Savage Belt (Read 89 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Savage Belt
09/10/18 at 19:04:50

I've been playing with the idea of running a narrower belt on my Savage cafe. first I cut it to 1", then I decided to make one 7/8". I wondered if the skinny little belt would hold up. Kinda wondered whether Suzuki went with such a wide (1-1/2") belt because they felt they needed to, or because of the look. Or both.
Well, I just bought a used belt from a bike that had been running, and I think I answered the question. The belt was beat to crap. Dry rot all over. A pebble had lodged itself between the belt and pulley, and eventually worked it's way all through the belt.
And the darn thing still held together.
So, I'm figuring that if I start with a nice new belt and cut it down, I'll be fine. The extra width is there to have the bike live through cheap ass, clueless  owners who do no maintenance. And it works  Wink

Beat_savage_belt.JPG

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Savage Belt
Reply #1 - 09/10/18 at 19:18:56

It's possible Suzuki found an industrial drive belt already in production and contracted with the manufacturer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/11/18 at 04:58:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/10/18 at 19:18:56:
It's possible Suzuki found an industrial drive belt already in production and contracted with the manufacturer.

Both Suzuki (LS650) and Kawasaki (KZ 440 & KZ750, Vulcan 500)  use the Bando belts on their bikes.  The part number stamped on the Suzuki belt is not a Bando number - but the Suzuki number and is likely proprietary and you can't order it direct from Bando.  You might be able to figure out that the Bando number is.....and then order it from a distributor - you could even order a different width or length.

https://www.bandousa.com/media/uploads/0/54_BUI-1009_IPTP_catalog_Vol_2_9-17.pdf

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/11/18 at 07:35:50

I like the look of the wide belt,... the noise I could live without...
The narrow Sportster belt is completely silent... but it is more rubbery,.. less plasticky...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/11/18 at 14:57:47

That was something I have wondered about, Dave. Thanks

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/28/24 at 05:25:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.