Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom length clutch and throttle cables (Read 137 times)
Clyde
YaBB Newbies

Manakin Sabot, VA
Custom length clutch and throttle cables
08/31/18 at 12:24:51

So I'm starting to work on my new to me 87 Savage.  The previous owner put some mini-apes on it and I like the way it looks but he didnt replace the cables so the clutch is routed next to the cylinder and the throttle cable is so tight that breathing on the throttle makes it rev.  Any one know a good source for custom length cables?

-Clyde

2017 Harley Davidson Street 750
1980 Yamaha XS650 Special (Soon to be a cafe racer)
1987 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Custom length clutch and throttle cables
Reply #1 - 09/01/18 at 05:32:56

I can have custom cable made for you.
I am a dealer for Barnett.  They are not cheap but are quality items.
Depending on length the cost is in the range of $70 for throttle and about $90 for clutch cable.  New stainless brake lines are also available.
If interested contact me for instructions on how to determine exact lengths needed for your application.

IP Logged
Clyde
YaBB Newbies

Manakin Sabot, VA
Reply #2 - 09/03/18 at 13:18:15

Will do.  As soon as I get a measurement I will PM you.  Thanks!!!

2017 Harley Davidson Street 750
1980 Yamaha XS650 Special (Soon to be a cafe racer)
1987 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #3 - 09/04/18 at 09:51:41

Hello, I want to add 4" risers under stock handlebars. So the way I see it, I would want 4" longer than stock cables. Am I thinking this correct? Oh the bike I'm working on is a '99

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Eddie Picasso
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/04/18 at 15:50:10

I replaced both throttle and clutch cables. I used a push bike brake cable and two solder on nipples for the throttle, and a universal clutch cable off Ebay, with a soldered nipple at the engine end. £24 for both and they work fine.
Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 09/05/18 at 06:44:56

To get an accurate measure of the new cables/ line needed you should remove the tank and seat, mount your new bars with hand controls, and then use an old household electrical cord with the ends cut off and lay it from the bar controls mount point, down the bars and around the forks, down the backbone and to the attachment point on the carb  or clutch attachment, or brake line attachment.  Mark the point of carb/clutch/brake on the cord and then pull it off the bike and stretch it out straight on a flat surface and measure the length to within 1/4”.  Do this for each cable/brake line.  
Be sure to check for extra needed when the bars are turned left and right.
If you do this you will get a cable that fits your application.  I’ve had folks who just added inches based on bars that were 8-10-12” over stock and they ended up with cables that were WAY to long.  It is not just a matter of adding inches.
If anyone has questions about the process contact me and we can talk.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #6 - 09/08/18 at 13:41:10

LANCER wrote on 09/05/18 at 06:44:56:
To get an accurate measure of the new cables/ line needed you should remove the tank and seat, mount your new bars with hand controls, and then use an old household electrical cord with the ends cut off and lay it from the bar controls mount point, down the bars and around the forks, down the backbone and to the attachment point on the carb  or clutch attachment, or brake line attachment.  Mark the point of carb/clutch/brake on the cord and then pull it off the bike and stretch it out straight on a flat surface and measure the length to within 1/4”.  Do this for each cable/brake line.  
Be sure to check for extra needed when the bars are turned left and right.
If you do this you will get a cable that fits your application.  I’ve had folks who just added inches based on bars that were 8-10-12” over stock and they ended up with cables that were WAY to long.  It is not just a matter of adding inches.
If anyone has questions about the process contact me and we can talk.

Great tip for getting the accurate measurement on custom cables LANCER!
You know if I have any questions I'll give you a shout!!
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Rglad91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/12/18 at 20:49:09

LANCER wrote on 09/01/18 at 05:32:56:
Depending on length the cost is in the range of $70 for throttle and about $90 for clutch cable.  New stainless brake lines are also available.
If interested contact me for instructions on how to determine exact lengths needed for your application.

What’s the average cost for new stainless brake cable?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 09/14/18 at 17:03:56

Rglad91 wrote on 09/12/18 at 20:49:09:
LANCER wrote on 09/01/18 at 05:32:56:

What’s the average cost for new stainless brake cable?

Been dealing with a growing water leak in the bathroom, closet and maybe the living room.  Mold, rotten wood, etc etc.  Yep, fun stuff.

Stainless brake cable:  $65, $7 shp

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/14/18 at 20:36:04

Been dealing with a growing water leak in the bathroom, closet and maybe the living room.  Mold, rotten wood, etc etc.  Yep, fun stuff.

That's terrible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:57:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom length clutch and throttle cables

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.