NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
My Savage Ride_Part 1
09/14/18 at 13:35:21

Greetings All,  

I have completed my Savage build.  Can't give enough credit for how this forum helped the process.  So, much information, so many good builds, so many members willing to share their stories and experiences.  Gotta say there wasn't one good idea already thought out and most of the time tried out, I didn't unabashedly poach. This extensive mod started last November as I was thinking winter would be a great time to meet the challenge. So been at this for 10 months.  Life interrupted lots taking me away from the project and at times stealing the momentum.  I would guess all told I have a good 4-5 months of work in the engine build and the frame, cockpit, fitting and fabing, and body mods.

The brain-trust composed of our moderators, grey beards, gurus and wrench turners was invaluable.  Can't say enough about their willingness to share their collective knowledge and experience. So, credit where credit is due...the forum virtually built my machine, I just put my limited skills to work executing the fabrication and  wrench turning in my way...ending in the completed results.  Results that I must admit I am pleased with.

Let me first acknowledge ohiomoto.  I read and reread and looked and then looked more at his build. What a great job.  It inspired me to put my hand to the test.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1472222031/45. As inspiration goes I was super impressed with this Tempter build by Speedtractor in Japan: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/speedtractor-t-61-catalina-special-a-lovel...

Ohiomoto and I did a little personal communication via email.  I purchased from him my tail light and seat (it was brown I had it reupholstered) he threw in a rear fender and some enging mounts. His mid-controls thread was super informative, too.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1487785879/30.  

Nerdsport also gave us a fantastic build.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1487785879/30.  He also was willingly responsive to some email questions I had.  My mid-controls are a straight derivation of what he did. I think he sold his bike...too bad...except for whomever bought it.

Can't say enough about Lancer!  Got my Wiesco piston, Web cam, VM36 jetting schooling and he pointed me to Thunder Products for the Intellijet, UFO, and Torque Wing just for starters.  He talked headers, engine rebuild, engine oiling break-in, and more with me. Talk about a sharing guru.  Tip of the hat.  Also, the black RYCA shocks he gave to me back when he was cleaning up around his shop...thanks man.

Versy was my source for the cam chain tensioner, and engine plug. Recently he guided me to the right answer about a binding starter when I was ready to fire this Savage up.  Smart guy...has a great command of the working of the Savage...kudos!!

How do I acknowledge all the input on chain conversion, tires, rims, wheels, oil, etc etc etc from all the members that found answers through trial and error so I didn't have too?  Let's just say the "Search" tab got a real workout and never failed. Batman offered invaluable exhaust scavaging knowledge. Rutly chimed in on carb jettin. Bought those too cool black powder coated engine covers from Dave.

I have a ton of photos documenting the build.  I will post some (probably too many) for the forum. If there's something a member wants more images of...just ask.  If I got em I'll share em.  Don't want to bore anyone.

One central theme was cost.  I tried to reuse as much of the stock stuff as I could.  Budget was guiding consideration...spent lots of cash anyhow...so tried to keep the costs down with eBay finds, scrounging, modify modify modify original parts and fabbing some of my own.

I think with so much done...I will do the images to tell the story from the front end of the bike to the back.  This is NOT the order that I did the work...waiting on parts (like the tank) and generating a thought process to address the "how in the hell am I going to do that" made for kind of a fluid build.

Here goes:

At some point they all kinda look like this don't they?

I kept the 19" front rim but mounted a dual purpose tire I got off Amazon, Kenda K761 M/C 57H 100/90/19. I like it and how it rides...matches the rear. Matching tires for a front 19 and rear 18 limit to some extent what can be run.

Mounted a chrome front fender: I believe it was the Kawasaki 750 fender Dave posted about.  I chose a black and chrome color scheme.                                            

Shortend the front forks 2 inches:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7129

and added fork boots.

I cut down, drilled and threaded the original 6" pull back handlebar risers to 2 inches and kept the original handlebars, clutch, brake and throttle controls. Mounted a RYCA mini tach and mini speedo with a highly modified RYCA dual mount

I searched months until I decided on a Suzuki 250T tank...thanks eBay. Moving the tank mounts and getting this tank to sit and look good was probably the easiest thing of all the fab work.  It more less fell into place. Had to cut off the old mounts...used threaded rod to pass throught the frame to make the new mounting studs. I moved my Raptor fuel petcock to the new tank...couple a tricks there to make it fit and not leak...it's not leaking...that's a win!!

