Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking of trading a 15 CBR300R for a 15 S40 (Read 52 times)
japan617
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thinking of trading a 15 CBR300R for a 15 S40
08/31/18 at 14:14:09

Hi there!

New member here and thank you for the add. A local guy has a bone stock 2015 S40 with 900 miles on it. He claims and it looks like it has never been dropped. I have a 2015 CBR300R that is clean besides a tiny rash/dent on the exhaust end with 11,000 miles on it.

My bike is currently setup for me. I installed aftermarket brake & clutch levers, tank grips, USB charger, and a phone mount.  All I do these days is ride back and forth out of downtown which can be done on a Vespa.

He's interested in trading for a "sport bike" and I've been thinking of trying a cruiser for the long term. Do you think this a fair trade? The CBR goes for 8k between official service intervals and is known to have a bullet proof engine. From what I've read the Savage has an issue with the cam tensioner that can be remedied fairly easily. Other then that, it would require more frequent oil changes. Another concern I have is I store my bike outside since I don't have a garage with a motorcycle cover over it. Dallas isn't too humid since the sun beats down moisture fairly quickly, the CBR doesn't seem to care too much since most of the contact points are plastic. Would I have more issues with corrosion with the Savage?

Thanks

James

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Thinking of trading a 15 CBR300R for a 15 S40
Reply #1 - 08/31/18 at 17:24:09

Can't answer that question. Both are great light-weight bikes and both are dependable. Different style bikes appeal to different people...at different times of their lives. Why don't you guys try swapping for a day - at the end of the day you'll both know the answer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Re: Thinking of trading a 15 CBR300R for a 15 S40
Reply #2 - 09/03/18 at 05:40:41

I bought a 2013 S40 brand new in '14 as a means of commuting back and forth to work at a University.  My round trip is about 5 miles.   I wipe mine down with a detailing spray almost every night before covering, which I also do every night and use anti-corrosive sprays on nuts and bolts.    People still comment it looks brand new, but I'm pretty particular about taking care of vehicle appearances.

As for reliability,  it's been an exceptionally reliable bike for me (couple of minor electrical issues with the lights which were fixed by $10 part).

I've never had a sport bike, and this was actually my first motorcycle so I can't comment as to which one you'd like better.  Mine has some small saddle bags on the bag giving it a nice cruiser finish.  Don't think you can go wrong in terms of reliability with the engine.  No cam chain issues for me and i'm over 6000 miles atm.

Good luck

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 17:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking of trading a 15 CBR300R for a 15 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.