Adjustable levers ? (Read 109 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Adjustable levers ?
09/02/18 at 22:40:56

During a 3 hour ride today, I starting thinking that a lever that fits closer to the bar would make riding more enjoyable/safer.  Has anyone tried these?
cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Adjustable levers ?
Reply #1 - 09/03/18 at 04:14:33

Levers with less clearance between the lever and the grip reduce the amount of travel - this isn't much of a problem on the front brake but can be a problem for the clutch.  The travel can also become a problem if you put oversize grips on.....that requires even bigger hands and reduces lever travel.  Smaller diameter grips help to make for less of a reach to the lever for those with smaller hands.

I am not sure anyone has found a set of adjustable levers - but you can modify yours pretty easily.

Determine how much you want them moved in, take them off and trace the shape, put some white bar soap on the levers and heat them with a propane torch until the soap just begins to turn black, then let them cool - then put them in a vise padded with some wood blocks and use a soft hammer to bend the levers in.  Keep matching them up against your tracing until you have the shape you want.  The aluminum will be soft for a few days - but hard enough to ride with and you can reshape them for a few hours without having to heat them again.  The aluminum hardens at room temperature after a few day.  (Be sure to lube the pivot points when you put them back on).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 09/03/18 at 12:02:17

Dave: Granted you are technically correct, but torching any bike parts is way above my pay grade, and I'm retired!!!! Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #3 - 09/03/18 at 13:33:09

zipidachimp wrote on 09/03/18 at 12:02:17:
Dave: Granted you are technically correct, but torching any bike parts is way above my pay grade, and I'm retired!!!! Cheers! Cool

Stock levers are cheap. Go ahead and give it a try. If you muck it up no big deal.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/03/18 at 13:43:33

Buy one
Play with it
If it's cool
Put it on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 09/03/18 at 22:59:01

Zip ,we are not talking flamethrower! all it takes is a small torch ,the kind you'd use on copper pipe. and a bar of soap.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/04/18 at 07:14:24

Under twenty bucks
Every hardware store
You can get a piece of junk aluminum

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 09/04/18 at 22:22:32

Dave wrote on 09/03/18 at 04:14:33:
I am not sure anyone has found a set of adjustable levers - but you can modify yours pretty easily.

Determine how much you want them moved in, take them off and trace the shape, put some white bar soap on the levers and heat them with a propane torch until the soap just begins to turn black, then let them cool - then put them in a vise padded with some wood blocks and use a soft hammer to bend the levers in.  Keep matching them up against your tracing until you have the shape you want.  The aluminum will be soft for a few days - but hard enough to ride with and you can reshape them for a few hours without having to heat them again.  The aluminum hardens at room temperature after a few day.  (Be sure to lube the pivot points when you put them back on).  

Good tip about the white bar soap I have annealed aluminium by using the soot from an acetylene flame and then heating the part until the soot disappears with the same end result Never knew about the soap though

Hiko   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/04/18 at 23:16:48

Who figures stuff like that out?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 14:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjustable levers ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.