Engine came out of the frame for the new piston, new cam, new cam chain tensioner, new enging plug and probably a good 5-6 hours porting and polishing the head.  So many threads on the head work with photos really helped.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366785093 for example. Engine back in the frame and looking a that freshly work exhaust port.

Living in New Mexico finding someone to bend me a header with the ~1.60 ID and 33-35 inch length was tough.  Most muffler shops DO NOT mandrel bend their pipe...which I believe is mandatory.  However, after a national search and rejecting the buy pieces and curves and weld your own route (I can burn a hole in anything I weld and I cann't weld without a grinder if you get my drift) I found Wilson Custom Headers.  Great people.  I sent them my original header do they could calibrate their bending machine.  They bent me two headers...one in a full 2 inches to get the bends correct and the one I mounted with the ~1.6 ID.  I think it was $90.  Then I sent the pipe of to Jet Hot Coating for a ceramic coating...another $90...but all great businesses to work with.

I did the chain conversion first. Plenty, I mean plenty of discussion and references to access gears and chain and installation on the forum...for example...http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1174239333

OK...since were about midships the mid-controls were somewhat of a challenging fabrication.  I used cardboard templates to design my mounting hardware, 1" steel tubing to then attach the outside mounting plates for the levers and foot pegs.  I jetisoned the front foot pegs and repurposed the buddy pegs after I modified them to bolt flush.  My templates were taken to a local CnC machine shop to be cut out accurately.  When I welded it all together and used the existing bolt holes to mount the piece...surprise of surprises...IT FIT the first time!!!

I used the original brake pedal and shift lever (no holes was instructions to the CnC operator...I had to have them during the mockup.

Added the Susuki GS650 Center Stand and this is what the mid-controls look like before mounting.

Getting them mounted and everything functioning was a different kind of horse. It all works flawlessly...that's another win!

left side
    right side
Still a midships there's that new Mikuni VM36 with UFO. Torque Wing, Intellijet and Uni airfilter.

I chose to eliminate the battery box and air box.  With all the forum disussion about batteries I chose to go with an LiFePO4 battery that is being made here in Las Cruces called SpeedCell...http://speedcell.com/.
Weighs less than 3 pounds AND the company/manufacturer is less than 15 minutes from my house.  Gotta admit kinda expensive. Mounted it up under my seat pan.

Built a subframe to get the line I wanted from front of bike to back of bike using the tank line and seat.

TOO BE CONTINUED.

« Last Edit: 09/16/18 at 19:51:27 by NMSavage »  

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Re: My Savage Ride_Part 2
Reply #1 - 09/14/18 at 14:29:39

There's not that much more.

Built a box under the seat to house that rat's nest of wiring etc.

Reused the sheet metal airbox covers just switched them around a bit.

right side
                    left side

Reused the rear break cable and the brake light cable. Had to shorten the rear brake cable...used an old rancher fix...crushable cable/fencing coupler.

Bent the rear fender tabs and used them to help mount the new rear fender...cut a piece of bar steel for the mounting attachment...cut holes in the fender.

Mounted my tail light and a couple of aftermarket turn indicators.

I can't remember where I got the rear hub...but I purchased the rim and spokes from Mike's XS. Lace me up a new rear wheel (took me a few tries to get it right), trued and balanced the wheel...mounted a Kenda 761 dual purpose 120/80/18 rear tire.  

I fussed about the kick stand and decided to lose all the front foot pegs, trim the mounting studs and used the original location for the stand.  That let me keep the idiot switch for non-neutral starts with the stand down.  I think it looks very sanitary mounted there that way.

Running a Dyna muffler.

Doggone thing started on the first crank with a little choke.  It runs strong...how strong I really don't know as I've only ridden enough (50-60 miles) to do all the break in varible rpms and low rpm crusing.  I do know I like it...and the mid range sits me back even better than before.  It's a bit engine noisier than I recall, but hey, I haven't ridden it in 10 months.

Lights, turn indicators, everything works!!  I mounted the rectifier outside the seat box right above and in front of the rear tire...lots of air in that spot.  The clearance between the swing arm and rear tire is TIGHT...I'm hoping the new chain when it stretches will get me enough to stop my fussing.  

