Head Pipe (Read 111 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Head Pipe
09/02/18 at 13:44:15

Have any of you tried to remove the inner (1.27" ID) pipe from the header?  If so, how did you do it?  How difficult was it?

Have any of you installed a larger ID head pipe?  If so, how did it work?  Where did you get it?  How dramatically was your jetting affected?

Do any of you know of someone who actually installed a larger head pipe?  If so, do you have contact info that you can share?

I'm not interested in theoretical info on head pipe diameter.  I'm interested in actual results on the Savage.  Real world, no bull results.

I appreciate any help and/or info on this subject.

Best regards to all, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Head Pipe
Reply #1 - 09/03/18 at 08:10:34

DBM,I bought pipe & muffler on eBay that was new old stock that was a direct fit to the savage. A whopping 2" header-1 7/8 I.D. , muffler got chopped and then I made a repackable core for it. Hard to tell its improvement cause it got ported,97mm piston,mild cam with alittle more lift & duration and a 36mm mikuni all at the same time , then also modded the new carb. It runs like a bat out of hell , funniest bike I've ever built. IMO it seems to be lacking at low rpm but still haven't finished jetting it.
Depending on the level of engine mods 1 5/8 or 1 3/4" I.D. might be better. Once carb is dialed then I can mess with exhaust baffle I made it with 2 removable baffles. All in all it works great and looks great.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/03/18 at 14:51:55

Thanks for the info Ruttly.  By any chance do you have some pictures of your Beast?  I'd really like to see it.

If you feel the need to reduce the ID of your head pipe, here is an inexpensive solution that will keep it looking exactly the same on the outside.  It works good and is easy to do.  The setup pictured is 1.5" ID.

Flex_pipe_feeding.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/03/18 at 18:16:45

DragBikeMike wrote on 09/03/18 at 14:51:55:
If you feel the need to reduce the ID of your head pipe, here is an inexpensive solution that will keep it looking exactly the same on the outside.  It works good and is easy to do.  The setup pictured is 1.5" ID.

Isn't that going to rattle....a lot?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 09/03/18 at 22:40:58

Not after it rusts solid,  but I think it will have a negative affect on flow.It might work better if you shoved it in the intake port.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/03/18 at 22:47:50

It doesn't rattle at all....and.....it actually seems to have reduced the noise output a bit.  The audible noise is now at a lower frequency and possibly a lower volume, such that the intake noise now seems to be on par with exhaust noise.  It's starting to sound kind of like a twin cylinder engine.

Performance seems very good (seat-o-da-pants).  Majorly affects jetting, wants lots more fuel.  I like it so far.  Very interested about what other members have experienced with installation of a larger head pipe.  The stock pipe seems grossly undersize.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 13:20:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.