Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
My New Savage: The Build (Read 722 times)
SavageJD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My New Savage: The Build
09/05/18 at 10:37:27

1997 11k miles. One previous owner. Picked up for a steal at $700 in NorthWest Washington state.

About Me: 6” 200lbs. Have built tons of hot rods and bikes over the years. Grew up in a machine shop with a machinist father and now am a 3rd generation machinist. Have access to basically any tool under the sun and am not scared to tear something down deep and see how it ticks.

I’m asking for some tips. I have tried to use the search function on the site but, it doesn’t show any results; no matter what I input.

1. Correct jets for Harley shorty at sea level with some mountain pass riding. And air box delete methods. There is a lack of photos on the forum.

2. Tallest possible Z-Bars without buying extended cables.

3. Compatibility with larger spoke wheels from other models or manufacturers.

Thank you in advance for any links/advice you guys accompany me with. I am aware that there is a wealth of knowledge here and any help in site navigation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

SAVAGEJD

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: My New Savage: The Build
Reply #1 - 09/05/18 at 17:48:06

Welcome JD ! Seems  it's up to me to say something to try to answer your questions. I'd jet for sea level ,you'll be running rich in Mt passes, but that's better than running the bike lean (hotter ) at sea level . from what I see (if correct) your header looks very blue and the carb could already need larger jets and the white spacer mod. Jets when installing an after market air cleaner and or the HD shorty will vary ,we'll need to know your elevation above sea level ,type of air cleaner ,and if the muffler is stock (baffled).
      I'm not to knowledgeable about Z-bars but I THINK 10 inches might be the limit.
      There are cast wheels that can be used from older Suzuki GS bikes, and there are companies that will lace our hubs to larger rims or provide the rims and spokes ,if you wish to do it yourself. Again I'm not the one to tell you . but you'd have to tell use what style you intend the bike to become.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 09/05/18 at 21:46:30

Welcome: regarding 'search', I find google gives me the answers on this forum faster than searching this forum, sad but true. Put 'S40' in search inquiry.
Check the 'build' section for photos etc.
Lots of help here, just ask. Cool
ps: carb at sea level: 52.5/150 works for me with white spacer at half thickness, Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/05/18 at 22:42:38

There isn't a direct bolt on for the front.  the intruder has a 21" wheel but the disk isn't compatible.  but the intruder front end would swap.
For the rear, wouldn't recommend anything larger than 16" or 26" diameter as it wouldn't fit in the swingarm w/out a mod.
Get a jet kit from lancer and you'll have everything you'll need.
Then run thru the jetting instructions in the tech section.
Every bike is different and nobody rides like you.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageJD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/18 at 01:38:58

Hey guys,

Fantastic feedback.

I will definitely get a jet kit from Lancer. If you’re reading this I have paypal waiting  Roll Eyes

I don’t really mind the 19” in the front but would like something else in the rear I suppose? 15” just seems so small. 16” would be great as it can eat up a fender well a little better. The front tire is super wide, haven’t checked the size out, but so wide it throws you out of the leans.

I have been using google for searches on here as well. I noticed that most archived photobucket pictures have vanished, not only on this forum, but basically every forum I use. Must be something they changed or inactive accounts closing.

I’m planning on running 8-10” zbars. Deleting the air box jetting the carbs and finding a slick looking exhaust. I’ll probably end up custom fabbing a rear fender, unless someone knows of another model/manufacturer that has decent/classic look. I Really like the way a savage tank looks. It has all the correct lines screaming chopper/bobber.

The previous owner was such a nice lady I hate to chop this bike up to much, well the wife had a heart-to-heart with the PO when we picked it up so I won’t be busting up my cutting wheel and welder......too much  Cool

She passed on with me the nickname of the bike, Ruby Lou. I’d like to keep that theme as the build progresses in honor of the woman who sold me her beloved savage steed. She never rode this bike on highways or freeways it’s in incredible condition and since she gave me such an amazing price I feel I owe at least this to her.

Thanks guys. I’m exhausting from 14hr day at the plant. Going to hit the search bar a few more times and call it a night.

You all ride safe out there,

SAVAGEJD

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 09/06/18 at 06:25:50

I would lace up an 18" or 19" rear hoop.  If you keep the tire diameter at 26" and keep the stock shocks, you won't have to modify the swingarm or swap out the belt.  

IP Logged
SavageJD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/06/18 at 08:25:13

Ohiomoto,

That’s a great idea. Are you guys stuffing wide tires in the rear? What size is maximum width?

Appreciate all the awesome feedback. I can already tell this is a great forum. Probably one of the better ones I’ve ever used.

