Further stupidity (Read 228 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Further stupidity
09/05/18 at 03:15:35

So, I had cut down one set of pulleys and a belt to 1" wide because I thought the 1-1/2' stock setup looked ridiculous. Seeing that Big Twin Harleys run a 1" belt, I figured it had more to do do with looks than reality. Of course, maybe their belts are much better.
Anyway, this allowed me to relocate the shock inboard so the left shock doesn't look so goofy.
Of course, why stop there? Considering that I'm using a modified Kawi front pulley, and it gets pretty cosy with the crankcase, I wondered if 7/8" would work. So on another Kawi pulley, I shaved 1/2" off the outboard side and 1/8" off the case side. And cut the rear pulley as well.
Waiting for a few belts to show up in the mail and I'll narrow those as well.
If they break, then it was a bad idea and I'll go back to the more full figured belt. If the belt doesn't break, I'll be thrilled.
With all the chopping and drilling on the Kawi pulley it actually ended up lighter than the stock (smaller) unit. All in all, the whole flog looks like it'll knock 1-1/2 pounds off the bike.
Of course, actually getting the bike running would be nice...

3_Savage_pulleys.JPG

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Re: Further stupidity
Reply #1 - 09/05/18 at 04:35:57

This will be interesting to follow!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/05/18 at 04:48:28

The stock wide belt looks and works fine when the bike is left stock, as the chrome covers hide the belt.....and that goofy extended left shock mount doesn't seem all that noticeable.

When you start to modify the chassis and body and remove the chrome covers - the wide belt and pulley and large offset of the right shock becomes  very noticeable.

I did the best I could to disguise/hide the large offset in the left shock and belt by mounting my license plate on that side.

I really don't know if you need the wide belt for our bike and engine.  The Kawasaki KZ400 used a 1" belt and pulleys - I suspect it made more HP than the Savage....dunno about torque and if that is a belt killer.

I am interested to see your results........

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/05/18 at 05:59:47

Get'er done Armon.  We want to see it done!!!  Smiley

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 09/05/18 at 08:31:54

If you have to narrow a belt ,I'd like to see how you'd do that, I have no idea how hard that might be, or how to approach it. sure is interesting!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #5 - 09/05/18 at 12:08:06

I doubt it's the power or torque numbers of the modest Savage that is the killer of belts, but the heavy power pulses at low rpm and high load - a single will hit hard, then relax, then hit hard again, repeatedly. This erratic power production yank hard on the belt repeatedly. In addition, Suzuki probably erred on the safe side when setting the dimension.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 09/05/18 at 19:07:07

Batmen,
For the first belt, the 1" one, I really wondered what to do-how to cut it? I remembered a guy named Bob Oswald of QPD (Quiet Power Drive) who had developed belt primary and final drives for Brit bikes, as well as electric start conversions. I had talked to him in the 80s, and he was old then. Wasn't sure if he was still around. Found him, and sure enough, he is still at it. Still sharp, and with a million stories about working on Brit Bikes in the day.
I asked him to cut down the Savage belt for me. About a month or two and a lot of phone calls later, he sent me the nicely trimmed down belt for a reasonable fee. In the many conversations, he told me the belt was well made, and that he spent a bit of time deciding how to cut it. Somehow, I had decided that the belt had steel cords or cable in it. Turns out that isn't true. He jigged up a circular blade on his milling machine, held the belt in the vise, and carefully cut it.
Hmm, I thought. It can be cut! So I bought another belt.
Well, at work we have a 3 HP, 460 volt, 3 phase table saw that will cut through anything. I carefully set up the guide and made a lot of passes, gradually raising the blade. All in all, it took about 20 minutes. Pretty easy!
Now I'll do two, 7/8" belts (one for a spare).

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 09/05/18 at 20:33:17

Good info thanks Armen !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 09/08/18 at 19:53:54

As far as the shock offset I cut off left lower mount and made a new mount then welded it on top off swingarm. Cutoff and shortened left upper mount had to make a jig with angle iron and 2 pairs of vise grips to reweld shortened stub to keep it straight while welding. Was a lot of work but I couldn't leave it that way was , it was driving me nuts sticking way out in left field. Looks so much better. Seems to be pretty strong , went off a jump about 3' high at 25 mph about 5' high and close to 30' in distance and none of it broke. Wish I had video of it cause it had to look pretty cool an air born Savage. And I'm sure as hell not going to do it again , had that thought when the front tire hit that mound of dirt "this could be a huge mistake" but it was like I was 16 again a perfect jump. Still scared the crap out of myself.   Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #9 - 09/09/18 at 11:24:40

Cool, Ruttly.
Got a pic?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 09/09/18 at 20:23:19

Armen wrote on 09/09/18 at 11:24:40:
Cool, Ruttly.
Got a pic?

I bet he has a pic of his drawers with a big brown streak down the middle   Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 09/10/18 at 09:06:19

Yup and they are in the mail heading your way !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/10/18 at 09:51:42

EWWW!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 16:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Further stupidity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.