear the same thing. I am one of these deplorables.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/what-ohios-deplorables-reall...

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: For those looking to surf a Blue Wave
Reply #1 - 09/19/18 at 06:03:31

WebsterMark wrote on 09/19/18 at 06:00:48:
Better read and understand this. I see and hear the same thing. I am one of these deplorables.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/what-ohios-deplorables-reall...

"In an unscientific survey of flyover country, our correspondent learned why voters are so willing to forgive Trump."

Basically, an opinion piece.

That doesn't change the facts, the polls or trump's approval numbers.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/19/18 at 06:13:29

Of course, nothing is certain.  However, there is some compelling evidence that the republicans are in grave danger in the House and at the local level.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/take-the-house-m...

http://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/10/polls-broken-blind-spots--blue...

Just like I've been saying - people won't necessarily be voting for a democrat as much as they're voting against trump.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/19/18 at 06:22:24

Of course it's an opinion piece. No one is disputing that.

The facts.......  the facts are the polls and approval numbers during the 2016 election were dead wrong. I wouldn't hang your hat on polls or approval ratings.

I'd hang your hat on what most people think of the Kavanagh debacle for example. Not what I think, not what you think, not what CNN thinks and not what Fox thinks. What people who catch bits and pieces of the news think, which is the vast majority of the population. My guess is (and this is only an opinion, but an opinion that is usually correct politically) these people, these deplorables, don't hold Democrats in high regard. They are fully aware of Trump's failings (as mentioned in the article) and accept him for who he is. However, they correctly smell out lying politicians.

The best way to describe it might be to say we accept Trump's lies because he's an 'honest liar'. We reject politician's lies because they are 'dishonest liars'.

I'm sure you will say you don't understand that, but deep down, I think you know exactly what that means in the real world.

Bottom line; hold off waxing that surfboard. Maybe you'll get to use it, maybe you won't but its not sure either way.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/19/18 at 06:36:43

So if the polls were terribly inaccurate about Trump's approval ratings prior to the election what has changed to make them more accurate now?  

Polls = c rap information, they predicted he wouldn't win.
 Polls = fact. they show his approval ratings are X percentage points.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/19/18 at 07:00:39

huh?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/19/18 at 07:06:10

People reference todays polling as accurate, but also point out how inaccurate they were prior to the election.

If I reference poor polling results pre-election it would not make sense for me to consider them accurate today unless there's been changes to account for the margin of error or procedural deficiencies.

What changed that causes some people to use polls as accurate information today?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/19/18 at 08:03:19

Unscience,... my favorite....  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/19/18 at 08:10:34

Ok, I see your point.

Confirmation Bias.

If something supports our viewpoint, we see it as valuable. If something doesn't support it, we ignore or attack it's credibility.

All of us do this. Some more than others. I'm guilty, you're guilty, everyone is guilty of this.

Every good salesman knows this instinctively. People (myself included)  make most decisions emotionally and then trick ourselves into thinking we based our decision on facts. We look backwards and fool ourselves by selectively remembering 'facts' that support our decision. We 'forget' or tell ourselves we missed the facts that would have caused us to go a different direction.

For a salesman, this gets you the first or possibly the second sale. However, unless your particular product or service performs 'in the heat of the moment' when the memory of that shinny new product is clouded out by the $hitstorm you're in the middle of, you'll find yourself lumped into the used car salesman category instead of a valuable partner. Once you're in that category, forget about getting out. You're going to have to find other customers or wait for that guy to leave the company if you're going to sell to them again. If however, your product or service performs when it really needs to, then you're in like flint. Confirmation Bias works in your favor then. Competitors have little chance of displacing you because their 'facts' are ignored.

In the political world, confirmation bias manifest itself in somewhat blind allegiance to a party. Something drew us to the Republican or Democratic party and when almost anything is presented to us that could disrupt that allegiance, we use confirmation bias to handle that objection.

Which is why confirmation bias is valuable. Otherwise, we'd be forced to flop back and forth, unable to settle on something.