SSAVAGEJD

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 09/06/18 at 09:03:20

I went skinny.  If you want to go wide you probably need to mod the swingarm to allow for a bigger tire or maybe go 17".   I don't know if anyone has gone 19" on our bikes, but you would need to stay really skinny.  Like old school skinny.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 09/06/18 at 09:06:30

The problem with a 19" rear is trying to find a tire that isn't for flat-track use. I wanted to use 19's f&r on my street tracker, but elected to go 18's do to the availability of good street tires.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #9 - 09/06/18 at 23:44:48

Avon makes 19" Roadrunner and Roadrider tyres that can be used both as front and rear rubber. They even have a racing compound if you have extra need for grip http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/motorcycle/am26---roadrider

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/07/18 at 02:59:12

faffi wrote on 09/06/18 at 23:44:48:
Avon makes 19" Roadrunner and Roadrider tyres that can be used both as front and rear rubber. They even have a racing compound if you have extra need for grip http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/motorcycle/am26---roadrider

"DO NOT" use any kind of racing compound on the street.  They don't stick well until you get them warmed up, and on public roads you are not working them hard enough to keep them warm.....they will provide less traction than a normal tire when cold.  The sport bike tires have compounds that are sticky when used on public roads - they are completely different than race tire compounds.

The tires you will find to fit the 15/19"" Savage rims (or even 16") are cruiser tires which are compounded for good mileage.  If you change to an 18" rear rim you will be able to find Vintage or Sport Touring tires - they can have softer/stickier compounds at the expense of mileage.......Pirelli Sport Demons only go 6-8K before they are worn out, the Avon Road Rider and Battlax BT45's are a bit better.

SavageJD has posted that he is looking to eliminate the air box, install the tallest Z bars possible, and stuff a big oversize tire in the back - I don't believe he is looking to make his bike a canyon carver......but is more into the bobber/chopper lifestyle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/07/18 at 03:24:27

SavageJD wrote on 09/06/18 at 01:38:58:
I don’t really mind the 19” in the front but would like something else in the rear I suppose? 15” just seems so small. 16” would be great as it can eat up a fender well a little better. The front tire is super wide, haven’t checked the size out, but so wide it throws you out of the leans.

I’m planning on running 8-10” zbars. Deleting the air box jetting the carbs and finding a slick looking exhaust. I Really like the way a savage tank looks. It has all the correct lines screaming chopper/bobber.

The stock 100/90-19 tire is a pretty common size size - unless you are used to seeing the narrow 21" front wheels that a lot of choppers use. You can drop down to a 90/90-19 front tire if you want a smaller tire up front - but it won't fill the front fender up anymore.  I am not sure what tire your bike has on it now - but if the tires are the original IRC and are 22 years old....that could be what is throwing you out on the curves (the stock IRC tires are not very good).

For your chopper/bobber look - I really don't think you want to go to an 18" rear wheel.....that size rim works on Cafe' and Tracker and Traditional style motorcycles - it just doesn't fit the style of a chopper/bobber.  There are some vintage spoked wheels/hubs from Suzuki are 16" that will bolt onto the Savage - I don't know off the top of my head which ones (GS or GT bikes from the 70/80's) - the problem is that they are very narrow 2.15" rims which severely limits your tire choice, and it is very hard to find one that isn't all corroded and nasty.

There is a complete thread on tires for the Savage, and I will post a link at the end of this thread.  The Stock 140/80-15 rear tire is only made by a couple of companies and is hard to find.  If you want the best/quickest handling and want to keep the bike close to stock - a 130/90-15 tire is recommended.  If you want a bigger tire a 140/90-15 is significantly bigger and you have a lot of choices - it does slow the acceleration down, makes the bike a bit less eager to steer, and it is a larger diameter and helps cut down engine rpm when cruising.  It is about as big of a tire that you can fit without rubbing issues.

The stock airbox works well on this bike....if you can stand to keep it you will have a much easier time getting the bike jetted so that it runs well.  Cone filters don't always make your bike run better - and some make it run poorly.

NEW TIRE THREAD:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 09/07/18 at 06:32:27

Dave wrote on 09/07/18 at 03:24:27:

For your chopper/bobber look - I really don't think you want to go to an 18" rear wheel.....that size rim works on Cafe' and Tracker and Traditional style motorcycles - it just doesn't fit the style of a chopper/bobber.  

Say what? If you want old school chopper, bigger hoops with skinny tires fit the look just fine.

IP Logged
SavageJD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/07/18 at 18:08:01

Hey Guys,

The stock air box delete is for looks. Definitely want to use an intake or velocity stack on it. I just like the bare bones look. I love seeing the frame etc.,. I have rejetted many many carbs and been able to tune them with no issues.

Yes, this is going to be a cruiser. I have built my fair share of both choppers and cafe style bikes. The savage frame is perfectly set up for a bobber/chopper look.

I still haven’t been home to get the tire sizes. They are definitely not the original tires as they are fairly new. Not worried about front fender not being filled as it will be replaced with a better looking front fender.

I will be keeping all the stock parts to replace back on the bike when my girl is ready to ride.

I definitely need to figure out a seat situation. For some reason while riding the stock seat forces you forward into an uncomfortable position. I don’t want to modify the frame as I want to be able to put the bike back to stock someday.

Just ordered some 10” z’s. Looking at different muffler set ups. I’ll post up some pics of the progress as I go.

Thanks for the help guys,

SAVAGEJD

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/07/18 at 22:32:26

Dave said

DO NOT" use any kind of racing compound on the street.  They don't stick well until you get them warmed up, and on public roads you are not working them hard enough to keep them warm.

He meant to say

DO NOT" use any kind of racing compound on the street.  They don't stick well until you get them warmed up, and on public roads you will go to JAIL before you are working them hard enough to keep them warm.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 03:44:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My New Savage: The Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.