Later Brothers and Sisters,

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: My Savage Ride_Part 1
Reply #2 - 09/14/18 at 14:36:41

Well let me be the first to say "Great Build". You're gonna hear that a lot. Love the bike and the vision for it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 09/14/18 at 15:34:14

Nice ,very clean looking, great job!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 09/14/18 at 17:44:29

Great job!. You don't mess around when you do something. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/14/18 at 21:34:35

Yes nice shapes & lines. Nice fabrication. And a overall Great build !
The reward is pride in what you built. So go ahead and brag "I built that"
Outstanding !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/15/18 at 07:59:24

Looks like a real goer!...
Nice work... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/16/18 at 04:25:54

Good job making the Savage "your" bike.

I am glad you got the dog face in one photo.....our Black and Tan coonhound Sarah passed away a few years ago - but she was around when I did my bike build and she is in a few of my photos in my bike build.  In the summer she would wander around outside but stop in to check on me periocically - in the winter she had a bed in the corner of the garage and would keep me company while I worked.

Unless your roads are really smooth down there, I think you may decide to change your front end after riding it for a while.  Lowering the forks with the spacers reduces your fork travel, and makes for a bumpy ride.  Keeping the fork travel is possible if you save up and buy one of the top clamps that have pinch bolts and allow you to raise the fork tubes up in the clamp.  You may be able to live with it since you have handlebars above the triple clamp - with clipons bolted to the fork tubes below the triple clamp like I have on my Cafe......my wrists really take a beating if the ride is rough.

I will add this thread to the Bike Builds sticky at the top of the RSD!  Thanks for posting this in an organized "single" thread that I can link to in that section.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #8 - 09/16/18 at 13:55:30

Great looking build NMSavage! As everyone said, clean, spot on, kick ass bud. So you incorporated the GS650 center stand? Nice bonus.

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #9 - 09/16/18 at 16:41:55

Hey ALL,

Thanks for the kind words!!  Labor of love it was.  

Gary_in_NJ  I take your complement of my vision as a real bonus...thanks

batman You were instrumental in my header with offering your knowledge...thanks man!

norm92de  you are only 45 miles away...maybe a ride to enjoy a bite or coffee sometime?  Thanks for the complement!

Ruttly  I really like your Tracker and our discussion on jetting was great! You gotta know when I ride this Savage and park it...I take your advice and walk away with a little swagger..."I built that!!"  

Serobot you've always had positive input and your knowledge always welcome in my camp as you are...thanks for the nice words.

Dave  that dog face pretty much is a fixture where ever I go.  That's Max, one of the best GSPs I've ever had the priviledge to share life with.  He was on his bed in the shop for pretty much all of it...not when I had alot of grinder work to do...heck that hurt my ears with hearing protection. If I get roughed up...your fork suggestion sounds interesting.

madmikesmech I am in love with the older british stuff and rides that have center stands.  Couldn't live without one!  Thanks for the compliment on the build!!

* NMSavage

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 09/17/18 at 09:46:38

One word "Tacate!"

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 09/17/18 at 09:50:43

Oh, wait, I meant nice work. Love the look (obviously my style)!!  Not only do you have great taste in beer, but you also have great tastes in motorcycles.  I think we would all be remiss to not give Ryca some credit here.  Making a standard or cafe out of a cruiser is not the easiest way to make a cool bike, but they gave us a nice blueprint to work from.  It makes me feel better about spending money with them.

Also, Dave is probably right about those forks, but since we have handlebars on our bikes, lowering them in the tubes is costly and limiting.  I'll be taking mine off this winter and sending them out to have the tubes shortened and rethreaded. This will allow me to keep the stance and regain the lost travel.  You might want to consider that in the future.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 09/17/18 at 10:18:24

ohiomoto wrote on 09/17/18 at 09:50:43:
 I'll be taking mine off this winter and sending them out to have the tubes shortened and rethreaded. This will allow me to keep the stance and regain the lost travel.  You might want to consider that in the future.

FYI, if you have trouble finding someone to do the work or if it's expensive, RaceTech sells custom fork tubes.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 09/17/18 at 11:00:26

Gary, thanks for the info.  I don't want to take away from NMSavage's build thread so I added the fork tube information to your suspension thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1498156004/36#36

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/17/18 at 11:06:54

Nicely done!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home