For proof, just watch as TT and I go back and forth ignoring facts that disrupt our position and highlighting only the ones that confirm our bias.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/19/18 at 08:20:40

WebsterMark wrote on 09/19/18 at 06:22:24:

Of course it's an opinion piece. No one is disputing that.

The facts.......  the facts are the polls and approval numbers during the 2016 election were dead wrong. I wouldn't hang your hat on polls or approval ratings.

Well, not at the end they weren't.  Even Michael Moore predicted trump to win.  It was more disbelief than anything.

I'd hang your hat on what most people think of the Kavanagh debacle for example. Not what I think, not what you think, not what CNN thinks and not what Fox thinks. What people who catch bits and pieces of the news think, which is the vast majority of the population. My guess is (and this is only an opinion, but an opinion that is usually correct politically) these people, these deplorables, don't hold Democrats in high regard. They are fully aware of Trump's failings (as mentioned in the article) and accept him for who he is. However, they correctly smell out lying politicians.

True.  Which is why you're seeing an insurgence of democrats that are refusing PAC money.  Not taking anything from corporations.  People like Beto O'Rourke and Ayanna Pressley.  They are the future - not just of the dems, but politics in general.  Actual public servants.

The best way to describe it might be to say we accept Trump's lies because he's an 'honest liar'. We reject politician's lies because they are 'dishonest liars'.

That would be a minority of voters.  The reason his popularity is so low is that - even with a good economy - they don't trust him.  With good reason.  That is reflected in the entire republican party.

I'm sure you will say you don't understand that, but deep down, I think you know exactly what that means in the real world.

No, I get it.  But I also realise that it's a minority of the voters that think that.  All those that jumped ship because they hated hillary (with good reason), are now waking up from the hangover of this buffon being in office.  Voting for change, simply for the sake of change, has gotten us trump.  For better or worse, that's rattled the cages of the new "silent majority".  Rest assured, they will be heard in November.

Bottom line; hold off waxing that surfboard. Maybe you'll get to use it, maybe you won't but its not sure either way.

Like I said, nothing's guaranteed.  But for sure, there will be a sea change.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/19/18 at 08:29:17

Eegore wrote on 09/19/18 at 07:06:10:
 People reference todays polling as accurate, but also point out how inaccurate they were prior to the election.

From what I saw (and it's easily accessible online) is that as we got closer to the actual election, they showed the margins getting narrower by the day.

Also, polling usually only takes into account the popular vote.

References:
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/campaign/315145-one-last-look-2016-poll...

http://www.aapor.org/Education-Resources/Reports/An-Evaluation-of-2016-Electi...

If I reference poor polling results pre-election it would not make sense for me to consider them accurate today unless there's been changes to account for the margin of error or procedural deficiencies.

What changed that causes some people to use polls as accurate information today?

FWIW - For presidential approval ratings, I usually only go with Pew.  They've been tracking it the longest and have a rock solid reputation as being non-partisan.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/19/18 at 09:33:42

FWIW - For presidential approval ratings, I usually only go with Pew.  They've been tracking it the longest and have a rock solid reputation as being non-partisan.

.....or because it confirms your bias.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/19/18 at 09:37:12

What would have happened if after the election, US intelligence had announced the results were tampered with by Russian hackers and Trump's win was not legitimate?...

So would they?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/19/18 at 09:46:41

WebsterMark wrote on 09/19/18 at 09:33:42:

.....or because it confirms your bias.

Not at all.  That's just a coincidence.

It's not like I'm referencing fox or cnn or msnbc or rasmussen.

PEW's been around for a long time and they're trusted for good reason.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/19/18 at 10:29:46

Serowbot wrote on 09/19/18 at 09:37:12:
What would have happened if after the election, US intelligence had announced the results were tampered with by Russian hackers and Trump's win was not legitimate?...

So would they?... Huh

If it were shown Russian hackers got into individual counties and changed the vote total so that one candidate won majority of electoral votes, I would have been in favor of leaving Obama in office for 3 months and holding the election over in March with paper ballots.

If it were proven one of the candidates participated in the hacking, I would have shot her, left Obama in office, have the parties go thru another nomination procedure, and hold the election in May or June.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 03:43:50

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › For those looking to surf a Blue Wave

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.