Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinion for the community - Cam Chain Tensioner (Read 106 times)
Tex
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Opinion for the community - Cam Chain Tensioner
09/15/18 at 14:54:57

Hey guys,

I took the bike apart today in order to check on the cam chain tensioner. Got about 20,000 miles on the bike. The measurement of the tensioner out of its housing is 15.3mm. I have read Verslagen's posts and others in regards to 18/19mm being where you'd want to change it out.

I have a new stock cam chain tensioner (not the Verslagen mod). Just want to reach out to ya'll and go to the collective well of knowledge because I'm new at this type of engine fixing.

- I'm curious about anything else I should be looking for.
- Is it worth replacing or can I button it up and ride it safely till winter. (I'm on the East Coast).
- Will the new tensioner I have not make a difference? I'm trying to understand if I understand correctly that if the chain the tensioner is tensioning is stretched then a new tensioner won't make any difference. Is that right to am I wrong and a new tensioner will put it back to 8/9mm like it was the day the bike was bought.

Thanks everyone for your forum, help, guidance, etc. Seriously beautiful thing to have this area to reach out.

Best regards

- Dan

P.S. attached photos if it helps to see.

IMG_0409_004.JPG
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Re: Opinion for the community - Cam Chain Tensione
Reply #1 - 09/15/18 at 15:24:44

The tensioner isn't the problem. The chain and guide wears. This wear translates to chain stretch. The tensioner is there to account for this stretch. So just replacing the tensioner will do little to correct the issue. Verlagens mod, at it's basics, lengthens the tensioner to take up the slack.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/15/18 at 15:43:13

just replacing the tensioner will do little to correct the issue. Verlagens mo

It will do exactly nothing.
Either replace the chain or get a modified tensioner
A completely modified tensioner has a roll pin to keep it from spitting the guts out and a tab welded on to get the last of the use from the chain.
Barman removed the spring from the pals. Apparently that's not a bad idea either.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 09/15/18 at 19:49:39

Seeing your at 20,000 miles I would do something now. the chain has stretched to only half it's service limit, so you should either extend the tensioner (much cheaper and easier) or you'll have to replace the chain. A new stock tensioner would look the same as the one that's on your bike now ,and could fail and damage the motor with in the next couple of thousand miles.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/16/18 at 03:57:46

I believe you still hav a few thousand miles left in the stock tensioner.  

You could put it back together.......then ride it for a bit longer.  Send your new tensioner to Verslagen to have it modified.....when you get your modified tensioner back from Verslagen - take it apart again and install the modified tensioner.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tex
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/16/18 at 09:27:10

Thanks guys, really appreciate you clarifying that for me.

I'll most likely see about getting a Verslagen mod.

If one was going to replace the chain I assume thats a very complex process that requires a dealer or a major engine disassembly right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/16/18 at 10:34:25

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/16/18 at 18:01:12

I just replaced my cam and cam chain a couple months ago.  It does not require removing the engine from the frame - but it does require removing the head cover, the clutch cover, the clutch, and the crankshaft sprocket.  At that point you can take off the cam bolts, the guide bolt, the tensioner.....and wiggle the chain out.

While you are in there get a Verslagen head plug so you won't have that leak in the future.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinion for the community - Cam Chain Tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.